36 Replies Latest reply: Oct 8, 2008 5:18 PM by sgaddam RSS

Clearspace 2.0, Tomcat 5.5 service hangs on Windows

casadyc

When I was upgraded from Clearspace 1.10 to 2.0 using the WAR file with a Tomcat 5.5 server on Windows 2003, the Tomcat service will peg the CPU at 100% when the clearspace.war file is dropped into the webapps folder and the Tomcat Windows service is restarted.  It appears that the service is hung, but it eventually recovers and then begins to run normally.

Here's the sequence of events as it happened for me:

1. Stopped the Tomcat Windows service.
      2. Backed up jiveHome directory and clearspace database
      3. Removed the existing clearspace directory and clearspace.war file from the webapps folder.
      4. Modified the WAR file by using the "EditWAR.jar" tool to modify my jiveHome directory.
      5. Dropped the new WAR file into the webapps folder.
      6. Restarted the Tomcat Windows service.
      7. Confirmed that the clearspace folder under webapps is generated.

At this point, the CPU is pegged at 100% by the Tomcat service (tomcat5.exe).  After several minutes, the utilization dropped and I was able to proceed with the upgrade process by pointing the browser to the Clearspace site.

After completing the upgrade, the instructions stated that I needed to restart the application.  Since I had the service MMC up and Clearspace is the only app installed in this Tomcat installation, I just restarted the Tomcat service.  Again, after restarting the service, the CPU was pegged at 100% for several minutes before it became usable again.

I have confirmed that the application causing Tomcat to peg the server is Clearspace because I have restarted the service several times successfully without the clearspace.war file deployed.

Currently at this point, while the app appears to have been upgraded successfully and configured properly, Clearspace now causes 100% CPU utilization upon any request of the web application, or whenever the application is reloaded from within the Tomcat Web Application Manager.

Does anyone have any ideas what would be causing this?  Have I missed some critical configuration piece for my scenario?

Here's a summary of my setup:

- Windows 2003 Server Enterprise SP2

- Sun JVM 1.6.0_01-b06

- Clearspace 2.0 (version downloaded today)

- Apache Tomcat 5.5.26

I'd love to hear the simple and silly thing that I missed which is causing me so much pain.

Thanks,

Chad

• Re: Clearspace 2.0, Tomcat 5.5 service hangs on Windows
          Jochen Kirchgessner

Hi Chad,

I'd love to give you the reason for your problem but I cant. Even worse: same here. The environment:

- Windows XP SP2

- Sun JVM 1.6.0_01-b06

- Clearspace 2.0

- Apache Tomcat 5.5.26

- MySQL 5.0.51

After waiting for Tomcat bloating up to about 150 MB while using 100% CPU (takes about 2 to 3 minutes), everything runs well. This happened after I got the Clearspace Community Beta 6 war file and deployed it to Tomcat using a virgin jiveHome folder. Any explanation for possible mistakes during setup would be helpful.

Cheers,

Jochen

Beau Gordon

Me too.

Windows 2k3 server

Tomcat 6.0.14

Java 1.5_13

MySQL 5.0

It's taking substantially longer than a couple of minutes in my case, though this may be because I am running in a VM and not giving enough resources to clearspace..  This is just a clean install in a test environment.

casadyc

Jochen,

In your implementation, does Clearspace run fine after Tomcat gets done making full use of the CPU?  I'm still having severe performance problems, even after it's been running for a couple of hours.  Every hit to the web server causes the CPU on my server to spike to 100% for a few moments and the response to the client is ~7-10 seconds.

It's almost like the Tomcat server is having difficulty caching the Clearspace application, and it's reloading it upon every request.

Thanks for posting your response -- misery loves company!

Chad

Jochen Kirchgessner

Chad,

I can confirm that after this "initialization" process, Clearspace runs fine on my system. Sorry to hear it's not like that for you. Further I have to correct myself, I'm running Tomcat 6.0.16 - sorry about the wrong information.

Jochen

If you're experiencing a brief period of high CPU usage right after you've installed the clearspace.war is probably due to Tomcat deploying it. That's expected behavior, but shouldn't last more than a minute or so on modern hardware (your milage may vary if you're using a VM).

