5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 15, 2011 1:45 PM by JohnSchwiller RSS

Create objects such as blog, forum, idea, tasks outside a group

John Tropea

At work we use another vendor, but are looking to replace our software.

Often we get requests for a wiki, blog or forum, and I say have you got a community of people, they say no "I don't have a group of people with a shared interest on a topic, I have one other person and we want to collaborate on a wiki, I have no use for a group space", or sometimes the request is a blog to post about an event or a forum to gather feedback.

They don't want a group space, they just want an object, often as a short-term thing and then they disband.

This is one thing I like about IBM Connections (which is another vendor I'm investigating), in that you can find all blogs in the blog directory, all forums in the forum directory, all wikis in the wiki directory

- the directory will list all objects whether in a community or not

Is Jive looking into this type of one off collaboration where a group space does not pre-exist or a group doesn't really exist at all?

I'm aware you can create online docs, and actually there is a directory for these browse>content>documents

I'm aware that you can create blogs outside of a group, but I don't see a blog directory...I only see browsing for blog posts?

I don't think you can create a forum outside of a group, and there lacks a feature to browse all forums...instead you can browse forum posts

I think this is an important use case, Mike Gotta calls it the "whitespace"

He says:

…I would argue that workspaces tried to solve the problem of “directed collaboration”. Directed collaboration occurs when the structure of an activity (e.g., a process workflow, exception handling, or a project deliverable) compels people to participate in a collaborative context. The roles people have assigned to them within a structured activity can also direct them to collaborate. Workspaces can be a powerful solution for directed collaboration.

However, not all collaboration needs are so explicit and “purposeful”. The narrow focus on workspaces left a tremendous amount of whitespace in organizations where people still needed to informally interact, communicate, share information, collaborate - but in ways where an activity-centric “sense of place” was either unnecessary or too structured. Social tools (Enterprise 2.0) helped fill the void for people to develop informal collaborative relationships in-and-around work activities that come and go. One could argue that these informal, emergent types of collaborative relationships are more valuable to an organization in the long run

- Mike Gotta

• Re: Create objects such as blog, forum, idea, tasks outside a group
          JohnSchwiller

Sent you an invite to a private discussion (in case you haven't tried them)

JohnSchwiller

BTW I found a 'rudimentary' blog directory.

Create > Blog post > Browse for more places - select Blogs

blog-directory-one.jpg

Takes you to:

blog directory.jpg

However as suggested in  Where do I view blogs, forums I'm following, where I'm not following the place they live in   it would be useful if Browse > Content > Blog posts also allowed you to find Blogs you are following.

Message was edited by: John Schwiller added citation

Kevin Crossman

Jive supports the creation of documents, discussions, and blogs (with the associated blog posts), that are attached to a user's profile rather than to a community. So, I think this is what you're asking for.

Not every Jive community enables these features (we disabled "personal discussions") but they are there.

I understand you point about a "blog directory", but browsing of blog posts is probably just as good of a way to see what content is actually relevant (based on actual content, not just the name of the blog).

They don't want a group space, they just want an object, often as a short-term thing and then they disband

Both John and Kevin answered this one--you can either create a private discussion, or a doc in Your documents:

doc.png

This is one thing I like about IBM Connections (which is another vendor I'm investigating), in that you can find all blogs in the blog directory, all forums in the forum directory, all wikis in the wiki directory
                - the directory will list all objects whether in a community or not

I'm aware that you can create blogs outside of a group, but I don't see a blog directory...I only see browsing for blog posts?

We do have an open ticket for the request function: JIVE-4484 "Provide ability to browse all blogs (blog containers) in the community." I added this discussion to the ticket.

Is Jive looking into this type of one off collaboration where a group space does not pre-exist or a group doesn't really exist at all?

Yes, there has been internal discussion about this, however it has not yet been formalized and added to the product roadmap.

I don't think you can create a forum outside of a group, and there lacks a feature to browse all forums...instead you can browse forum posts

This would be a private discussion, as previously mentioned. By "forums" do you mean the parent container, or individual discussions? You can go to Browse > Content > All > Discussions.

Apologies--I misread. Discussions do require a parent container (place).

While discussions are an available content type in all places, it is up to the space admin or group owner to allow that content type. Further, you may browse places, however there is not an indicator of allowed content types without going directly to that place's Content tab.

Thank you