7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 4, 2009 11:20 AM by Ted Hopton RSS

Can you get the Member Profile report to finish running?

Ted Hopton

I hit "run query" on the Member Profile report about 15 minutes ago, I believe. Still spinning.

This report will become the foundation for my reporting back to local community managers, so I really want to have a copy of it (in Excel).

• Re: Can you get the Member Profile report to finish running?
          Ted Hopton

25 minutes later, still spinning...

Ted Hopton

Still running... is it possible it really takes this long and will complete, or is it stuck?

Ted,

There is definitely something tweaky here - however, I found that if I plug in a start date (I tried 6/1/2009) at the opening prompt it runs ok (~20 secs).

I also addded a filter so that you can restrict the results to individual profile fields - see screenshot below:

annotated member profile.png

Ted Hopton

Interesting... thanks. Now, please help me understand the Creation Date field. We started creating user accounts in June 2008. So, in order to pull in all of our members, I assume I need to set a report time frame start date of 6/1/2008. Is that right?

I ran the report successfully using a 6/1/2009 start date. I have now run the query again with a 6/1/2008 start date. It has been spinning for 5 minutes or so.

The filter you added, and the tip for how to add my own, are both useful. However, what I really want to be able to do is filter the results by UBM Company, not restrict the report to displaying UBM Company. I.e., I want all the data the raw report provides, but I want the report either sorted into UBM Companies or sliced to only display one UBM Company's employees at a time.

Ted Hopton

Had to kill the query -- never stopped spinning. And now the site seems hosed for me. I suspect something got hung up and didn't close properly when I cancelled that query. It would be good to know how to clear the cache or whatever needs to be done when this happens.

I tried closing the page and re-opening it in a new browser (Chrome) tab, but no luck. Then I switched to Firefox and it seems okay there. I set the start date for the query to 5/1/2009 and ran it. It completed in about 30 seconds.

Ted Hopton

I saved the report in Excel for 6/1/2009 - 12/1/2009. Then I ran another one for 1/1/2009 - 5/30/2009. It's taking a long time to finish, so maybe 6 months is still too large a chunk of data to return? I want to save it in Excel, too, and keep running 6 month reports until I have all the time periods covered, and then combine them in Excel so I have the data I need. Going forward, I can just run smaller reports and add to my Excel database.

Kind of a shame I have to still rely on Excel, but I'm used to it and it gives me ultimate flexibility.

So, it would still be worth finding out what the limit is on a query -- when does it become too big to be completed? I just had to kill that query as it seems to be stuck. Will have to try a smaller one.

Ted Hopton

I've given up on this report. I couldn't even get it to return a month's worth of data (May 2009).

I copied it to my Personal reports and removed the date range filter (which has no purpose now that I think about it: creation date has nothing to do with pulling up-to-the-minute data into the report). Instead I created a filter on Profile Field Name and selected just the required fields in our profiles. That report is running pretty well.