7 Replies Latest reply: Aug 26, 2011 10:57 PM by Karl Rumelhart RSS

Anyone done anything to tweak search?

Jem Janik

My community, Engage, is almost a year & a half old and we have over 56,000 members.  I just finished a survey to members & one thing I'm hearing is that as more and more content goes into Engage the search experience is getting worse.  Has anyone done anything to change configurations to search as your content has grown?

• Anyone done anything to tweak search?
          Tracy Maurer

We're having this same complaint. And I just realized that the fact that bookmarks aren't surfaced in spotlight search has actually made that worse instead of better. It seems like although bookmarks were removed from the results, they weren't added to the relevance score. This means that searches we'd all come to rely on aren't working any more, and it is a struggle to find something that will work.

I'd love to hear if anyone has found anything to address this, and/or to know what Jive's plans are in this arena. Without applying Jive 5 against our own content, I'm not sure what search changes might be applied in 5 already and whether they would resolve some of our issues.

• Re: Anyone done anything to tweak search?
              Jem Janik

I would agree that without the bookmarks in highlight search combined with them not influencing the relevance score does seem to be making it harder.

JohnSchwiller

I'm seeing bookmarks in Spotlight - try w*r*I*n*k*l*e  (not that you'd need to). Note that I've spammed out the bookmarks (with multiple accounts) but they still show in the spotlight results which I think is annoying.

Tracy Maurer

OK, so point of clarification, John. External bookmarks saved in Jive still display, Internal bookmarks (i.e. I bookmark this discussion, my support community, and Jem's JiveWorld 2011 slides) are no longer displayed in results. I think this behavior is OK, assuming that when the bookmarks were removed from results, they were added to the algorithm for determining relevance scores. From what I am seeing in my research of our 4.5.6.1 instance, that is not what happened. For example, I have a Jive document that has 20 bookmarks. When I use keywords that are in the document and also in the bookmarks, I get results that don't include the bookmarked document. I want to better understand the search engine, because we are having a harder and harder time getting desired results to surface (due to quantity of content on a single subject).

Jem Janik

That is the exact same problem we’re seeing too; you articulated it better.

Nick Hill

Internal bookmarks were removed from spotlight search results in 4.5.6 because we don't offer any way to filter them out in that interface and thats primarily where the complaints were. They were left in on the full search results page because it's possible to filter them out and we wanted to limit the changes in a patch release. We also couldn't rearchitect the search indexes to take bookmark data into account for the primary content object in a patch release.

I'm pretty certain they were fully removed from the full search page in 5.0, but I'll have to look into how they feed relevance for the primary objects.

Karl Rumelhart

Thanks Nick.  To fill in the story about 5.0, in this release we did what Tracy suggests: we took any text of public bookmarks (notes and tags) and added them to the full text field of the content that they are associated with in the search index. So, if I have a document that has text "document text" in it and then I bookmark it with a public bookmark and in my bookmark I include the notes "my bookmark notes", the text field for the document in the index will contain:  "document text my bookmark notes".   If there are multiple bookmarks for a document then the text from all of the bookmarks is included.