- Seth -

casadyc

Seth,

Thanks for the response.  The high CPU usage lasts for quite some time, and continues with every request of the server.  It works for a while (however very slowly), before Tomcat finally pukes on the screen and reports a 500 error to the user:

"java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space"

The full exception is:

javax.servlet.ServletException: Filter execution threw an exception
                                 org.apache.struts2.dispatcher.ActionContextCleanUp.doFilter(ActionContextCleanUp.java:99)
                                 com.jivesoftware.community.web.filter.JiveCacheFilter.doFilter(JiveCacheFilter.java:204)
                                 com.jivesoftware.community.web.filter.JiveDynamicResponseHeaderFilter.doFilter(JiveDynamicResponseHeaderFilter.java:66)
                                 com.jivesoftware.community.web.filter.PresenceFilter.doFilterInternal(PresenceFilter.java:134)
                                 org.springframework.web.filter.OncePerRequestFilter.doFilter(OncePerRequestFilter.java:75)
                                 org.springframework.web.filter.DelegatingFilterProxy.invokeDelegate(DelegatingFilterProxy.java:183)
                                 org.springframework.web.filter.DelegatingFilterProxy.doFilter(DelegatingFilterProxy.java:138)
                                 com.jivesoftware.community.web.filter.JiveCompressionFilter.doFilter(JiveCompressionFilter.java:103)
                                 com.jivesoftware.community.web.filter.SetRequestCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetRequestCharacterEncodingFilter.java:73)
                                 org.directwebremoting.servlet.DwrWebContextFilter.doFilter(DwrWebContextFilter.java:91)
                                 com.jivesoftware.base.plugin.PluginFilter.doFilter(PluginFilter.java:75)
                                 org.acegisecurity.util.FilterChainProxy$VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:265)
                                 com.jivesoftware.community.aaa.JiveAuthenticationTranslationFilter.doFilter(JiveAuthenticationTranslationFilter.java:99)
                                 org.acegisecurity.util.FilterChainProxy$VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:275)
                                 com.jivesoftware.community.aaa.FeedsBasicProcessingFilter.doFilter(FeedsBasicProcessingFilter.java:146)
                                 org.acegisecurity.util.FilterChainProxy$VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:275)
                                 org.acegisecurity.ui.rememberme.RememberMeProcessingFilter.doFilter(RememberMeProcessingFilter.java:142)
                                 org.acegisecurity.ui.AbstractProcessingFilter.doFilter(AbstractProcessingFilter.java:271)
                                 org.acegisecurity.context.HttpSessionContextIntegrationFilter.doFilter(HttpSessionContextIntegrationFilter.java:249)
                                 org.acegisecurity.util.FilterChainProxy.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:149)
                                 org.acegisecurity.util.FilterToBeanProxy.doFilter(FilterToBeanProxy.java:98)
                                 com.jivesoftware.community.web.filter.ApplicationStateFilter.doFilter(ApplicationStateFilter.java:112)
                                 com.jivesoftware.community.aaa.SecurityHolderCorruptionCheckFilter.doFilter(SecurityHolderCorruptionCheckFilter.java:29)

I'm getting ready to try another JRE to see if that is my problem.  Do you have any suggestions?

Chad

Hi Chad,

Based on the error, you can try increasing the amount of memory available to Clearspace.

For our recommended memory configuration, take a look at our Recommended Environments doc.

In your case, try putting the following in your <tomcat install dir>\bin\startup.bat file (anywhere before the line that says call "%EXECUTABLE%" start):

set JAVA_OPTS=-Xms512m -Xmx1024m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m

- Seth -

Beau Gordon

Seth,

The thing that is causing me some concern is that I'm having this problem using the exact same configuration which has worked just fine for 1.x versions of Clearspace.  Usually with 1.x, restarting Tomcat spikes the CPU for 10-15 seconds.  No problem.  With 2.0, that spike is lasting for >30 minutes for me.  In my case, it looks like once it gets through that spike, it works properly.  I am using a VM, but I have the same Java memory configuration that you recommended.

Maybe this is a Windows+Tomcat thing, as that seems to be the commonality between the people on this thread.

