3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 28, 2010 9:03 AM by arose RSS

Number of active threads per month by community?

arose

Hi-

One of my community managers asked me for some data and I was wondering if it was possible to get it using the Business Objects reporting?

They were looking for a report that showed the number of active threads per month by community.  They wanted to see this in two ways.  

1) Number of threads in a community that had not been marked answered during a particular month.

2) Since some members don't come back and mark a thread as answered they also wanted to see the number of threads in a community with no replies during a particular month.

Are either of these reports possible using BO?  In looking at the available objects I couldn't figure out a way to do this.

Thanks,

Andy

• Re: Number of active threads per month by community?
          arose

I just got some additional information on this request.  What they are actually looking for is the number of threads (per container) in a given month that have one or more replies posted to them during that month.  I'm still not clear how I would do this in BO.  Anyone have any insight on this?

Thanks,

Andy

Hey Andy,

Here is one approach to get the number of posts (message) per thread per container.  The query design below will return the count of "Creates" for the Thread Subject.  It will also show the count of "Creates" for messages associated with that thread.  The trick is to differentiate based on the actual Thread Subject - messages will have the prefix "Re:...." and the count of "creates" associated with that will reflect the number of posts in the thread.

posts per thread.png

This example includes Container Name so that you can use a drill filter to select threads from a specific container.

The report looks like this:

posts per thread2.png

The top line for each Thread reflects the creation of the thread and the  count will always be '1'.

The second line shows the number of subsequent messages associated with the post.

The drop -down filter allows you to pick the container.

I added this to your BO instance at the top level so you can move it wherever is appropriate.

best,

dan

arose

Hi Dan-

This report is helpful.  I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to roll this data up into a summary report for each container on another tab that shows the number of active threads (threads with at least one reply) vs. the number of threads that have not received a reply?  To get this I'm thinking you would have to somehow produce a summary that showed the total number of threads whose activity count sum =1 (no replies) and those whose sum >1 (active).  Is there a way to do this?

Thanks,
                  Andy