11 Replies Latest reply: Apr 12, 2012 4:12 PM by cgrassi RSS

What Matters All Activity - Still not What Matters

Claire Flanagan

I gave this feedback during Beta. I see the deployment in the Jive community is no different. I have a decent size monitor. But between Jive header and borders and white space - the real content - what I want to see starts very low on the screen. I realize that some of this header overhead is the Jive community navigation, but still - it shouldn't be that expensive in terms of valuable real estate. In this design I only see two things that matter to me. "Likes" don't matter to me and I still would like to filter those out - or move them to another smaller column, because as far as I'm concerned they're moving into the stream something that doesn't matter to me.

I'd love this product to consider 'above the fold" best practices of web/web application design? Some of us really use Jive HEAVILY to get work done every day. I know you're going to say, but companies can change the theme. We never did - we've been able to use Jive out of the box - and we've opted to limit customization.

whatmatters_activity.jpg

• Re: What Matters All Activity - Still not What Matters
          Kevin Crossman

I too am not a fan of the GIGANTIC nav branding. I also find it sort of ironic that the custom nav for some of the main Places on the site is used when the out of the box product would never have something like that.

Aaron Johnson

hi guys,

Definitely a mistake on the branding, it's way too big, we'll be taking a look at this Monday morning and I hope to have something new in place next week.

AJ

Claire Flanagan

Thank you Aaron.

I have a 19" monitor. My traveling consultants (making up about 70% of our workforce) will have far smaller screens on the road. And still - if I take out the "Jive website navigation bar" What Matters is still "not what matters".  Yes, the Jive Community needs a new design. But Jive 5 out of the box does as well. Don't rely on customers to customize their themes - some of us won't (yes, including CSC - all we do is add a banner to limit customizations we have to update/test on upgrades - of which we've had to take too many to count).

And also if you read the rest of my comments above you'll realize I'm not only talking about 1) theme/design but I'm also talking about 2) What matters assuming "likes" are what matters for me and still taking a position in my main column stream that is taking valuable vertical real estate when I want more activity feeds.

I'd really like Jive to allow me to 1) move what gets displayed where (i.e. I'd probably delete Likes altogether, or at least let me move it to the right) and allow me to 2) decide what type of content (give me fine grain filter control) I want in my main feed.

I gave this feedback during Beta on the Jive 5 out of the box to Patrick Lin. I assume he shared my very detailed feedback with the entire product management/development team. However, with what I see here it seems no one listened - and it's more than frustrating to suspect that Jive doesn't really care about its large, very successful major enterprise installations. I'm annoyed every time I hear a Jive person tell me "but prospects love this new interface". Prospects don't have the product installed yet in very large installations. Nor, do they realize how much fine-grain control this release removed from the product for extremely successful, very active, and heavily used installations.

We have 90+ registered users - close to 70K of those are continually active every month in close to 10K+ groups. We are generating millions of page views and hundreds of thousands of activities every week. I don't mind Jive adding a genius function to assume what I want to see. I don't want Jive to assume it knows best, though. I don't want "either or" (either genius or personalization) - I want you to do both. Add genius recommendations if you want. Don't remove my ability to control what that engine does - let me filter, let me change, let me fine tune those settings. Don't take away the fine grain control we need to correct the engine.I don't want Jive to assume it's smarter than me as to what Matters to Me - because so far - both in the beta and in this community - I can tell you it fails - for a very, very, very small site. I know it will be horrible for our major enterprise installation.

My other issue is with notifications. You remove my ability to tune my email notifications. I've emailed Josh Richau about this as late as Friday last week. This is another major oversight of Jive's. Especially since it seems like there's still issues in this small community.

jbernsen

We are piloting usage of Jive 5 at Lexmark, and I agree with Claire Flanagan about needing more control over the What Matters Activity.  The activity stream would be much more useful to me if I could hide a couple of sections (or pin them to the bottom of the list).  For me, the noisy sections are "Latest Likes" and "Social News".  Sorry -- on a broad scale, I don't care who liked what, who's following whom, or who joined what group.  On particular posts, groups, or people I'm interested in, I can check all of those things already.  If a post is "Liked" or commented often enough, I'll discover it through trending and reading the comments of my followed people.

Looking for updates on this question.  Thanks!

matthas

With respect to Claire's general comment on "above the fold best practices", jive seems to build in quite a lot of what I'll call vertical buffer space. I am all for good layout and use of white space, but it seems it could be thinned down a bit and still maintain the visual appeal.

Claire Flanagan

James Bernsen Since a few product management folks engaged with me after this post, I'll share a little of what I think I heard. I believe I've heard (and seen product comps) that Jive 6 will bring back some Jive personalization greatness. I think they erroneously looked at the fact that a lot of folks didn't use "My View" and mistook that for "personalization doesn't matter". Instead, what I've heard about Jive 6 is that they get personalization does matter, and maybe it just needed to be easier to do so individuals could be put back in control of what they want to see/watch and consume for "feeds". So they'll bring personalization back, but will make it better than what we as customers might have envisioned (at least that was my take based on comps I saw in October).

I don't know know where Jive will go with their UI/UX design on the streams that remain. I do think they have work still to do with visual design/screen real estate and I hope that makes it to Jive 6 as well.

Josh Richau Thought I'd @ you in case you have more to share than what I remember . . .

Amanda Shenon

I've seen a lot of chatter from people in the past year+ (Jive 5 beta to present) wanting to filter streams like in 4.5 - based on connections and mentions and then also adding places.  Hopefully Jive 6 will bring that functionality back in some way as well as let people filter out other content they think is noise.  Personally I don't mind the Likes in the Jive Community stream as they show me content I might not have otherwise known about (a goal of the stream in general I think) but at work I really want a more focused stream if I'm going to use it to get things done. I have to be able to shut out the noise and get work done with my core teams.  If I want to go and see what's going on "across the entire company" I may want that option - but not in my face all the time.

For me, the "just joined the community" updates are a lot of noise and they push valuable information out of the stream too fast...

+10 to Claire's comments that there is a big difference between casually looking at an interface and getting real work done in it every day.

Josh Richau

Very well said Claire. We are providing personalization in a new way. We also continue to improve the UX of the streams.

cgrassi

From what I have seen you guys will love the new improvements.  Personalisation is back and better than ever with Jive 6.

Kevin Crossman

Definitely a mistake on the branding, it's way too big, we'll be taking a look at this Monday morning and I hope to have something new in place next week.

Any updates?

mdcrocker

The additional noise is similar to seeding all activity in the prior version.  Once the communities are up and running, this gets swapped out fast.  Has anyone gotten feedback on whether the amount of noise caused people to not visit or use this?

Mike