5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 5, 2009 1:23 PM by Andrew Easton RSS

Global use of Jive

Roy Wilsker

I'd appreciate input from other Jive users.

How do you handle how your international users use Jive? The main situation I'm concerned about is, say, a set of German or French users creating discussions, blogs, etc., in their native tongue hat would be less likely to show up in searches due to the language issue.

Basically: How do you balance the fact that it's easier for a person who's native tongue is not English to communicate in his or her own language (and with others who speak that same language) with the fragmentation that creates on the overall global site?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e1/Brueghel-tower-of-babel.jpg

• Re: Global use of Jive
          Gia Lyons
          DOH! I owe you a scrubbed T&C from an EMEA client...
            Ted Hopton

We make clear that the language of our company is English, and so we prefer content in Jive to be in English -- and the vast majority of it is, even in places where English is not the employee's native language.

However, we are not getting high levels of adoption in many of those places, so we are going to re-position the tool as something they can use locally in their native language and encourage them to use it that way. We hope that over time this will lead to increased comfort with the system, and make posting content in English feel less like a double-whammy (I have to write everything correctly in a foreign language *and* use this strange software).

Claire Flanagan

We set no rules on this   Jive allowed users to set their preferences and we let them use it.

• Some users cried out "not fair" I can't read their posts.
              • Other users thought, "wow, for the first time I can collaborate in my native tongue"
              • We thought - let's see what happens.

We actually like it because we are seeing 'global' adoption in countries our other tools have not. I presented to our EMEA CIO Council last week and one of the guys on the call said he's SHOCKED at the numbers of his colleagues are joining in from countries they have not 'heard' from in our other collaboration tools.

Does it create anxiety for English speaking colleagues. You bet. (I'd love a 'translator' in the future release, Jive Software).

But does it did allow us to make a bold statement when we released this that we meant we wanted folks to collaborate and learn more about the company and each other. And for many folks, while English might be the language of business, it is not often as easy for folks to converse in so fluently.

This policy could change. But for now, because the tool makes it so easy for the user to use, we are leaving it alone.

Roy Wilsker

Claire and Ted -

Thank you both very much for your prompt responses. They were enormously helpful.

Roy

We set no rules and tried to replicate real life as much as possible. Like claire we have a split decision in the organization.

- oh no - but but how do i find a skill set, find a document, join a discussion

- oh wow - indigenous language - helps onboard employees who are not high up in the food chain

- oh oh - im not sure

Our general response is what do you today ?

What we did have to do is

- tailor our Help Information(docs, videos) to local languages

- terms in conditions at login in local languages

- identify champions who are local so if a user wants help we have someone close to home

- our local internal comms teams are already translating bulletins/news so its just a matter of putting them up on Jive or  connecting to intranets..etc(RSS)

/ Andrew