17 Replies Latest reply: Oct 4, 2011 11:27 AM by thebryceswrite RSS

Internal communication channels

Kim England

Really excited about JiveWorld11 and meeting lots of other ECM's and others using JiveSoftware.

I was wondering if anyone attending has used Jive to build, replace or work with internal newsletters. I am working with the various internal communications teams and would really love to go back to them after JiveWorld with some new ideas about how they can use Jive as a comms channel.

A lot of them what Jive to be able to create html templates for them to send to drive traffic to their social group or space.

Ideas, suggestions, experience, do's and don'ts all welcome.....if anyone fancies meeting up to discuss and share that would be awesome.

Kim

• Internal communication channels
          Claire Flanagan

Be sure to talk to Gary Lungarini from CSC while you're there. He's speaking in the Guru and Yoga track about our work with C3 and how much we've been able to replace our traditional intranet with our Jive Instance. He also works closely with our Corporate Communications team who were early adopters of our Jive community even before we shut down other tools. 

• Re: Internal communication channels
              Kim England

Thanks Claire - we have replaced a lot of our intranets and corporate communications with our instance of Jive, the challenge we have is that some programs and small BU's want to hold on to their newsletter or want to post content onto Jive, but then have some sort of automated monthly highlights HTML mailout highlighting all new content (particular whilst we are still a young community and not everyone logs in regularly) I wil be sure to catch up with Gary. I also look forward to meeting others to discuss this challenge.

Amanda Shenon

I am interested in this as well!  I have departments that want to be able to highlight “what’s going on” across their own organization as well as to other internal teams.  Newsletters have been requested a number of times so I’d also like to hear how others have approached this.

Andrew Kratz

We use our Jive instance as a replacement for our Intranet home page.  Our corp comm group has been effective in getting all of their top stories out on the home page with similar viewership they had with our "web 1.0".  They experimented with RSS feeds and featured content.  They settled in on using the "View a document" widget so that the could control the order and style of the stories with the related data they wanted to show.

As for newsletters, we too have that issue that many BU's can't let go of that polished pdf.  My partnerPatrick Durando  hit it on the head when he commented that it is hard for a communication person to let go of this solid deliverable and replace it with those shorter discussion/documents in a piece-meal process.  Even if it is may be more effective as a communication teqhnique.  Having said that we have had success in convincing BU communicators that they need to play to the Adult ADD nature of people where the short burst story is just more digestible than a multipage newsletter.  So although they have not abandoned the newsletter we do have a couple of groups following it up with replays of stories as an individual piece.  I guess a bit like the music industry where you release the whole CD/Album but then also release the singles.  If we are right, those individual stories will get more reads collectively than the overall newsletter and convince those communicators to go with the short, targeted and continual stream of stories rather than a monthly or quarterly giant.

had success in convincing them to not only do the 10 page newsletter but then follow it up with shorter 1 topic stories. 

Kevin Crossman

I'd love to see this in action (or screenshot). Very interesting.

lengutman

Andrew,

Hopefully we're going to move our entire intranet structure to Jive when we are done with the install and we're going to connect it with SharePoint. I'd love to chat in Vegas about what McGraw Hill has done...

Len

Andrew Kratz

Sure....lets discuss.  For our Intranet sites under our home page umbrella (about 30 sites) our strategy is more to let them see the value of the Jive platform and come to us, rather than us have a forced march off of our web 1.0 intranet sites.   So we are getting some decent traction leveraging this approach.  Most of the business owners of those sites have been looking for more web 2.0 type tools to have a two way conversation anyway.   We also have a large Sharepoint footprint (about 3,500 sites) but it is mainly used as a glorified file-share.  We are hearing about many of those use cases heading to our Jive instance as well.

See you tomorrow at the networking events!

Andrew

Nick Howe

Andrew Kratz wrote:

We also have a large Sharepoint footprint (about 3,500 sites) but it is mainly used as a glorified file-share.  We are hearing about many of those use cases heading to our Jive instance as well.

So far most of our SP users seem to want to cling to their 'content farms'.  Any nuggets on why some of your users are abandoning SP?

Andrew Kratz

Our sharepoint site is not very robust. There is no business sponsorship so as an IT project it is more of a "you get what you get". Users nd teams are not allowed to customize their site to any great extent. Additionally, we have a pretty complex domain/forrest situation globally which causes access issues. Eventually you can get users access, but the provisioning is hit or miss when launching a new site.

So for all of those reasons, Jive looks pretty good for our users. Having said that, many users have much invested in SP, so it is certainly not a stampede to get onto Jive.

sbrown

Kim.... great topic! I need to figure a way to have our internal newsletters posted up with some cool "flare" and I"m not sure how to do it. Are you putting something together for peeps to meet and chat?

Suzame Tong

Love the energy around this topic. Just wanted to mention we do have some roundtables scheduled about improving corporate communications:

Wednesday:

• 1:30-2:30 PM
                              • 2:45-3:45 PM

Thursday:

• 1:30-2:30 PM

Feel free to take over one of these sessions to keep your discussion and ideas flowing. Register on-site for roundtables adjacent to the main conference registration.

Jen Callahan

This topic is actually one of the many reasons I'm here. I'm an internal communications manager, and we are also struggling with users still somewhat attached to receiving the newsletter in pdf form - any suggestions? I'd really like to use to distribute internal news on a more continuous basis (using blog posts, etc) as opposed to a weekly distribution schedule.

Kim England

Can we opt for the Thursday session?

• Internal communication channels
                                    thebryceswrite

We have done something along these lines, replacing a weekly email based newsletter with a Jive Space. I don't think I can join the Thursday session as we have a Jive Hero window we are presenting at during that time...but feel free to reach out to me if you want to chat about what we've done to make that work.  It is managed through our internal communications department.  We just help them get setup initially.