15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2010 3:11 AM by Shailyhere

Is it possible to move a space into another space (as a subspace) in SBS express

roberto monge

I wanted to move a top level folder to become a subspace of another top level space but I didn't see an obvious way to do that in Express.  I remember I had that capability with the ClearSpace admin tool.

• Re: Is it possible to move a space into another space (as a subspace) in SBS express
          oliver.young

Hi Roberto, I'm sorry to say that with Express it's not possible to move top level folders like you described. It is possible in the on premise or hosted versions of SBS (what was once Clearspace) but such admin capabilities are not available for Express. If this is a major issue for you we may be able to do some work behind the scenes, but I would need to check with a few of our developers. If you'd like us to explore that option further just shoot an email over to concierge@jivesoftware.com.

• Re: Is it possible to move a space into another space (as a subspace) in SBS express
              roberto monge

That's a real bummer.  I've been a clearspace user since pre-release and I must have moved folder structures around at least 30 times as needs changed.  This makes it a bit difficult to have your structure be emerge over time.  I had thought I'd have the same admin console in Express that a regular on-site instance would have.

oliver.young

Thanks for the feedback; I absolutely agree with you that such a restriction on structure emergence could be a major downside to the offering. The change has been added to our list of possible feature improvements and hopefully we will have good news to report in the near future.

matt

Two quick things to add:

1) We moved more space administration items into the end-user UI in the next major release (coming very soon). I think that might solve some of this problem.

2) If there's a gap in functionality left, we should be able to close it fairly quickly and easily. It's an oversight that better space management isn't in Express right now.

roberto monge

That's good news Matt.   I recently ran into another issue related to space management.  I've had success with this structure before:

• Func team 1
                            • private folder 
                          • Func team 2
                            • private folder
                          • Products
                            • product 1
                            • product 2

The functional team grouping is always asked for becuase people want a place were issues important to their group can be discussed.  The private folder allows for some conversations to be kept private and finally the Products areas allow the mingling of functional teams to address product issues.

I can't seem to give the sub-space (private folders) their own permisssions.  The UI shows that it only allows for inherited permissions on sub-spaces.  I don't want to make the top level folder a private folder because that's encouraging the silos.  This is causing people to want to use the Groups for the Functional Teams but then they tend to just make the private groups and we the benefits of company wide open areas. They don't want to make it a open group because they want some private conversations.

matt

Our initial goal with Express permissions was to a) keep it as simple as possible and b) push people towards social groups since social groups have a lot of built-in permissions flexibility. The other nice thing about social groups is that they are very explicit about who is allowed to see what (as opposed to spaces where you have to trust that the administrator is keeping permissions up to date. One thing I've seen happen that's worked well at Jive is creating two groups for functional teams -- "Func team 1" and "Func team 1 (PRIVATE)". The downside is that the private group isn't a sub-group, but I haven't actually seen that be an issue in practice. Do you think that will work as a workaround?

We totally overhauled permissions in the next major release (coming very soon!). While we won't have a way to expose all the power of the new framework immediately in Express, it's going to be a lot easier to get there if the work gets prioritized based on continued customer feedback around Express permissions.

Thanks,

Matt

roberto monge

Yeah I really like the group permission stuff when it came out precisely because it didn't necessarily need me to manage the space permissions.  I ended up shying from groups thought because they lacked sub-spaces, and projects:

Gia suggests that departmental communities should be spaces and groups for more adhoc user groups:

http://www.jivesoftware.com/jivespace/thread/58147

From a functional perspective, Communities/Spaces are created by a select few who've been given space admin privileges. They should generally be used to provide a high-level structure to your Clearspace instance, and should include both cross-departmental communities and, if necessary, departmental communities

(Groups) .. are independent of spaces, and should be used to create ad hoc groups around a specific topic. Those topics can range from "Ice Cream Fanatics" to a group of people who may actually want to get some work done.

That's usually how I'd used them in the past due to the differences between spaces and groups.

Here's what would make me switch to groups for departmental usage vs spaces:

1. Ability to add an alias link to the Space hierarchy to a group space (this is handy for new users in a small company).  We only have 3 departments and if the landing space hierarchy is bare it makes users wonder where to start.  This familiarity of where to start is one of the reasons I like making departmental spaces.  The current navigating to group spaces is not intuitive for a new user.  If there was a "Marketing Group" space link in the Space navigation it would be much easier.   You could also just add Groups to the top level space navigation and that would be a big improvement.
                                  2. Ability to have SubSpaces and Projects in Groups.
                                  3. Ability to have public areas in a private group would avoid having 2 different groups.  I don't really want to make everyone joing the public group and the private group, I just want the public areas exposed inside of a private group.

Thanks.  I look forward to seeing the new build and hope that some of the permissions stuff trickles into Express. I didn't realize there would be so many functional differences.

Back in October you mentioned that moving spaces, and enhanced admin in this are was "coming soon".  I still don't see the ability to move a space/subspace.  Is that coming soon?