No, like I mentioned, my issue is with content I've already read still showing up. (I know about the unread toggle - that's not what I want.) If Jive insists on making messages persistent (ahem, like my email box) then I want you to give me a way to file stuff out of my way. I want the stuff gone. If I've read you - go away.
I gave similar feedback during beta. I don't want this stream to replace my email (always have lots of stuff in there). I literally want to either have stuff go away from the view automatically - or I want an option to clear it manually so I get it to zero.
Have you tried the "Unread only" checkbox at the top of the list of messages? This makes it so the list only displays the latest unread set of communications. Personally, I practically always have that checkbox enabled. Note that while you are reading the messages they will stay there until you leave that page and come back or until you refresh the page (say with a reload or clicking on the WM:C icon at the top again).
If you are interested, here's a bit on the design history. When we initially prototyped the interface we had those items disappear immediately from the list as you read them. But that quickly became annoying to many users who often first wanted to blast through all the items in the list then go back and respond to a subset of them. We also tried to allow deleting items, but people then said they wanted to be able to undo that, file items, etc. and it quickly expanded to a full email system. This is why we've kept it relatively simple.
Hope the checkbox approximates what you need.
No, like I mentioned, my issue is with content I've already read still showing up. I found that checkbox, too. That's not what I want either.
It seems you are telling me if I refresh that page the read messages will disappear, and I don't see that working that way, either. (So perhaps this is an implementation issue?)
So what you're telling me about the design is that Jive thought this was an "either or" scenario.
- Either all messages display
- or All messages go away on reading
And I think Jive should have done "either/and" - let the user decide. Instead, I see so many instances where Jive has removed the ability for the user to personalize their experience. And for a major installation like ours, where personalization was in the top 4 requirements of our evaluation requirements 4 years ago - I see this as a major set back.
Here's another area I raised during beta . . . when I go to my What Matters Communications - I don't want to see all my own posts mixed in - unless someone commented on it.
- If I just added a ton of support tickets (which is possible in this community) or just added a number of contributions to my work groups (again, more than possible) - then "What Matters" to me will not my own content. And yet my first screen here shows me all my own content.
- What matters to me is new contributions I haven't yet seen - or answers to my stuff.
- What would matter to me is the ability to filter this view so I can filter out my "sends or creations" and only view "new". If Jive wants to replace my email for Jive notifications, and if you want to make all my messages persistent in here (which I think that's what Jive is saying), then it needs to give me the same ability my email does and allow me fine control on how to manage it (i.e. let me move, set rules, or allow me to delete messages).
I've read the stuff in my communications. I want it out now. But there are messages still there. I know I gave this feedback during beta.
I'd love it if my activity stream didn't look like my email - always having stuff there. If I've read you go away. Or if you insist on making it persistent (like my email) then let me move you or file you.
And if I've said to 'stop tracking you' then stop showing up in my communications.