Beau

Hi Beau,

How much memory do you have allocated to Tomcat (and to your VM)?

Can you try running Clearspace outside of your VM and see what your performance is like?

- Seth -

Beau Gordon

My VM has 1.5 GB on a P4 3.0 Ghz machine.  No other VMs are running.

My java options are set at 512 min/1024 max heap and 256 for the permsize, same as your recommendations.

I don't think this is a memory issue.  Tomcat is using 182 MB right now and my DB is empty.  I never get to the point where I am paging memory.  It's just the CPU.   It acts like there is something that it gets stuck on while Tomcat is starting up.

I appreciate your help so far, but I feel you need to address the reason why there is such a big difference between 1.x and 2.0.  I'm seeing a 12000% increase in startup time between the two versions using the exact same Java and Tomcat settings.  That seems like a red flag that should be investigated.

If you're not using Web Services, you might try disabling them. That should improve startup time somewhat. You can do this by setting -Djive.ws.disabled=true in your JVM options.

I can understand the inconvenience of having longer startup times (especially when you're doing migration and testing out settings), but under normal use cases I wouldn't expect you to have to start Clearspace that often.

- Seth -

Hi Beau,

I've been doing a bit of research on this, and adding the -server JVM option has significantly improved startup performance. In some of the tests that I ran, adding -server reduced the startup time by a factor of 4.

Setting: -XX:UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:UseParNewGC may help runtime performance as well.

- Seth -

casadyc

Thanks for the research Seth!

Beau, the syntax for the JVM options below might be a little different depending upon your JRE and Tomcat version.  For me, the syntax is "-XX:UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:UseParNewGC" with a plus sign.

Also, I found an article about configuring JVM options for Tomcat here (section 3.2):

http://www.chemaxon.com/jchem/doc/admin/tomcat.html.

The author states that "One should not specify the '-server' or '-client' JVM option," because the server .dll is placed under the 'server' directory in the JRE directory.  After looking at my setup, I saw that Tomcat is using the jvm.dll file from the "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\client\jvm.dll" folder, and I don't have a "server" folder.  When I tried to use the "-server" option, Tomcat wouldn't start at all.  So I'm thinking I've got some configuratin' to do.

I'm going to have to do more research to see if I've got the wrong JVM setup and if changing that makes a difference.

Chad

casadyc

Wow!  Clearspace 2.0 is a memory hog!  I was previously running Clearspace 1.10 on a slimmed down Windows 2003 VM with basically nothing but Tomcat/Clearspace and 256MB of RAM.  Memory rarely peaked over 200MB, and the CPU averaged a comfortable 5-10%.  With the new version, I had to change my VM to 1GB RAM just to get it to be usable, and the CPU still consistantly jumps to 50% and higher for regular page requests.

I love the app, but in my opinion, the increase in the hardware requirements should be proportional to the increase in features.  It almost makes me want to start comparing Clearspace's hardware requirements to a certain collaboration tool made by our friends in Redmond!

Chad

Hi Chad,

I have a Clearspace 2.0 installation that idles at around 150 MB, and a 1.10.5 install that idles around 100MB. These are both test installs without much data in them, so those numbers are probably good estimates of the minimum memory requirements.

If you're running Clearspace in a virtual machine, you are definitely going to benefit from more memory. Remember that if a Windows virtual machine has low memory, it's going to start paging memory out just like a real Windows machine will (swap memory on virtual machines is a real performance killer).

If your (physical) server supports it, you should enable VM hardware acceleration (in the BIOS). That will usually give you a 10-20% performance boost. Also, if you have your database server on the same VM (or on a VM at all), you should move that to a real server as well.

That "certain collaboration from Redmond" lists a 2.5 GHz processor with 1GB of RAM as for it's minimums, by the way

- Seth -

casadyc

Here it is in a nutshell.

The virtual machine that I had set up ran Clearspace 1.10 perfectly prior to my upgrade to Clearspace 2.0, and with only 256MB of RAM system RAM it rarely went over 200MB.  The only difference between then and now, is that I upgraded to Clearspace 2.0, and now the memory requirements are far higher than before.

I expect an increase in the amount of memory required for a full version upgrade, but this seems far more than the norm.

