67 Replies Latest reply: Jun 4, 2013 11:56 AM by boadeveloper RSS
      • Re: QuickTemplate Feature Discussions
        corey.richey

Here is a screenshot of the template document

t.png

See how it has Category Profile.

When i click Document --> New that launches a template with the Category named Profile and it looks great!

Then i just click create a document in the actions box

new-doc.png

and the the Category is set to Profile.

So the Category Profile comes through on every document not just the template document like it should.

Here are the settings on my template plugin. By the way i am in 4.0

settings.png

corey.richey

thanks for taking a look at this Ryan much appreciated. Without your plugin i don't know where i would be seriously. your Awesome!!!

Ryan Rutan

I'm wondering if this is something to do with a DRAFT that is in that container that is being re-used perhaps.  If it is a Draft issue, this would be constrainted to a Container/User overlap.

Can you paste in the URL from the "Create a Document" link...to make sure that it doesn't have a parameter in it for the "Profile" category.    I've tested the below steps on 4.5.x and I see the expected behavior.

Also, since I do not have a 4.0 instance available, can you try these steps on another container (preferably a new one with no content in it.)

• In a new container (that has never had the Quick Templates plugin used)
                  • Create 2 Fake Categories (ABC, DEF)
                  • Create a New Document - (Actions Menu link)
                    • Title = "TEST1"
                    • Observe are any categories pre-selected?
                    • Select one of the categories  (ABC)
                    • Add Tag "template" and "test"
                    • Save Document
                  • Create another New Document (Actions Menu link)
                    • Title = "TEST2"
                    • Observe are any categories pre-selected?  If so, was it ABC?
                      • If no categories are selected, select the DEF category
                    • Save Document
                  • If the issue didn't surface here, try the above steps again as a different user to make sure that you see the same behavior as a different user
                  • If the above tests all come back good, then go ahead and install the QuickTemplates plugin Widget to the Dashboard
                    • Configure it to Copy Tags + Copy Categories
                    • Set the Tag to "template"
                  • Use the Widget to create a new Instance from the "TEST1" you setup.
                    • Observe the tags/categories are appropriately copied, ABC + "test" tag
                    • Save
                  • Create another Document (Actions Menu link)
                    • Observe are any categories pre-selected?  if so, is it ABC or DEF?
                    • Save
                  • Repeat the last 2 document creations as a separate user, and see if you see the same behavior.
                    corey.richey

<ul class="quicktemplates-template-list">
                                        <li>

<p class="template-title">
                                                Profile: (ADD PROFILE HERE)
                                            </p>
                                            <div class="template-item">
                                            <a id="DOC-5209" class="create-btn" href="#">
                                                <span class="jive-icon-med jive-icon-userbar-new"></span>New
                                            </a>

<ul id="quicktemplates-template-createfrom-DOC-5209" class="quicktemplates-template-createfrom" style="display: none;">
                                                <li>
                                                <a onclick="javascript:submitForm('102','DOC-5209','profile_template');" href="#" title="Create new Document from this Template"><span class="jive-icon-med jive-icon-document"></span>Document</a>
                                                </li>
                                            </ul>
                                            </div>
                                        </li>
                                    </ul>

I used firebug to get the html for the entire Template widget that is causing the problem.

I am going through your test steps right now.

corey.richey

Ryan Rutan wrote:

I'm wondering if this is something to do with a DRAFT that is in that container that is being re-used perhaps.  If it is a Draft issue, this would be constrainted to a Container/User overlap.

Can you paste in the URL from the "Create a Document" link...to make sure that it doesn't have a parameter in it for the "Profile" category.    I've tested the below steps on 4.5.x and I see the expected behavior.

Also, since I do not have a 4.0 instance available, can you try these steps on another container (preferably a new one with no content in it.)

