12 Replies Latest reply: Jul 8, 2011 1:43 PM by Maggie RSS

How do you encourage users to complete their profiles

rhodeuk

Hi,

I was just wondering how you have encouraged users to complete their profiles on Jive.  Some sites have widgets that give users points on their profile for completing it or reinforrce the positives of a completed profile whilst highlighting the gaps they currently have, such as a missing picture or biography.  Is this functionality available?  If not what tricks have you found successful?

Thanks

Will

• Re: How do you encourage users to complete their profiles
          Noreen Poli

Hi Will,

What I have done that worked well to get users to complete their profile are:

1) I have pre-filled the fields I want to make sure are included and that I want to rank metrics on--easier for internal communities than external but not impossible.

2) I have made completing the profile one of the first exercises I have new members complete in their getting started training, in brown bag training's, and in training labs. The reason is that once they have completed their profile and their "personal view" page they are from a user perspective "more connected" and when they come back their site will speak more to them.

Hope that helps!

Noreen

HenrySinger

As an internal advocate / evangelist I blog about ways to improve internal collaboration, including completing profiles.  As one of my colleagues mentioned, while it would be great to improve the proportion of people with complete profiles, it is better to have access to people that really do want to collaborate.  In this case, education is the way to go.

glungari

We remind our users to not have the "generic" image from the home pag.
              profile.gif

aholbert

I've tried contests before and they have been extremely effective. Usually, I give a date range in which the users have to complete their profile (you can list profile specifics that are required to be completed) and offered one entry in a drawing upon profile completion. Examples of prizes offered have been company apparel or trinkets, gift cards for restaurants, PTO time, etc. 

Kevin Jones

One thing we are going to do is hang out in front of the cafeteria with posters, prompts, a camera and a table full of iPads.  We will encourage people to stop by, fill out their profile and take a picture in front of a green screen.  They can choose a background they would like their mug in front of.  Then we will go back in and put in their picture and avatar for them (since they can't do it right there). We will also have a prize of being able to use an iPad for a month (since we can't give them away) - We will have about 10 winners for this.

Not sure if it will work, but we are going to try it out!

rhodeuk

That's a really great idea, I agree with earlier comments that you need people to want to collaborate and use the tools available.  Social Technographics mean you're not going to get everyone playing ball from the get go but looking for new ways to encourage participation I think will make people think of these tools differently.

It's amazing how useful demo's are to help people understand what the tool is capable of and how completing a profile is integral to communities like this. 

rahuli

hello rhodeuk,

you can encrouge the user by sending the reminder msg of filling the profile entry over each visit of user and also add a polite warning that if you don't fill your profile than blank entries are add by default.

I hope you like the answer..

pune
                        Maggie

Great suggestions here.

My organization also used contests to encourage users to upload profile photos.  We had a few different categories to give people different options for entry - i.e. best photo showcasing a hiden talent, best profile image that isn't a photo (we've had illustrations). We also put the contest at the group level so that the groups that had all members with photos win, too.

Apart from contests, when educating new users about the platform, we always highlight the profile and have several good examples of profiles to show  - stories that illustrate the benefits or an interesting result of having a complete profile.