Yep - same here. Except, that the CPU nevers settles down (left Tomcat running for at least 30 minutes before I killed the java.exe in the task manager). My experience with the 1.x versions was that a launch would cause a CPU spike that would settle down after a few minutes. This version never gives up its impact on the processing environment.

BTW: I boosted the Tomcat memory settings per the above suggestion: set JAVA_OPTS=-Xms512m -Xmx1024m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m

The box I am using for Clearspace is running Windows Server 2003, Celeron processor, 4gb RAM. The server also runs Openfire and MS WSUS.

casadyc

That was the same scenario for me until I boosted the memory on my VM.  It's running fine now, but I was really wanting a much smaller footprint.

Chad

I'm not that technically inclined - nor, do I know much about Java and VM's. Should I boost the memory using the following spec:

JAVA_OPTS=-Xms512m -Xmx1024m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m

If so, what do you recommend setting it to? 

Clearspace is not working now. I am considering going back to 1.10.5. That at least worked.

thanks!

casadyc

Once I boosted the amount of hardware RAM available to the server to 1GB (via virtualization), and added the JVM options of "-XX:MaxPermSize=512m -Xms512m -Xmx1024m" to Tomcat, my Clearspace implementation was able to run happily.  When Tomcat started, it still pegged the processor at 100%, but it recovered after a few minutes (literally about 4-5 minutes) instead of just staying at 100% forever.

Once you can get past the time it takes to do the initial load of Clearspace into the JVM, it's smooth sailing.  The web site will take a few moments to load when you first hit it from your browser, but once the application is cached it will become snappy again.

It sounds like you have plenty of hardware to run Clearspace -- although I'm wondering how you ended up with a Celeron processor running a server??  Even though you have 4GB of RAM, you have a Celeron processor, so in this case, I would give Tomcat a good 15 minutes to attempt to load the JVM before you give up on it.

Chad

weilis

I actually got the samething with Clearspace 2.0.1 with JDK1.6 and Tomcat 6 on my Windows XP. My computer will hang for 50-60 minutes before everything is working. I had set memory vmargs and nothing helps. And then I tried on my Linux box and it started a lot faster while still takes about 15 minutes. However, with the same settings, it actaully started pretty fast on my Vista box. And the major difference is that the Vista is on a dual core processor and it seems that some libraries that clearspace 2.0.1 relies on has been configured to do heavy threading. If it's always like this, it will take too much time to debug things.

Hello,

Can you (and anyone else who's experiencing this issue) take a few thread dumps while Clearspace is starting and attach them to a reply? Anything more than a few minutes to start up Clearspace is too long (unless you have really slow hardware or are running in a virtual machine). 

Did you set the -server option? That makes a tremendous difference in startup time with Java 1.6.

Regards,

Seth

weilis

Hi Seth,

Here is my system information:

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.2GHz

2.00GB of RAM

With the JVM -vmargs -server -Xms256m -Xmx512m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m -XX:UseParNewGC -XX:UseConcMarkSweepGC -Djive.ws.disabled=true

With the exact same server config, the 2.0.1 took about 41 minutes to start comparing to 48 seconds for 1.10.6. The 2.0.1's startup takes all CPU resources and I could do nothing during the time while 1.10.6 never does that.

Please refer to attached logs.

weilis

And this is the log on Vista, with pretty much the same jvm setting the full load only took 44 seconds. However, you can see that there is a period, the both processors are on 100% usage.

The server I use for Clearspace: Windows 2003 Server, Intel Celeron 2.53Ghz, 4GB RAM. Clearspace shares processing resources with Jive Software Openfire and Microsft WSUS. The server is also a domain controller backup.

I have been running Clarspace successfully for about one year. I have 1.10.5 running currently.

Startup.bat

SET JAVA_OPTS=-Xms512m -Xmx1024m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -Djava.awt.headless=true -DjiveHome="%~dp0jiveHome"

For me, Clearspace 2 and 2.01 would peg the CPU at 100% and would never settle down until I stopped the Java.exe in the Task Manager. Based on other's experience, I started 2.01 up and waited over an hour for it to settle down. It never would release the CPU.

I see a bunch of Clearspace server logs but I'm not sure which would be relevant for your research. Please advise.