• In a new container (that has never had the Quick Templates plugin used)
                        • Create 2 Fake Categories (ABC, DEF)
                        • Create a New Document - (Actions Menu link)
                          • Title = "TEST1"
                          • Observe are any categories pre-selected? NO PRE-SELECTED CATEGORIES
                          • Select one of the categories  (ABC)
                          • Add Tag "template" and "test"
                          • Save Document
                        • Create another New Document (Actions Menu link)
                          • Title = "TEST2"
                          • Observe are any categories pre-selected?  If so, was it ABC? 
                        • NO PRE-SELECTED CATEGORIES 
                            • If no categories are selected, select the DEF category
                          • Save Document
                        • If the issue didn't surface here, try the above steps again as a different user to make sure that you see the same behavior as a different user. SAME RESULTS
                        • If the above tests all come back good, then go ahead and install the QuickTemplates plugin Widget to the Dashboard
                          • Configure it to Copy Tags + Copy Categories
                          • Set the Tag to "template"
                        • Use the Widget to create a new Instance from the "TEST1" you setup.
                          • Observe the tags/categories are appropriately copied, ABC + "test" tag Woked GREAT
                          • Save
                        • Create another Document (Actions Menu link)
                          • Observe are any categories pre-selected?  if so, is it ABC or DEF? ABC was pre-selected. this is the bug
                          • Save
                        • Repeat the last 2 document creations as a separate user, and see if you see the same behavior.SAME RESULTS
                          Ryan Rutan

Thanks for performing the steps...I think I am able to replicate a portion of this "bug" in 4.5.  Need to look into it a bit more, but I think this might be a Cache issue with Jive.  My guess is that when I call the updateTagSets(document,tagSets)...that the tagSets are persisting somewhere that it shouldn't.  The code in the QuickTemplates service is very high-level...but hopefully the solution will be easy enough.  Will try to look at it this week.  ping me if it goes a while...just in case I lose track.  Thanks again for sharing the feedback.

corey.richey

yeah it only starts pre-selecting if someone hits the new-->document template widget. If you go a few days without hitting the new-->document widget then it won't pre-select categories. Sounds like a cache issue.

corey.richey

The weirdest part of this bug is that.

If you create a new document in a space that has no categories set up.

profile-1.png

See no category set up but when you publish the document.

profile2.png

There is the Category named Profile.

I am not in a sub space of the community with the template widget set up or anything. This bug is all over the instance. I don't think i will use the copy category's tag radio button in the quick template until this is figured out.

hmmm.... Thanks for looking into this. I just used the template widget for a different communtity space yesterday it is amazingly useful. Alot of communtiy owners want to have profiles of the users in there community and the template widget is the best way to do it.

Thanks,

Corey

Ryan Rutan

Corey,  in doing some debugging...I think I might see the problem, going to do some digging...may be able to fix it on my end.  basically, a generic Document Type (102) with no Document ID (-1) is being saved into the Tag Set List Cache.  -1 is probably the intermediate Draft for the document. Will see if I can get around this and/or find a way to remove this after-the-fact with a Listener temporarily.  Thanks for pointing this out...hopefully will have an answer shortly.

Ryan Rutan

Corey, I've filed a feature request to better solve the issue long term.

Add support for Category seeding in getCreateNewFormRelativeURL for ContentObjectTypeInfoProvider Interface

I've got a couple of ways at my disposal that should fix this issue.  The biggest "feature" that may be on the chopping block (and really not all that much) is the fluidity of the Document creation process.  For example, when I create the templated discussions/blogs...I actually create the object first....then redirect the user to the Edit screen.  This is fine for non-versioned content-types; however, for Documents this is not ideal...because version 1 will always be the templated content.  While it will be easy for me to implement the Documents in this same light, it's not ideal in my opinion.

Going to ponder the different ways I can clean-up this issue without a Jive fix and see if I can keep the solutions as close to what it is today...will let you know soon.

corey.richey

Yeah it's just that pesky copy category radio button that messes everything up. I just don't use that radio button in the template settings. I hope you get this worked out. I just voted on your feature request.

Thanks Again a million times over Ryan i used your template again last week.

Frank Gebhardt

Bug report for 1.0.2 on 4.5.5 when creating a new discussion from a template

1. the tags are not being copied across
                              2. the ability to select if the discussion is a question or not isn't there. You still can change this after you published the thread. A new discussion thread created from a template automatically creates the thread and engages the "edit discussion" action. This has 2 effects
                                1. the missing ability to select question or not and
                                2. the thread is already created even if you select "cancel".
                              3. One has to be administrator of the destination container (even if it is an open group) to create a new discussion thread. Works fine for blogs and documents

The command I'm using is http://our.jive.base.url/quicktemplates/create-from-doc.jspa?templateID=DOC-14891&containerID=1055&containerType=700&objectType=1&copyCategories=false&copyTags=true&templateTag=feedback-template

The container is an open Social Group.

cheers

Frank

Ryan Rutan

Frank, saw your feedback the other day but got pulled away from responding...apologies.

