7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 15, 2011 2:03 PM by JohnSchwiller RSS

What Matters Communication seems to be doing something I don't want

Claire Flanagan

I've read the stuff in my communications. I want it out now. But there are messages still there. I know I gave this feedback during beta.

I'd love it if my activity stream didn't look like my email - always having stuff there. If I've read you go away. Or if you insist on making it persistent (like my email) then let me move you or file you.

And if I've said to 'stop tracking you' then stop showing up in my communications.

tracking.jpg

• Re: What Matters Communication seems to be doing something I don't want
          Curtis Gross

Hey Claire,

In the upper left of the communications inbox there is a toggle to see 'unread only'  is that the functionality you are looking for?  It should clean up everything except for items that are unread, and since you untracked that update it should not come back.

Claire Flanagan

No, like I mentioned, my issue is with content I've already read still showing up. (I know about the unread toggle - that's not what I want.) If Jive insists on making messages persistent (ahem, like my email box) then I want you to give me a way to file stuff out of my way. I want the stuff gone. If I've read you - go away.

I gave similar feedback during beta. I don't want this stream to replace my email (always have lots of stuff in there). I literally want to either have stuff go away from the view automatically - or I want an option to clear it manually so I get it to zero.

Brian Roddy

Have you tried the "Unread only" checkbox at the top of the list of messages?    This makes it so the list only displays the latest unread set of communications.   Personally, I practically always have that checkbox enabled.   Note that while you are reading the messages they will stay there until you leave that page and come back or until you refresh the page (say with a reload or clicking on the WM:C icon at the top again).  

If you are interested, here's a bit on the design history.   When we initially prototyped the interface we had those items disappear immediately from the list as you read them.  But that quickly became annoying to many users who often first wanted to blast through all the items in the list then go back and respond to a subset of them.   We also tried to allow deleting items, but people then said they wanted to be able to undo that, file items, etc. and it quickly expanded to a full email system.   This is why we've kept it relatively simple.   

Hope the checkbox approximates what you need.