48 Replies Latest reply: Aug 7, 2013 2:19 PM by jasonrood80 RSS

Determining how many are using Your View

Brice Jewell

I'm trying to determine how many of our users have set Your View as their default tab. Is that preference stored in the database? Has anyone found a way to measure this that we're overlooking?

• Re: Determining how many are using Your View
          Nils Bolsen

Our customer had the same question last week. I gave them the results of this query.

select * from jiveUserProp where propValue = 'personalized';

- Nils

Brice Jewell

Thanks very much Nils.  However, in a community of 25k, only 448 have Your View as the default tab.  I was shocked.  We've focused on the value of Your View in all of our adoption campaign efforts, and I couldn't believe how little it was being used as the default tab.

Nils Bolsen

we have around the same number of users and only 44!

Robert Dell'Immagine

I'm curious what Jive sees across its customer base.  If the three cases reported here so far are representative, then community users don't seem to perceive the value in Your View, which would be interesting to know.  BTW, I haven't enabled this functionality in the community I run.

Vinh Jones

I can't report any information from our hosted customers, but I can talk to our IT team about running the query against the Jive Community and get you guys info on that. Let me look into this and get back to you.

Vinh Jones

Will pointed out the current query we're using returns the number of users who have personalized their view AND set it to the default, so the count will be much smaller than expected. This query will return all users who have ever modified their personal view:

select count(*) from jivewlayoutframe where parentObjectType=3 and published=1;

Where the parentObjectID represents the userID, in case you want to join it to jiveUser to see the user details.

Jive Community has 38K users and 566 have modified their personal view.

Brice Jewell

Thanks Vinh.  Based on that query, we have 3872 users who have personalized their Your View and only 448 who have it set as default.  That’s a better story, but still not quite what I hoped.

grahamkenville

I got curious and ran the queries. Our internal community has ~930 users. It is just over three years old.

select * from jiveUserProp where propValue = 'personalized';

gives us 8 rows.

select count(*) from jiveWLayoutFrame where parentObjectType=3 and published=1;

returns 60.

I use the personalized page and it's a great feature. It's too bad people are missing out.

Maybe more people would use it if there were no longer separate tabs for All Content and Your View. All users would start with the system default page but with a customize link.

Another possibility is that people go to customize the page and can't figure out the mechanics. I've had space administrators put in tickets stating they couldn't edit space home pages. It turned out they didn't know to click the button in the top right of the widgets to edit them.

Walter Gildersleeve

Note that there was a bug that made the Your View tab the default tab as soon as the user modified it, without setting it as the default in the DB  This might elevate the count of people actively using the Your View tab.

The bug was CS-21659, fixed in 2.5.25, 3.0.16, 4.0.7 and 4.5.0.

Tracy Maurer

I would guess it is less about perceived value and more about investment of time combined with a lack of confidence. Even though setting up Your View doesn't really take technical expertise, it is perceived as more technical. I've been surprised at how shy people are about using anything beyond what they need to. I'd be willing to bet that it isn't much different than the numbers you'd see for those who have customized their Twitter homepages or other such things. People get nervous taking steps like that - fear of failure, fear of the unknown - not sure quite what it is.

Amanda Shenon

When I attended the Boston road show event there was the same feedback – none of the Jive users polled in our session had a user base that used Your View.

We are emphasizing it more in our training but we still only see usage by select users.  What we’ve found is that instead of using Your View, people gravitate to their team area.  They will always browse to their team space (functional team, project team, whatever) and then create content there. Their first act is either to navigate to their team’s area or use a browser bookmark to get there, avoiding our home page and the Your View area entirely.

Where we’ve seen more positive feedback on Your View is in using it to create a personal link list and to watch areas they are casual participants in.  Users link to permalinked views of search results, sorted documents, filtered views etc. that they want to get back to quickly.  People have also saved their most common search parameters and they use a link to that to start search vs. the main search.  These are things that save them time vs. necessarily showing them what’s going on in the community.

The use cases above are definitely from more active users who are also more comfortable with the technology.

I think the activity streams could be more useful with some context and then perhaps people would use and rely on them more.  For example, we’ve had a long-standing request for a “change note” type of feature on documents.  If users could state what and why they changed something, I think that would have a lot more value than just notifying people that a change occurred.  Users would feel more like they could just watch a dashboard and know what’s going on vs. having to dive into everything in order to get the context.    See here: http://www.jivesoftware.com/jivespace/ideas/1191  for more info on this.

David Montgomery

One approach that our customers take is to "advertise" Jive features like this with links to helpful tips, a video, etc.  This might be good candidate for that, and could be accomplished via an HTML widget with a link/graphic that sends users to video clip demonstrating how to configure one's Your View tab.

