7 Replies Latest reply: May 31, 2011 7:12 AM by Jesse Kane RSS

Managing perceived risk of "undesirable" communities

Jesse Kane

We're preparing to launch our internal community this summer to over 10,000 employees. We've worked with all the right groups to address the common concerns about "scary social media". Except one. There is a lingering concern that Jive will encourage employees to connect around a specific business issue. This issue is one the company prefer not be given an open forum. I've pretty much exhausted my arguments about self-monitoring, community management, case studies, and every other pro-social media point I have in my arsenal. The Jive team is 200% prepared to manage the (minimal) real risk but I'm trying one last time to appease the specific critics.

Anyone else deal with fears over a very specific type of community? What was your solution, suggestion and/or sympathetic message?

• Re: Managing perceived risk of "undesirable" communities
          Trisha Liu

Hello Jesse - Thanks for raising this great question. When launching our customer community a few years ago, some employees asked "What if customers bash our products in the community?" My response, "Customers are talking about us anyway. If they want to bash us, better for them to do it in a place where we are participating, have the opportunity to see the concerns and respond directly."

I think this opportunity holds true for internal communities too. Just recently, an employee asked about the status of a product. His discussion subject line was a bit inflammatory, "Is [xyz product] dead?" Another employee took issue and immediately responded that he would request the discussion thread to be deleted. When I reviewed the original question, I did not see anything that warranted deletion of the discussion. Again, this is an opportunity for the company to see the concerns and respond, which we did.

My suggestions are:

- Acknowledge the fears that your team may have about the sensitive topic

- Set the expectation that IF the fear materializes, it will be addressed

- Set some guidelines ahead of time on how to respond. What information about the business issue can be shared with employees?

If employees become vocal enough about a particular issue, it is an opportunity for any number of things to happen:

- More open dialogue about the issue

- Business transparency

- Education and / or resetting expectations

I hope this is helpful!

Trisha

Tracy Maurer

Trisha, I couldn't agree with you more. Like you said, the conversations are happening anyway, either in the hallway, the bathroom, on IM. Better to tackle the issue head on, even if it is by saying that it is really something they can't or won't discuss. Best yet is if they DO address it, try to uncover what is really behind the question/discussion. As with anything else, what is driving the discussion turns out to be something very easily handled rather than the "big scary" thing that everyone fears.

Taking it even further, if they do address it head on, the "bad" part of the discussion won't leak outside of the company and do even more damage.

In some ways, they are the same arguments you use with your kids when you talk about telling the truth and them coming to you when they've done something wrong. "Wouldn't you rather tell me what really happened than for me to hear it from someone else and then make up my own stories as to how/why?"

Taking ownership and being transparent can be pretty scary things to face, but they can also be pretty freeing in the end because they allow the focus to be on getting work done.

Trisha Liu

I'd also like to link over to this thread about Addressing Risk - some great insights there!

Chris Comeaux

Jesse,

You raise an interesting point.  I think I know what you are talking about, but it can be a 3rd rail and I don't want to state it specifically in a post.  The tricky part is that while the content may be considered "undesirable" by some, it may be illegal to prevent it, especially in the US.

I'd love to see a discussion on it.

Or maybe I've totally missed your point .