13 Replies Latest reply: Aug 23, 2011 11:10 AM by Robert Dell'Immagine RSS

How do you manage non active users - do you inactivate after x time?

jschwefl

Hi External Community Managers,

I wanted to reach out to all of you to see how you handle non active users.

1.  How do you handle non active users? 

2.  Do you automatically inactivate after x amount of time? 

3.  What are the pros/cons?

Currently we have our community set to inactivate a user account if they haven't accessed the community in over a year but would like to investigate what others are doing and the best practice.

Thanks!

• Re: How do you manage non active users - do you inactivate after x time?
          Line6Miller

Hi Jennifer,

We've been running Jive since "Integrated" and we've never deactivated user account simply based on activity. The only time we delete accounts is for spamming or inappropriate behavior. The difference with our community however (and it's a big one) is that we manage a large external support community. A lot of people simply create an account, ask their question, get their answer, and move on. We also can't deactivate accounts as we have an SSO tied to our main site login.

One con that I can see about deactivating accounts would be losing email addresses for marketing purposes and newsletter send outs etc. but I have no idea how you are gathering (or if) that information and what you're using it for.

I know this probably isn't too helpful to you but I figured I'd chime in.

• How do you manage non active users - do you inactivate after x time?
            Gia Lyons

Hey Jen, I've asked jennifer.kelley to post the answer she gave me inside Brewspace, but Line6Miller describes what the majority of our customers do. You might want to check with Tim to see if there's a dedicated marketing effort re: eHR implementation consulting. If so, they might be interested in collecting that contact information for other selling/marketing efforts. At the very least, here's something to consider: Tim's team could use direct email campaigns to send valuable community content, created by your SMEs, to people who've registered and haven't been active for a few months (or, just send it to all registered users of a particular role, HIM, MD, etc.)

Jennifer Kelley

Hi, Jen -

Thanks for asking this question, it's a good one. Line6Miller's description is spot on for the majority of external community customers I work with in my capacity as a strategy consultant for Jive.  In many cases, occasional or situational usage may be consistent with your member needs and appropriate to the use case (e.g., support scenarios) and there is typically no compelling business reason to to disable/make inactive member accounts. 

In most cases, there is not a significant downside to external community members not being super active, outside of (of course) not getting the benefit of their regular input and engagement - and we'll want to address that in other ways.  If members don't log in and participate regularly, they aren't really visible within the community, and they don't tend to interfere with a positive community experience for others as inappropriate use or behavior would.  They still exist within the directory and their content is still there (often a good thing as it may have value and help inform others) but they are not otherwise visible.  So my first question is always, what would be the business benefit or requirement driving this?  What would be the upside, either for your community members at large or for your company, of deactivating them?

More frequently, we look at developing proactive strategies and techniques for fostering greater or more consistent engagement among the key groups of people or subject matter experts, again based either on an understanding of what would promote a better overall community experience or your strategic priorities.  Hope that helps!

Jenn

Jennifer Kelley

One last thought here. If for any reason you were to decide to disable inactive accounts after a certain period of time, you'd want to make sure to include that in your community guidelines as well...

Line6Miller

Also one important thing that I hope you're already doing is at least notifying these users that their account is being disabled before you actually do that. A simple email notifier to some people may be enough to light that spark under them to get them engaging again.

jschwefl

Thanks for some great feedback! From the sounds of the feedback so far there isn't a compelling business reason to to disable member accounts automatically.

But I would like to see if some other true public communities (open to anyone to join/not integrated with our directory) could chime in. I want to get a feel from a few more companies.

So just to state the question again:.

1.  How do you handle non active users?

2.  Do you automatically inactivate after x amount of time?

3.  What are the pros/cons?

Thanks!