Tracy Maurer

We have done this - both emphasizing this in training sessions, as well as having both text and slideshow documentation that we've placed in Featured Content widgets to draw attention to it. I've also tried taking the tack that since it is Your View and no one else can see it, it is a great place to "play" and learn how to use the platform. But still, limited success. I like Amanda's point about it still takes work to see WHAT has actually changed. Even when you go view a document that was edited, it isn't always clear what is new.

Claire Flanagan

This just in from CSC (with Vinh's help since we're hosted!! - thanks Vinh) . . .

You have 62004 users, 1478 of which have modified their personalized  view and 253 (!) of those have set the personalized view as their  default.
                                      Olivia Teich

Great discussion, and very timely! We have been taking a closer look recently at the number of users who personalize their home page, as well as those who set it to their default, as part of our design work on Jive 5. The numbers you're seeing are pretty consistent with the larger samples we've taken.

The percent of users who have personalized their page in Jive is consistently low. This matches what's seen on sites across the Web. Even when My Yahoo! was the number one landing page on the Web, personalization rates were below 10%.

From what I've seen, read, and heard from experts on this over the years, the most significant reason for low personalization rates is that, given a reasonable default, people aren't willing to invest in tailoring something just for themselves that no one else will ever see. They're much more willing to invest time in shaping an experience or perception for others, especially when that investment will reflect back on them. I bet you would all find significantly higher customization rates on place home pages than personal views!

So what does this mean in a product like Jive? Well, for one thing, we're investing heavily in Jive 5 in better personalizing the experience across the board, without requiring any explicit action or effort by the user. One way you'll see this manifest is in recommendations throughout Jive. We're also taking a much closer look at the landing page experience, especially for employees where a more personalized view makes sense. (Many public communities disable Your View completely, and the All Content page will still be the default.) With Jive 5, you'll see a big evolution of the employee landing page experience with the introduction of What Matters, which will help immediately draw people into what they need to see, know, and do, as well as what they may be interested in and have otherwise missed. Must-see information like Announcements can also be better delivered (and read-tracked) in this context. We'll still support personalization for the power users, but we firmly believe that with a focus on What Matters, we can improve the experience for newbies and experts alike.

We're really excited for what's coming in Jive 5 and we'll be sharing more on this with you over the next several months as we continue to evolve and refine the experience.

Kevin Crossman
                                          given a reasonable default, people aren't willing to invest in tailoring something just for themselves

Since we have the lowest percentage of Your View customization then this statement must mean we have the best default home page. We win!!  Thanks for taking a sad song and making it better.

Claire Flanagan

Olivia, I realize this data might be consistent with what you've seen. Yet it is also one of the most important tools we can offer our "power users" and one that we often promote as way to personalize how one views the noise.

I'm actually hoping Jive does not program out that very important choice and allow administrators to decide if users still have this view available. In the past we've used Plumtree portal and Websphere portal, and the mere fact that personalize was non-existent (or low at best) makes Jive a win for people who need it. We actually expect to do a more rigorous campaign around this very feature since, as you know, C3 will become our primary internal tool (with our Portal and Project Centers shutting down by October, this one feature will be receiving a bigger push).

Please don't engineer out the personalization choice that has been the hallmark of why this product rocked against so many others - regardless of what Jive thinks is important to a user, they often want to feel in control. Let's not dismiss few, for an enterprise like ours, they are just as important as the masses.

Ok, just my two cents. Thanks!

Claire Flanagan

By the way, Olivia, your new avatar rocks! Nice shot. Can't wait to see you and the team in a few weeks!!

LG .

I'd say that the default view is much too good, so there's no need to create a personal view. Anyhow one should try to keep it as is, a low rate of personal views may be what a good screen designer (you, as long as little customization is done) expects. We have 50 personalized views for 9000 active users at igniterealtime.org.

Brice Jewell

I don't think that is a universal truth. It is going to vary by Jive community based on the scope of the community and the needs of your audiences.  If you have a more narrow scope and audience, then what you say is possible.  We have a broad community with multiple audiences, and our content is spread across hundreds of spaces and thousands of groups. Popular documents and discussions for one audience are not the same for another. Recent content widgets of any type are fairly useless on All Content unless you log in every few hours (and our clients do not). For example, my Recent Content widget is currently set to only show discussions and return 100 results.  It's 8am now, and the oldest item in the list is 13 hours old. What we really need is an automagical filter that filters those results based on what I really care about, which is why I'm eager to see more of the chatter filter stuff in 5.0 at JW10.

Tracy Maurer

Very good explanation, Brice. It is the same for our community. There is SOME information that should/could carry across the entire organization. But for the most part, that is not the case. And people being people, they want to see what matters to them, not necessarily what matters to the company (hence the point of “social” media and allowing the users to drive the direction).

LG .