1.)  I have not seen this behavior.  Assuming the link you provided is the action in question?  All tags on the source document except "feedback-template" should be copied.  If this is not the behavior you are seeing...please let me know the exact tags you are using.  Perhaps its a data issue.  I have been able to replicate this on my environments just fine with all 3 content-types.

2.)  Yes...this was one of the reasons why I initially was reluctant to create the discussion content-type.  I'm optimistic that the above idea feature-request will enable me to be much more dynamic with the creation of discussions.  Documents have a nice flow for Drafts and content-creation.  I'll look into resolving this with the release of 5.0 (where I hope my idea will enable me to have "drafting" for all content-types).

3.)  May be related to #1.  Since I'm a system admin of my instance...I probably dont notice this as much...I tend to have a test-user that is non-admin...but since I put Discussions together pretty quick....I'm not 100% I confirmed these use-cases.  I usually delegate to the PermUtil classes in Jive to determine "authority".  So this may be a bug in their code, but I'll validate and loop back with you sometime this week.

Appreciate the feedback.  Will let you know what I find.

Frank Gebhardt

Thanks for the reply Ryan

1. don't think it is a data issue, I tried different tags. The latest set is (structure content feedback performance problem functionality request feedback-template). here is a screen shot of the template document
                                      2. quick_template.png
                                      3. If I change the URL to contentTypes 38 or 102 it works nicely.

I really like the concept and my intention is to provide a link in the footer for all to provide easy feedback from where they are.

cheers

Frank

Ryan Rutan

I still haven't been able to reproduce this tag issue.  I am running 4.5.5.0 on my development/test environments.  I used your same data (thinking it may have been list size related or something along those lines)...but to no avail...I am unable to reproduce this issue.  Can you share your steps perhaps...maybe I'm making an assumption on how you are calling the service?

As for the latter feedback, I found the problem.  It basically was legacy code that I had written back in 2.5 (when I made a similar plugin for discussion creation)...that was no longer needed...and it was causing the error.  I've corrected and created a new build...should be available in the next 15 minutes on the Jive Community.

Appreciate the feedback and support.  I notice you've got the Document Lock Plugin installed as well.  =)

Note:  Forgot to mention..if we can get this Tag issue figured out...you can use the AutoQuestionListener feature in the Admin Essentials Plugin to auto-mark discussions as Questions based on a tag-match.

Update:  Check out the documentation for the Service URL signature...specifically around the objectType parameter.  =)

Ryan Rutan

Hi Ryan, We've got the same bug (tags are not copied) when we  upgraded to version 4.5.5 and 1.0.2 for the plug-in. Everything, worked  fine before (4.5.3 and 1.0.0). Do you have an idea how could we resolve  this issue ?

Thanks

kkendjouh

I've never seen this first-hand, but it looks like Frank's issue was resolved by picking up the latest build.  I posted it around 01/27.  Let me know if you still have the issue.  I'm working on changing my build scripts to have subversions...such that there aren't multiple copies of 1.0.2 floating around.  This was a bad choice on my part when I first got started. =\  Let me know if the latest plugin version doesn't solve your issue.

Albert della Gatta

Hi Ryan,
                                        This plugin is great for our purposes, but I am too having the "saved discussion on cancel" issue. We're running 4.5.4 and version 1.0.2 of the plugin downloaded on 1/28 @ 14:53 PST. I compared its size to the same plugin just downloaded now and they're the same.
                                        We're kicking off the process with: http://gport.gene.com/quicktemplates/create-from-doc.jspa?templateID=DOC-1141&containerID=2019&containerType=14&objectType=1&copyCategories=false&copyTags=true&templateTag=submission. I noticed that when we use the QuickTemplates plugin, the discussion actions are Update and Cancel instead of Post Message and Cancel like they would be if starting a new discussion by default. Does that provide a clue?

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for the plugin! It is great for our purposes.

I thought someone else was having this issue too, but now I can't find it in the thread.

When the discussion is started via the plugin, the cancel action saves the post, even if the title of the discussion already exists in the space.

We're running 4.5.4 and version 1.0.2 of the plugin downloaded on 1/28 @ 14:53 PST. I compared its size to the same plugin just downloaded now and they're the same.

We're kicking off the process with: http://myjive.company.com/quicktemplates/create-from-doc.jspa?templateID=DOC-1141&containerID=2019&containerType=14&objectType=1&copyCategories=false&copyTags=true&templateTag=submission. I noticed that when we use the QuickTemplates plugin, the discussion actions are Update and Cancel instead of Post Message and Cancel like they would be if starting a new discussion by default. Does that provide a clue?

