19 Replies Latest reply: Apr 8, 2014 7:33 AM by markgibson RSS

How are you marketing your community?

daniel.marotta

Where and how are you marketing your community?

Here are a few things we've tried:

• web banners on our corporate site
      • within our corporate newsletter
      • web banners on 3rd party sites
      • 3rd party newsletters
      • rely on organic search engine traffic
      • twitter

What successful marketing campaigns have you run to promote awareness?

• Re: How are you marketing your community?
          John Summers

that sounds about right. We are doing all of that today.

daniel.marotta

John (and others), do you run email campaigns to your customers to create awareness? To drive registration or specific actions on community? Direct them to a specific post or series of content?

I try to avoid email myself and only piggy-back on my fellow marketers' campaigns to minimize the amount of times we message our customers.

cmcguinness

We asked Jive to customize an area in the top of the community email digest so that we could put marketing messages there. That way, members get an upt-to-date note from us whenever they get the digest, but they have full control over the digest frequency.

This is a feature I'd like to see integrated into Jive, complete with a begin/end date for the message!

daniel.marotta

I very much like the idea of being able to create messaging on the fly like that. One drawback, the recipient would need to be a member of the community already.

How do you reach prospective members?

Emilie Kopp

Hi Dan - I found this thread thanks to your recent response to my question. What is your relationship with Database Marketing?

So - if we're talking about increasing awareness of the community and we're considering email - I'd suggest you work with your database marketing team.

We sometimes work together to promote specific community groups based on the customer profiles they are contacting. Granted, the email is not exclusively marketing the community - rather it's marketing a specific vertical or campaign - so I have to convince them to squeeze in a call-out to a specific community group that fits the context of the message. But in the end, it's a win-win for both business units. They can promote more specific, relevant discussions and content, and I get a bit more traffic driven to the community.

It's just another tactic we have on our list.

David Long

I'm a Department of Defense Program manager, we're trying to drive DoD Scientists, Engineers and warfighters to use our version of Jive. To date we are running 5.0.1 on the secret net, with as many bells and whistles as allowed by our security. However, usage is dismal at best. We've not done a good job marketing, The digest idea intrigues us. Is it a rolling marquee? How is the information provided? Did Jive give you any feedback pertaining to actually deploying the tool/feature for the rest of us?

Brice Jewell

Dan, are prospective members the largest portion of your target audience for your external community?

daniel.marotta

Brice,

I'm not sure I fully understand the question. Do you mean prospective customers?

In general, anyone that is in our industry that is not yet a member of our community, is how I'm defining a prospective member.

-Dan

Brice Jewell

My mistake, yes, I meant prospective customers. I asked before I responded because our target audience is current clients. All of our methods are tied to existing processes and publications that our clients use:

• links from the corporate web site and online store
                              • references in presentations to specific communities
                              • references in email templates (emails sent from our help desk application or from the support team, client newsletters, etc.)
                              • elevator and table signs in our buildings that clients visit
                              • our training materials and software documentation live in or are tangential to our community so users have to visit it to get those resources
                              • messages that play during hold music
                            Laura Kelso

Dan, we're a fledgling community, preparing for a hard (broad) launch in February, but here are a few of the marketing ideas we plan to execute on:

• email to our current customer base of vacation home owners
                            • community ads on our websites
                            • community messaging in our purchase confirmation emails
                            • community messaging in our inquiry emails (emails sent to vacation home owners from travelers interested in renting)
                            • dashboard interstitials (pop ads that direct prospective customers to community to help them get "real answers to real questions")
                            • showcasing community at live owner seminars and our company's Annual Summit
                            • mentioning our new community on similar sites such as the Yahoo boards and LayMyHat.com

I hope this helps...

Kris Pratico

Our community is focused on existing clients.  We of the most recent marketing initiatives we implemented is  replacing our monthly newsletter with a monthly community update.  It's literally an email with links to some of the hot topics, blogs, announcements, and events in the community.  The benefit is that we're driving clients directly to the community, rather than sending an email newsletter that they may or may not read.  Also, it has really helped increase our monthly new user registrations.

Kate_Mahoney

Have you tried joining other Communities or LinkedIn groups and adding to their discussions?

Ryan Kingsland

I've been talking to product marketing and trying to work with them to get some word out. other than that it has been pretty organic and by talking about it at our events.

markgibson

Where and how are you marketing your community?

Here are a few things we've tried:

• web banners on our corporate site
                                    • within our corporate newsletter
                                    • web banners on 3rd party sites
                                    • 3rd party newsletters
                                    • rely on organic search engine traffic
                                    • twitter

What successful marketing campaigns have you run to promote awareness?

----

What were the more successful tries?

We've used in varying degrees of success:

Communications on intranet main page (a what's new/ the latest), slow build up, then ramp up near the time of deployment

Street Events

Banners

How to snippets

What's new, what you can do with x and y.

Currently around 70% take up by users.