7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 28, 2012 4:18 PM by chl_meg RSS

What Activities for Participants? To Match CMR Definition

Ted Hopton

I am trying to sync up the terminology I use in my SAP BO reports with that of the CMR. So, what WHERE clause do I need to match the definition for Participants? I used CREATE or RATE_OR_VOTE or MODIFY but I ended up with totals for each month that exceed the number of members we have in the system.

Also, is the Active object in the SAP BO universe going to get renamed, since it no longer matches the definition used in CMR, where Active = Viewed?

cc: Karl Rumelhart

• Re: What Activities for Participants? To Match CMR Definition
          Ted Hopton

Dave Sullivan if you want to look at the report, it is Participation Report in Member Activity in UBM Reports.

david.sullivan

Hi Ted,

With regards to the BO definitions, no the definition will remain as it is.

To emulate the same in BO: I would not use the Active Members metric and just use the Member object combined with the activity type.

In this way you are free to define the member types.

For a variable:

Viewer = Count([Member]) Where([Activity Type] = "VIEW")

Or just create a member count variable:

=Count([Member])

Then filter the table/graph/report/page etc to only include view as an activity type.

The same can be done for any activity type or group of activity types (InList).

In this way one can group members by the type of activities (Viewer, Contributor (create, modify, rate_or_vote etc.))

Best regards,

Dave

Ted Hopton

Thanks for the speedy response, Dave. I want to use variables so I can perform calculations. Here is my Participants variable:

=Count([Member]) Where([Activity Type] = "CREATE" Or [Activity Type] = "RATE_OR_VOTE" Or [Activity Type] = "MODIFY")

Why does this return a count in some months that is greater than the number of enabled accounts we had in the system?

Here is the definition of Participants for CM Reports:

Users who have commented, liked, rated/voted, edited, or created content in the previous 30 days

So, what activity codes do I need to match that? When I omit MODIFY I get much smaller counts returned, but I wasn't sure if I needed that to capture those who edited content,

david.sullivan

Modify does seem to be the issue.

As defined the report just lists any activity = MODIFY.

It does not limit it to content as far as I can tell.

So if a member modifies their profile, they are counted etc.

So this is essentially a summation of member counts per activity type.

Here is a broken out sub-sample:

Participate data.jpg

It may be better to count the members against a qualifier, like an activity types list which is equated with participation.

Something like Participant Activity Types =If([Activity Type]InList("CREATE";"RATE_OR_VOTE";"MODIFY")) Then(1) Else(0)

Then count the members based on meeting that qualification.

Not sure will have to look into it further.

As the CMR data also includes the Like counts which we do not have access to I am not sure if trying to match these particular numbers (CMR vs BO) would be possible.

Ted Hopton

OK, then my first reaction is, Karl Rumelhart, that the Community Manager Reports need to step up and advance quickly. Yep, time for praise is over and now we want more!

I'm in an untenable situation if the CMRs that so many members of our community are going to come to rely on don't match up with other reports I am providing, and all of my pre-CMR reports have been from the SAP BO site. Now I have these issues, for starters:

• Active Users, as I have been reporting them for years, do not mean the same thing that it means in the CMR, where it means Viewers.
                  • Participants is a useful new term in CMR but I can't report on it from SAP BO, so I can't provide the kind of detailed breakdown I'd like to supplement the CMR -- making me entirely dependent on the reporting capabilities of the CMR for this, and so more demanding that it improve significantly and quickly.
                  • Contributors is a nice term in CMR but it is exactly the same as Creators in SAP BO. It's confusing to have different systems use different terms for the same thing. At least I can rename this in all of my SAP BO reports.
                  • We need to be able to go back more than one year when we pull data, so we can compare year over year results as well as see seasonality patterns. CMR does not let me do this and if I can't reproduce the results in SAP BO we're severely limited.

So, when is the next version of the CMR coming out? And do you need some input on what it needs to do? :-)