9 Replies Latest reply: Nov 10, 2009 4:22 PM by Gordon Sorensen RSS

Difference between Communities and Spaces

Hi there,

can anybody explain the difference between Communities and Spaces. I am a little bit confused. In the JIVESPACE Community I cannot find the term "spaces" or "sub-spaces".

I thought that a community is a single instance of the jive software meaning that customers create only one community and structure their collaboration through spaces, sub-spaces, groups and projects.

• Re: Difference between Communities and Spaces
          Yoshi Takahashi

We struggled with this nomenclature in our environment.  After many user questions as to the differences between the two, I bit the bullet and substituted all instances o the term 'Space' to 'Community' or 'Communities'.  I think that now for the users, it is very clear that there is only one content structure and way of thinking of containers (if you conveniently forget the questions regarding 'Groups' and 'Projects').

Adding to Yoshi's response, "Space" and "Spaces" are the default name for one type of Place (other places are Groups and Projects) employee-facing deployments of Jive SBS whereas "Community" and "Communities" are the default name for that same type of Place in public-facing deployments like Jivespace.

You're right that the term "community" gets overloaded to mean both the overall community as well as specific communities in public-facing Jive SBS deployments and this can lead to confusion. You can rename Spaces or Communities like Yoshi did if that will help eliminate the confusion.

Ok. Thanx to both of you. This really helped. One more question about projects. What is the real reason that projects have to be placed within communities or sub-communities. Since they are a container for themselves and all project centric content is stored under this object, I don't see any reason to be under a community. Perhaps it's due to the fact that a project is inheriting the permissions of a parent community???

You're right, the reason that Projects exist only inside of other Places is to keep the permission model simplified. Projects inherit their permissions from their containing Place.

Yoshi Takahashi

Actually, using the vernacular of SBS, Projects do not generally reside in 'Places'.  They can only reside in Spaces (Communities in our environment).  If the reason for Projects to reside in Spaces is purely for cascading permissions, then I'm uncertain why they could not exist in Groups as well, speaking from a purely logical perspective, because Groups have similar permissioning capabilities.  That said, this is one of the puzzlers that our users have when being introduced to the environment.  They say, "why can't Communities have Groups?", "Why can't groups have sub-groups?", "Why can't our Group have a Project?"

It falls on the community manager to smooth out the rough implementation (the tool) by detailing a compelling use narrative (the practice).

You're right Yoshi. Projects in Groups is an improvement to the product that you'll see in a future release for sure.

Olivia Teich

Hi Yoshi,

Now that 4.0 has been publicly released, I wanted to follow up on Greg's last comment: with 4.0, you can now have Projects in Groups. In addition, we've introduced the new concept of Categories. Most of the time that we heard about sub-groups, people were not looking to change membership or permissions, but rather to better organize information. Categories work like folders to organize information in a place, effectively providing those sub-groupings without adding another permissions layer. This also has the benefit of letting you put content into multiple categories and, if a category changes or is no longer useful, you can modify or delete it without affecting the related content. I hope this helps!

Back to the original question, I am curious: if we were to use only the term Communities or Spaces for both public and employee communities, which one (or neither) do you think best describes these places?

Thanks,

Olivia