29 Replies Latest reply: Jan 24, 2012 11:39 AM by LG . RSS

Search engine optimization tips & tricks

ccbozar

Hello gang,

We're about to launch an externally facing community who's business case is driven largely by the long-tail-search traffic we're expecting to attract. I'm no SEO expert, but I have (un-founded) concerns with how Jive's chosen to code their site. Specifically

• URLs are poorly constructed for an externally facing site.
        • Other than the primary category page, they don't contain any key words. They use category and message IDs rather than relevant text that a search engine can recognize
          • For example: www.fakewebsite.com/community/building_widgets is the directory structure for the home page of Building Widget.
          • Upon clicking a discussion within the Building Widgets category, the URL transitions to www.fakewebsite.com/message/1759#1759 where the ‘1759’ is the discussion number.
          • How are we expected to build link equity with a URL of /messages/1759 ?
      • Also this directory structure/approach leads to having duplicate URLs for the same page. Google will see this and split the link equity between the two. The more replies on a page…the more URLs created for it…the less link equity we get. Here’s an example
        • Pretent this link www.fakewebsite.com/message/1116  is the primary page for a discussion thread. It's also the URL for the Discussion. (Forget for a moment that the primary category Building Widgets isn't even in the URL)
        • When a User clicks on a discussion within that page, they're taken to another URL with the reply ID - like this www.fakewebsite.com/message/1789. The page doesn't change, just the URL because it's referencing the individual reply to the primary discussion.
        • The way Google will treat this (as I understand it) is by dividing the link equity between the two URLs even though the page is the same.

As i mentioned, we haven't launched so my concerns are un-founded at this point. But given what I know about SEO and specifically Google's approach to indexing and crawling sites, these things concern me.

Can anyone out there with a focus on SEO and a live site put my concerns at ease? Otherwise, are there any tips to addressing these gaps that don't require $1,000,000 in PS charges?

Thank you, kindly, in advance.