18 Replies Latest reply: Dec 13, 2013 6:28 AM by Paul Rapoza RSS

Using Jive as a Document Library

Genevieve Szablya

Hi all,

I'm new to the Jive Community and am hoping you can help me with a question that has been circling around us. We are in the process of weighing the pros & cons of integrating with SharePoint, or just using Jive as our document library. We don't use the workflow/versioning on SharePoint - we really just use it as a document repository, but are concerned about the lack of hierarchy and document description capabilities in Jive.

Have any of you used Jive to house your company's documents? If so, how has it worked for you? Has it been successful? Any tips?

Thanks a bunch!

• Re: Using Jive as a Document Library
          XMaskuli

I've had similar concerns from users in our community. JIVE has categories, which you can use in place of folders. There are things that Sharepoint is very good at such as sorting by creation date by title, etc. Each has pros and cons, I'm not sure what you mean by document descriptors though.

Genevieve Szablya

Thanks. Sorry - by document descriptors I mean more the ability to see the document description when you're looking at a list of documents. Also, we're a bit concerned about the privacy of the documents (particularly HR).

JohnSchwiller

Re privacy of documents (particularly HR), I have never come across any situation where a user has been able to see content in a container to which they don't have access.

If however you are talking about a user posting a document to their personal area and forgetting to set the read visibility to control access then that is a user issue. It's also something your Community Managers need to be on the look out for. Only yesterday on JC a new user posted a couple of docs which they thought went into their secret group and I think I spotted them within a few minutes (10 tops) and talked them through a) what they had done (or actually not done) and b) how to move them into their secret group.

It's also worth alluding to some requirements gathering that is going on right now re a future development that may provide some more granularity on read visibility  - but that's very much futures

Genevieve Szablya

I did see it, but hoping to see if anyone out there might have experience using Jive as a document library specifically (we're already sold on the social collaboration capabilities), just to see how it's working for them.

Nikki Bussard

It's very hard to convince users to leave their beloved file systems behind. The concept of file systems is simple, so people tend to get confused and call them "intuitive." In fact, it's incredibly common for people to dig through multiple files (even in structures they created themselves) looking for something, and to even give up on posting something because they can't figure out where it goes. That's why search was invented—file structures are not at all intuitive, and most files eventually meet up with the duck-billed platypus conundrum (they belong to more than one group).

However, there are other aspects of Jive that make it not-so-great for managing large libraries, the most important being that there is no way to perform bulk actions on multiple files. That is, you can only load, move, delete, rename, retag, apply permissions to, archive, etc. one file at a time. This is fine for most end users, who generally only have one file at a time to deal with, but for those managing libraries or other repositories, not so much. Enter the SharePoint Connector. We're in the process of setting it up now for our internal community, so I have no specific experience with it, but I expect it to work well.

I believe I've said this before, but I don't think Jive has any intention of shoring up its document management capabilities and I think there are good reasons for that. It's better for them (and for us) if they focus on doing social well, and use their integration and app capabilities to connect to others who have already evolved the art of document management.

Paul Rapoza

Is there anything available that allows Jive to show a SharePoint folder structure?