"Recent content widgets of any type are fairly useless on All Content" I (don't) agree. Anyhow a customer which is not small will likely not buy 10 SBS licenses to have a unique installation for every department even if this would make sense to separate content and then to bridge it to a global intranet.

Would it make sense

• to have a software layer above "spaces" which allows to separate departments?
                                                          • to set the Recent Content Widget to "Only show content from the places you follow."?
                                                            A new user may have a big problem as it does not follow any places and is not a member of groups, but maybe Jive can extend SBS so one can set space or group membership according to LDAP properties like department, job function, ...

I don't like that "edit Your View" does always offer to edit the layout as I usually only edit the settings of widgets. Maybe this is also something which stops users from customizing the page.

Simon Scullion

Looks like I'm one of the very few in the minority of using their personalised "Your View"!

So I thought I'd share, I have 5 widgets on my personal page, listed in order of importance:

1. Your connections
                                                        2. Status updates
                                                        3. Bookmarks (set to watch a specific tag)
                                                        4. Your groups
                                                        5. Places

4 & 5 I could live without easily, and 3 could be done in other ways.

But "Your Connections" is EVERYTHING to the way I consume and participate on our Jive platform. For me it is pretty much all people-centric, and I'd be lost without this!

I only occasionally pop over to the main homepage.

This is how I make the experience relevant to ME. The "recommendations" you mention in v5 sound very interesting, as does "What Matters".

However this is great for an established "power user". I see the issue very differently for a new user of an established site. It is very difficult for them to see it as relevant. OMG, there's so much stuff here, where do I start!? is something I've heard a lot. So I'd love to learn how recommendations and What Matters will work for newbies, whether it will be profile driven for example? One thought I'd had was a kind of wizard, taking new users through a series of questions, perhaps auto-completing their profile from some of the answers, but suggesting groups for them to join, people to follow etc, Oh, and leading them to their "Your View" of course!

Tracy Maurer

I'm not sure that all established power users will want to customize their Your View. Or maybe not have it as their default homepage. I think there are plenty of people who are content to just let the system do its thing and tell them what might be of interest to them (or not). Like they "know" what they want to use the system for, and don't need to discover.

What I really think the What Matters page is going to help with, though, is engagement. Assuming it is done right, it will help suck people deeper into usage. Pointing out discussions where they might have a strong enough opinion to make a comment. Showing them blog posts that help them learn about something important to their job. Connecting them with people doing similar job functions or usage patterns. Those are the places I can see power in this, and a power I'm hoping will help make all of our jobs easier. Or at least more fun and interesting. I'd much rather work with people who are already engaged, than to try and convince unwilling people why they should engage.

Olivia Teich

This is very helpful. Thanks!

But "Your Connections" is EVERYTHING to the way I consume and participate on our Jive platform.

This is absolutely core in What Matters.

1. Your connections
                                                              2. Status updates
                                                              3. Bookmarks (set to watch a specific tag)

These are all key parts of What Matters as well. Instead of separate widgets, you'll have much richer interaction options around them right in your stream (inline commenting, hiding things you no longer want to see, grouping and roll-ups of updates, etc.)

We are currently planning to add a new top-level page to the navigation in 5.0 for your Places, which will show you all your places and help you find and discover others.

We're stil working through the specifics around the new user experience when entering an established community. Absolutely looking at ways to better guide new members into seeing quick value in the community. More later on that.

Wolfgang Jastrowski

With the introduction of Jive5 we will "loose" the Your View tab, therefore I checked how many of our users used it to get an understanding on the change management needs. In total we have ca. 12'000 users who have access, of which 85% use it:

SELECT COUNT (*)
                                                              FROM jiveUserProp jp, jiveuser ju
                                                             WHERE     propValue = 'personalized'
                                                                   AND jp.userid = ju.userid
                                                                   AND ju.userenabled = 1;

results in 965 users.

SELECT count(*)
                                                              FROM jivewlayoutframe jf, jiveuser ju
                                                             WHERE     parentObjectType = 3
                                                                  AND published = 1
                                                                  AND JF.PARENTOBJECTID = ju.userid
                                                                  AND JU.USERENABLED = 1;

results in 1071 users.

Does anybody already started to think about this aspect of change management for introducing Jive5 with 10% of the community using the Your View?

sjenkins

I will be out of the office from June 27th until July 11th, 2011.  For assistance please contact Nathan Miner or Andrew White.

>>> Wolfgang Jastrowski <communities-no-reply@jivesoftware.com> 06/28/11 02:45 >>>

Wolfgang Jastrowski Wolfgang Jastrowski created the discussion

"Re: Determining how many are using Your View"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jivesoftware.com/message/719632#719632

Amanda Shenon

Hi Wolfgang –

I am still concerned about this given our community’s use of Your View.  I would have loved to have seen the Community Activity widget evolve into the new What Matters stream and still had the other Your View customization capabilities.

