9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 30, 2012 3:35 AM by Joseph D'Armi RSS

What methods have worked to help promote awareness and adoption?

mdcrocker

Hi,

We are looking at methods that we can use to increase awareness and adoption.  What has worked for you?

Thanks

Mike

• Re: What methods have worked to help promote awareness and adoption?
          Tracy Maurer

If you have a geographically diverse workforce, local community managers. And I'd have to say the most important element is to get it populated with content that people need, and that they are driven to use in only that location. For example:

• Benefits documentation - links to tools used for expense reports, time/vacation tracking, healthcare websites and forms. etc. All of this kind of stuff should be loaded in Jive, and your HR staff shouldn't spoon feed people. Have them send links to where the documents are located.
          • Product documentation - if you sell products or services, have sales, training and support information regarding those services loaded. Again, have the product managers send links and review the documentation as it exists on the site. Don't recreate the wheel in every email or phone conversation.
          • Use the Org Chart functionality, and enforce managers setting their direct reports. If you have a separate org chart, get rid of it in favor of your Jive instance.

If you can offer a "photo booth" similar to what Jive did at JiveWorld, where people can get more professional and/or fun photos taken to be used as their platform image and/or avatar, this makes it more fun and gets people excited about interacting. They often don't want to have a photo cause they don't like ones they have or they have to find it, or it was a standard corporate mug shot. Make it interesting, where they might even get compliments on how good it looks, and they are more likely to bite.

If you have people who use it as part of their daily workflow, have them explain why in a Jive document. Spotlight examples on your main page for people to see, so they get the "why" of using it; that it doesn't have to be a job "extra", but can be a work saver.

Michelle Lavoie

Hello all, I've found it very helpful to reach out to different organizations to align the work they are doing with the content available on an internal community.  For instance, I do a weekly 'widget promotion' of whatever is going on in the world.  Last week it was Human Rights Day, this week is Winter Solstice.

But there was a Great Smoke Out week.  I created a widget and a corresponding document, but I also engaged our Human Resources team to determine if they were offering any smoking cessation programs or other types of support.  I think the key is aligning to other parts of the company, and also ensuring that you represent events internationally (ie. I didn't title anything "The Great American Smokeout"  just the "Great Smokout."

I reply to every email message I receive announcing an event and suggest that our internal community might be a better option than a blanket email message.  I have numerous conversations scheduled to begin the process of alignment.

Hope that helps!

mdcrocker

Thanks.  How successful have you been at getting folks to move from email to a community?  Since the email folks want to push things in front of people, do you still end up with an email telling them to visit the community or just rely on people having notification?

Mike

Michelle Lavoie

I'm just in the beginning phases of this alignment process.  I can tell you though, without any doubt, that mass emails (particularly from corporate) are discarded as quickly as they arrive.  Offering an alternative way to communicate with targeted audiences is being well received; we'll have to wait to see if the results have an impact on the number of email messages.

Another example, our corporate education group sends out a large monthly newsletter with all of their class offerings.  Most folks simply delete.  I contacted them and suggested that they try to place their course announcements in appropriate communities (ie. a Project Management certification course announcement posted in a Project Management space).  They had never thought of that and are now trying it.

Time will tell, I'll keep you posted!

mdcrocker

I will pass that tip along to the education folks.  I have gotten a number of newsletters to move to communities.  One answer does not fit all.  We have some that post all the items in the community and only send a reminder to go look.  This changes it into a newsfeed since they can publish items when they get them and not need to wait until the end of the month.  Works out great for local news like a road closer or building shut downs.  Some use it as a way to collect the articles and create the full, graphic emails with the summaries of the articles that link back.

Mike

Rachel Happe

There are a couple things that I would recommend:

• Think about time bound programming from within the tool (i.e. chat with an executive, market analyst, etc) - if you do that on a consistent, regular basis you will start to set expectations about when there will be people online and in the tool.  Programming/content cadence sets the expectation of how often people will think about visiting. Similarly but on a more casual level, you could do virtual Friday afternoon happy hour/networking hour.
                    • Identify projects and/or tasks that are done exclusively in the community (obviously you need to identify some managers/biz owners who are willing to have this done) - if core business is too sensative to inititially approach this way you can do things like do holiday party planning exclusiving in the community or something like that
                      Tracy Maurer

Along the lines of what Corey suggested, we had an office manager put up a document for people to post to about problems with office equipment. She included a table with columns for the information she would need, along with a current example.

And the location of this document is key - it is in a group that is all about that office. The group provides a location for the locals to talk about their favorite restaurants, post pics from the recent office pancake breakfast, etc. But it doubles as a place for other employees traveling to the office to find out the preferred hotels to stay at, any details on local transportation, weather.

Many social applications tend to replace email broadcast with in-context publishing. This is a vast improvement, but the real power of social is to crowd source solutions to business issues. I think many companies and practitioners lack either the imagination or techniques to make this leap of faith. I've had some success getting management buy-in, then allow users to redefine the problem from their perspective to explore where participation would give them personal benefit.