The tags are copying over correctly. Please let me know if you need more information about this issue or if it is a known bug.

Thanks again for your fine work.

kmorgan

Problem with Templates in Personal Spaces When Used for a Blog

We've downloaded your QuickTemplates plugin and are setting it up so     that our users can create a template for status reports that go into     their own blog space. We found that when we try this, the editor     doesn't open up when we click on the template for blogs in the     Content Templates widget. The editor does open for Documents and     Discussions; just not for Blogs.

Here is how we set this up (we are on SBS 4.5.5.1):

Add the Content Template Widget to Your Dashboard
                                          1. Go to Your View tab
                                          2. Click on 'customize' to add the widget
                                          3. In the Techweb tab, click on Other and then click and drag           the Content Templates to your layout
                                            • Recommend putting this into a narrow column in the layout
                                          4. Edit the new widget
                                            • In the Tag Filter field, add the word 'template'
                                            • Check Yes, Yes, No, No, and No
                                            • Click Save Properties
                                          5. Publish the layout
                                          6. Clicking on the Tags: template link in the Content Templates           widget should show now template files
                                          Create the Template Document
                                          1. Click on the Your Stuff menu and select Documents
                                          2. Click on the Create a document in the Actions pane
                                          3. Click on Your Documents so that the document becomes a           personal document
                                          4. Edit the template document
                                            • Create a document title that is easy to edit each week
                                          5. In Tags, add 'template' and 'weekly_status'
                                          6. Publish the document
                                          Test
                                          1. Go back to Your View tab
                                          2. Click on the Content Templates and select Blog
                                          3. A new page is loaded, but the editor does not show up

Also, if we do the same steps as above, but for a space, the blog     editor does open up. So, this seems to be tied to personal blog     spaces.

Mel Wong

Hi Ryan,

We thought our categories extensions were problematic at first but seems that categories are not being copied/inherited from the template. Perhaps an issue with SBS 4.5.5?  We confirmed this problem in both a clean and customized 4.5.5.

Thanks,

Mel

jmaaks

How do we make the Create Like action display as Copy Document in QuickTemplates 1.03 for Jive 4.5 -- is this possible?

Ryan Rutan

I'll need to check which version that feature was introduced in, it's been a while.  Should be listed in the main document which version it was added in though.  I'm fairy confident that this feature existed for 4.5 but might not be that subversion.

RR

jmaaks

In the Configurations section of QuickTemplates - Plugin I found a reference in the table:  "quicktemplates.createCopy.enabled (1.2.0+)"

And from the changelog, it looks like 1.2.0+ is only available for Jive 5.x?

Ryan Rutan

I just confirmed, that the Create Like feature was added in 1.0.1.  It later was renamed to Create Copy, since I developed the feature originally for 4.0 (before there was a Like system in the product).

So to answer your question, yes it should be available on 4.5

jmaaks

Ok, so then to be clear, we already have QuickTemplates installed on our 4.5 instance, but the action is displayed as "Create Like".  In order for this to show up instead as "Copy Document", how do we do this?  Is it simply a matter of setting quicktemplates.createCopy.enabled to true and quicktemplates.createLike.enabled to false?

Ryan Rutan

Copy Document and Create Like are the same feature just rebranded.  In the version of the plugin that will run on your instance, quicktemplates.createLike.enabled=true should do the trick.

If you want to change the label of the action, you can do so by using Phrase Substitution in the Theme Edit, for the Token:  quicktemplates.template.createLike.action.lbl

Hope that helps clarify. =)

karenp

Hi Ryan

We really like the quicktemplates plugin which we've got in test at the moment.  However we have one problem that I am not sure we can address.  We need the widget to show to a group of people who are not admins but we don't want the widget to display to everyone. 

It's important that the widget displays in the right area for the document to be created as we don't want people to use the template and then have to ask people to remember to move the document.  However this area has other users accessing it who do not have the ability to create documents.  They see the widget but it is useless to them.

Is there anything I'm missing which would help with this please?

Thanks

Karen

hatassi

Hey Ryan,

I just wanted to confirm that the "Create Like" on a document feature is part of this plugin (and not out of the box jive) and that it is also has the same issue as the template widget where categories are not maintained. Is that the case? Also, has this issue been fixed in later versions of the plugin/JIVE?

Thanks,

Hassan Atassi

boadeveloper

Hi Ryan,

I am using the Quick Templates v2 in our Jive 6.0 site.  Is there anyway I can pass the Jive Global Variables into the Subject and or body of the new discussion,document?

Thanks,

Patty

boadeveloper

Hi Ryan,

I have had great success in using your quick templates plugin.  We use Jive to allow our users enter support issues.  The HTML widget I created in essence is a form for the user to fill out.  Once they select the "Create" button, a discussion comes up with their Subject they entered and the rest of the  information they entered in the body of the discussion.

Thanks so much.

I thought that I had seen this mentioned before but I can't seem to find the answer anywhere.  Is there away to pass an attachment to the new discussion that is being created?

Thanks,

Patty

Ryan Rutan

Thanks for sharing the story, that is exactly how I use the plugin 80% of the time.  Unfortunately attachment support is not there =\

Just to be sure you've seen the latest version of the plugin on Jive 6 - QuickTemplates v2 - Plugin ... swings the doors even more off the hinges. =)

boadeveloper

Hi Ryan,

I am having an issue that I wanted to just run by you and see if you had any thoughts.  We are on Jive 6.0.1.

After I do the POST for the create.jspa, if the user chooses the CANCEL button once they get into the Create Discussion instead of the POST button, the user is returned to their profile page. Doing a show source on the Create DIscussion page,  the cancelURL:"/people/pcamp"

In my widget where I do the POST, I do a get using the REST API, /api/core/v3/people/{userid} to retrieve their profile information.  I wasn't sure if this was why the cancelURL was going to the profile page.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Patty

Ryan Rutan

The default container is probably set to be the person's private container.  If you seed the call with a containerType/containerID that should influence the cancel behavior to return to the desired container.  Hope that helps. =\

boadeveloper

Hi Ryan,

I do have the containerid and type.  It's interesting though, when I copy the URL which is created from our ASK widget (JIVE root/discussion/create.jspa?containerType=14&question=true&containerID=2015&subject=asdfsadf) and run it on its own and cancel out of the discussion, I get returned to my profile.   If I cancel when I used the ASK widget, I come back to the Space that I am expecting.  This is in our production site where we do not have your plugin installed so I do not think it has anything to do with the plugin.

I have searched the Jive Developer site without any luck. Any way, thought I would just update this discussion.

Thanks,

Patty

Ryan Rutan

The steps you are providing sound like you are interfering with the Referer being set.  If you copy the URL and just paste in the link to a page...the referer is not set.  If you click on the link in the browser, then the refer is set automatically by the browser, and that allows the system to redirect you back to the main page where the widget is displayed.  If no referer is set, the system sends you to your own profile as its been programmed to do that when lacking more specific details.  Hope that helps. =)

boadeveloper

Thanks, Ryan, for your explanation.  Web development is my 2nd career, my first career was VB programmer...

Anyhow, that of course explains the return to the profile page for the random pasting of links but when the Create.jspa is called from my widget, it still goes back to the users profile if the user hits cancel instead of post, even with the conatinertype and containerid.  Hopefully, that won't be seen as a big deal.

Thanks again for all of your help.

boadeveloper

Hi Ryan,

While debugging my widget in Chrome, I view the referer and it is set to the create.jspa command which I call from my widget which explains why if you cancel it takes you back to the user profile.  Any ideas at all?  Have you ever seen this before?

Thanks,

Patty

Ryan Rutan

I'm sorry.  I think I am misunderstanding the ask, could you clarify your question?

boadeveloper

Sorry, Ryan, helps if I give you the entire scenario.  I have created an HTML widget that allows the user to enter data into the widget and when they press the Submit button the URL is created to create a discussion passing the information that they entered as the subject and body of the discussion is created and the action of the form is set to this URL.  The new discussion is created successfully with all of the information that was passed.

The issue comes up that if the user presses the CANCEL button, they are returned to their profile page.  In an earlier reply, you said :

If you seed the call with a containerType/containerID that should influence the cancel behavior to return to the desired container.

My URL has the containertype and the containerid in it.  When I debug in Chrome and view the Network call of the create.jspa, both the referrer and request are the create.jspa URL.  After selecting the CANCEL button on the create discussion page, the following error appears in the Console:

Application Error: There was a problem getting data for the application you requested. The application may not be valid, or there may be a temporary glitch. Please try again later

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Patty