It’s my job to advocate for what our users want so I’ve given feedback on this change since February.  I have seen a lot of concerns expressed by others as well about the loss of Your View but I don’t see any change in direction coming around that from Jive.  So, at this point I was going to “wait and see” what happens when others upgrade.  I have users who use the Your View to watch specific tags, watch blog posts only, watch new users joining the system, create their own set of links to specific content and views of content (via permalinks to filtered views), quickly jump to their recent content (Your Content widget) etc. Our users who don’t use Your View navigate immediately to the main team area which is most relevant to them.

Another community member has suggested that we could tell people to create their own Secret group as a substitute for Your View.  I think that could be a possible bridge for anyone who is very bothered by the loss of this feature.  It could help them move from 4.5 to 5.x and then, over time, determine whether they really need that group any longer.  It’s something to consider but it would cause some cleanup for you whenever one of those users leaves your company/community.

-          Amanda

April Jacobs

I'm unable to run this type of report for my community (maybe support can help?). But I too am concerned about losing the Your View tab as this is where I and all my moderators live on the platform. I don't feel there is a suitable OOB replacement and don't want to see all activity smooshed together in an aggregated format. I've been told that we may be able to leverage apps, but those aren't live yet, so I am also in Wait and See mode.

It's troublesome that the Your View tab has been so heavily messaged in every version. Heck, in 4.5 new users automatically land there with big blue boxes telling them how to utilize it. Why take away such a powerful feature, especially when it's SO in your face in 4.x?

Tracy Maurer

The part that I am most frustrated with on this count is that one of the things I had been teaching people was to use a Formatted Text widget to put in things you'd normally use a sticky note on your desk for - the number for your husband/wife, a school contact number, a specific external link that you reference frequently. There is no good place to do this in 5.0, unless you just create a Personal Document with that info, and that isn't as prominently placed.

And I really like being able to toggle my current view from Connections to Colleagues to Everyone in the Community Activity widget. It is really going to be a big switch.

Claire Flanagan

I, too, share everyone's concerns. I was told by Jive's Patrick Lin that they expect the "App Marketplace" will provide similar ability to the "Your View" and that they would provide Jive default "apps" (that would be core "widgets") for the app marketplace.

I have been traveling too much in the last 4 weeks to follow up with him since Jive 5 Beta got updated for the champions/beta customers. It might be time to get an official statemet from Jive to update us on this.

Specific questions I have:

1. What widgets will be available as default Jive apps? (Can we have a mapping provided?) I know I had provided Jive with our desired list.

2. Will they support what I think I heard - the ability for a user to use the "App Marketplace" to replicate a "Your View" experience? (I think the answer is yes.)

3. And finally if #2 is true, then when will it be available in the product? (I think I heard from Patrick that this function might not make it for 5.0.1 release, but it might be a future, early point release. I'm ok if it's not 5.0.1 - but it can't be 5.5 for instance, so an idea of timing would impact when CSC moves.)

On a side note -  -  Today I just had to deliver a presentation to APQC on CSC's KM program - and this very topic came up - how do we provide the ability for employees to personalize their filters and controls? This is a big deal. We see - others do as well.

Amanda Shenon

I think it’s interesting how this thread has evolved over the past ~year since it started.  A year ago we were not yet on Jive 4.5 – that made a big difference for us.  The combination of the 4.5 upgrade and pointing out Your View during new user sessions (not everyone attends a new user session) really jumped up our usage and especially value for the power users.  In starting to look at Jive5 at the start of this year I was really concerned that this feature we’d just gotten traction on, and now have people reliant upon, was being taken away.  I’ve expressed a lot of that in another community.

Like Claire, I’ve also heard that the apps view will act as a replacement for Your View as Jive only wanted one customizable area and not two.  So far in looking at the Beta I don’t see how that’s going to happen but I’m hopeful it will become much more clear.  We need to keep our users productive moving forward and not lose momentum on the adoption and usage of the system for getting work done (e.g. we don’t want to take away the tools that have made people more productive and able to manage their work).

Amanda Shenon

I had a user support incident come up today which sparked a lot of conversation and I wanted to post the gist of it here since the "solution" for the end user involved Your View.

A user in our Global Support organization (which is a very active user group for us) wanted a way to track content that she has commented on.  Your comments are not tracked under Your Stuff or in your profile.  They aren't really treated like content by the system although users think of them as content.  One suggestion was for her to manually bookmark everything that she comments on.  She really didn't like that idea as she users bookmarks in a different way.  What she came up with herself was to use the "Watch a User" widget and set herself as the user.  It's interesting that Watch a User shows comments but the Your Content widget does not.  Anyway, I just wanted to show another example of how the Your View helped a user to solve their own problem and be more productive in a way that works for them.

jasonrood80

Really helpful discussion!    Thanks Brice Jewell and Nils Bolsen.