5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 24, 2012 11:50 AM by Bruce Hoppe RSS

Tag Management

tristankime

Does anyone have a thoughts managing Tags?  We filter out offensive language but beyond that there are no real rules for tags.  I'm finding that as our tag clouds grow there are bunch of words are similar but spelled a little differently for common themes.  You end up having this huge list of tags that are

Do most community managers allow the cloud to be self-managed or do you consolidate and aggregate tags?

• Re: Tag Management
          Gia Lyons

Hi,

In working with several Jive customers as a strategy consultant for 18 months, I've found that many eventually collect similar tags into categories to help with easier content navigation. Managing the Jive Community myself now, I'm going to need to carve out time to do that very thing, particularly in the Business community, since we recently merged all its sub-communities into it.

Some customers, however, create tag categories early, in order to guide members in using them in a more prescribed way. I've found that this works well when the content is already rather well-known, such as a list of products and services. It doesn't work quite as well when you don't know what the content will be until enough people have contributed, such as in support communities.

I've invited some other Jive external community managers to this brand new group, so I hope they will also be able to share some insight.

tristankime

Thanks for the reply.  I think we are well beyond being able to create tag categories and direct tags but we may be able to use tag groups to help.  I'll play around with the tag admin and see what works.

Suzanne O'Brien

ttk104 wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  I think we are well beyond being able to create tag categories and direct tags but we may be able to use tag groups to help.  I'll play around with the tag admin and see what works.

When you create a new category you can specify the tags that will be automatically be pulled into that category.  Then after a user filters by a category they see the tags that have been used within that category.  That might help you begin to develop some organization.

Bruce Hoppe

Suzanne O'Brien wrote:

When you create a new category you can specify the tags that will be automatically be pulled into that category.

Does this automatic pulling in happen every time a new post with tag gets published? Or does this automatic pulling in happen only once, when the category is created?

I want it to happen every time a new post is submitted, so that posts automatically get categorized if they are tagged appropriately. However, I can't get this to work. So I am guessing that the automatic pulling in is done only once. Can someone please confirm?

Bruce Hoppe

As a fan of this topic, I am pulling together some related threads: