17 Replies Latest reply: Apr 2, 2014 7:46 PM by john ridings RSS

How do you induct people into your community?

Kim England

Here at Pearson we are really good at getting people onboard with Neo for existing colleagues, but we are struggling with the WOW factor for our new starters. We want to make our community part of the induction process but we want to make sure we aren't contradicting what our community is about. We have thought of flashdrives with our dino video on, but we are concerned we are giving people the wrong impression on day one. We would prefer people store or share a file on Neo rather than on a memory stick. We could include flyers in their onboarding packs etc. but it doesn't speak WOW to me.

What does everyone else do?

• Re: How do you induct people into your community?
          Amanda Shenon

Hi Kim -

Do your new users get a Welcome email when they join the community?  Do they step through a short new user wizard?  We've tried to make those two experiences interesting and easy for our users and it seems to be working.

What we are looking at now is redirecting new users to an "intro video" after they've completed registration.  That could be another way to get people excited about the system and off to a running start.

- Amanda

sbrown

Video is a great tool to use. We've done that here and I hope to have more created as we move to 5.0 later this year. I also frequently do either in-person live demonstrations or via Web. That seems to get the ball rolling well. I additionally like to highlight (celebrate) the top performers as well as successes to help draw. Looking for more creative ways as we move forward.

BTW Kim, I was in your audience at JiveWorld in Oct. and was blow away at what you've accomplished with Neo. We often refer to your instance when we brainstorm ideas here.

Scott

Lindsay May

Hi Kim,

One thing we just started doing to improve our new hire communication/adoption of our system is to introduce them to our instance (LTPulse)  by showing new employees how they can use it to get up to speed faster for their roles, find benefit info, join groups, etc. We are doing this through a four-week email series linking back to content that is in our Jive instance. We use Jive as our only intranet.

So far, about 60% of the employees who receive the communication have logged into our instance... we're still working on fine-tuning everything and to get 100% of new team members logged in. (in our instance, you don't exist in LTPulse until you log in for the first time).

Lindsay

Erin Haines

This is something that we are always trying to improve! We have worked closely with our HR team to get our instance as one of the first things they learn about on their first day. It has been added to their list of "to-dos" (which HR has set up sorta like a scavenger hunt) to log in and complete their profile on their first day. Along with that, we do live introductions in person when we can or via web. We have also worked with HR to build a Space in our instance that has all of the "Day One"   information that they need to read, fill out etc. 

This approach has proved successful in terms of getting our new employees logging in & completing their profiles...but we are still trying to find ways to get them engaged & participating more. Curious to know more about how you have used video - are these just demos of the community/how to use/benefits etc.?

sbrown

Erin,

To answer your video question;

Prior to kicking off our large scale roll out, we had a very successful pilot where we focused on two business units. Out of the pilot came many learnings and even some successes where efficiencies were created as well as $$ saved. We also identified our strong advocates (all reside in other locations across the US). From this, our video folks created a corp. wide launch video that included these folks, some other high level influencers and myself. We continue to use this video today and as we continue our rollout/upgrade, we'll use more video that highlghts more successes, experiences, etc. I also do create video demonstrations of certain features. I like to do them in 3-5 minute "snippets" as everyone is pressed for time. It's still much better than writing up a document and expect that people actually read it. It's better for them to see, and where I do live demo's, they can shout out a question or comment. It seems to be a good way to build community.

One of your comments brought up a poing. You said your approach is successful with new employees, and I would totally agree. It's the seasoned, long termers that sometimes are a challenge. Any thoughts/suggestions there?

john ridings

Is it possible to use Neo as the new hire process engine? In other words, make Neo the delivery mechanism for new hire induction. I assume all new hire videos, documents and "welcome aboard" information could be stored within a "on-boarding" community. Instead of an HR person handing out sheets of paper and emailing them docs, Neo could deliver these instead.  This approach would seem to allow the newbies to get their hands dirty with Neo on their very first day. Maybe, this doesn't provide a "wow" factor, but it would get them started on day one with Neo. Good luck.

Kim England

Wow thanks everyone some great ideas here - I think something I totally missed and I am getting from your responses is a face to face induction works really well, since I can't be in 70 countries I am going to suggest we make it part of the evangelist in each locations job to hold regular "New to Pearson, New to Neo" sessions.

At the moment people get a welcome pack which we can add something to, we can also send the email recycling out Dino video. I have recently started running reports of all our new starters and have emailed them an invite to our Welcome to Neo group.

john ridings we do make it the vehicle for induction in some locations so I think pushing this too is a great idea we already have some really good use cases of this.

sbrown we have been a lot more successful so far with our old timers than with our new comers because we need to get a consistent approach to onboarding. Interestingly it depends which team, business or country they start in. We don't ask people to register for Neo they are automatically signed up, so for the old timers we have reached the tipping point where information they need (old intranets) or to do there job, they have to log into Neo. With our new starters the same peer pressure is there but we want to make sure we are grooming our new starters in good Neo practice, making sure they complete their profile, know how to get started and can find all the help and tools they need.

It is always great hearing other people's approaches gives you new ideas to try, I think we are all in the same boat we are doing well but we all strive to do better. I am waiting to see what the target for me in terms of engagement is for 2012 we set the bar pretty high for 2011!

Kim England

I'm bumping this conversation again because we are about to change our onboarding process entirely at Pearson. We would like to include our Jive community, Neo in this process. I would really love to hear from any other companies about how they onboard colleagues, with and without the Jive community.

Thanks

paintchic42

I'm bumping your bump as I'm struggling with the onboarding process myself.  Any and all suggestions from the group are most welcome.  How are your currently addressing an existing Jive instance in your new employee onboarding process?

Tracy Maurer

Maybe a common theme this year.    We've never really had the ability to "dictate" onboarding, due to the way the company is structured. But there is now a new framework, and the responsible teams are coming together a bit on this. We'll be working to incorporate Jive training into that onboarding, and also looking at how we can bring "old-timers" back into the fold and/or up to speed on the changes to the platform since they were onboarded. I don't have specifics yet, and would be interested in hearing other's stories.

Christy Conklin

Introduction to our "Showroom" Intranet site is part of our onboarding.  We do a short demo and give them a "6 Essential things to do" sheet.  Teaching them how to search is key. They have to use the Showroom right off the bat to connect to their benefits information.  I follow up with all new hires about a month after they start to suggest they attend an hour-long webex or group training to learn more about the features of the site.  I've found that our younger employees just kind of take to it right away. 

paintchic42

What are the 6 things you ask them to do?

Jennifer Erzen

Sent from my iPhone. Please pardon brevity and typos.

Christy Conklin

It's actually not things they have to "do" but things that are important

1. Upload a photo/fill out their profile

2. Search. How it works

3. Personalizing their experience by following people,places and activity

4. Email alerts for company announcements and activity that's important to them

5. Join or create groups

6. Share your voice by creating, commenting, liking sharing, status

john ridings

One thing to strongly encourage - a job description, specific expertise or a customer they support. In many companies, people often seek help with a problem and spend far too much time to find the right person. So, if you are an excel wizard, power point jockey or the sales director for customer X, include this in a profile.

paintchic42

Thanks John.  That I already put in my intro speech, but its important to remember for this setting as well.  They can't find you if you don't tell them what you can do!

john ridings

at the risk of sounding like "Mr Obvious", the essential effort all of us face is changing a work culture. a culture is loosely defined as a collection of learned behaviors shared across a group of people. Therefore, to create or change a culture, behavior modification is required. Approach a community launch or "community revival" with this behavior modification in mind. List the things that people do vs the new methods you want them to do. Find two or three strategies for each behavior requiring change. Keep track of successes and failures. Build on the successes and study the failures.

One last thing.....think of a community as a grand experiment in human behavior modification.  In fact, human behavior modification might be something each CM should study before a community launch.

good luck out there....