The best information that can help us troubleshoot are thread dumps during the time when Clearspace is running at 100% CPU. Take 3 or 4 thread dumps a few seconds apart.

In the default install of Tomcat, you can take thread dumps by right clicking on the tomcat manager and picking "Thread Dump"

Thread dump.png

You can also use a tool such as StackTrace to take a thread dump (the web start version is free to use).

Jess Evans

Has  this been fixed yet?  It's taking 8 minutes of CPU time to load CSX on a Core 2 Duo.  I'm using CSX 2.0.1 Standalone (w/ db upgraded from 1.x).  I've attached the catalina output with core dumps at 2 minutes and 5 minutes.  It seems that it spends all that time initializing spring beans.  It seems suspicious to me that one stack trace is on a CNF exception, but maybe that's just a coincidence. 

I'm also getting around 14k NPEs per second to the jive.error log of the oh-so unhelpful form:

2008.05.14 19:15:45 run
                                                                      java.lang.NullPointerException

There's also some class called "PhoneHomeTask" that fails.  I assume by the name it's some sort of license spy ware.  Those sorts of things always seem bug prone, so that's a likely candidate as well.

It strikes me that there's probably some minor configuration issue that's causing the problem.  I've attached the files.

Hello,

Can you post your JVM settings too?

We are still working on it. A large number of performance improvements have already been made in our internal build of 2.1. I will take a look at your logs tomorrow and see what I can find.

The "PhoneHomeTask" runs to collect general system information (app server, JVM version, operating system, etc.) and send back to our database. It is optional (it is configured during setup), and the information being sent back is being used to help us target our customer's server environments better.

Thanks!

- Seth -

Jess Evans

I'm running on a virtual instance of FC, kernel:

2.6.18-1.2798.fc6xen

Here's the JRE that I'm using:

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_03-b05)
                                                                              Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.6.0_03-b05, mixed mode, sharing)

Here are the JVM argument that I used for that run.  I was just playing around with PermSpace to ensure there was enough room in the permanent generation and the JVM wasn't somehow wasting cycles loading and unloading classes.

-XX:PermSize=128m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m -Xms128m -Xmx512m -server -Djava.awt.headless=true -DjiveHome=$/jiveHome

My case doesn't strike me as a performance issue so much as a bug in error handling somewhere resulting in the thrashing...probably due to some assumed but missing configuration.

Eric Searcy

What is the current status of this problem? I just upgraded to 2.0.2 this weekend and have experienced both the excrutaitingly long startup times and the out of memory errors using the default java options. I increased the java memory settings a bit (though not as much as in some of the examples) and it seems to have helped, but only time will tell if it helped enough since I didn't see the out of memory problem until ther server had been running for more than a day. Startup is still unacceptably long though. I understand that clearspace will not need to be stopped or started often in the normal run of things, but this really feels excessive. If it can't actually be improved (which I doubt) I'd like to at least have a reasonable explanation for it.

Ryan Rutan

In a different environment, we are also experiencing slowness during startup; however, with a different environment.  Oddly enough, on a Core2 Duo running XP using a standalone version of OC4J 10.1.3.3.0, upgraded DB from 1.x...the system loads relatively fast (I hate to admit); however, on my Linux box Core2 Duo +2GB as well, not a VM image, the system is rendered useless.

Similarily, on our enterprise boxes running VM for Dev instances running Redhat 4....we are seeing a slow boot-time...runtime it is fine; however, the slow boot has many people concerned; especially me....in fact it's just recently gotten to the point where we've been able to predict/understand the behavior to not treat it as a runaway CPU problem...

If there is any headway on this, please keep this thread going...this is the largest concern I have with a Clearspace 2.0.x upgrade from 1.9.0.

Environments

Windows XP - Core2 Duo - Java5.0.12 - 2GB - OC4J Standalone 10.1.3.3.0

Boots in less than 40 secs easy...quite fast

Fedora Core 4 - Core2 Duo - Java5.0.12 - 2GB - OAS 10g 10.1.3.3.0

Stalls midway through the WS init (we need them, so we cant disable the WS)

Redhat Enterprise 4 (VM) - Virtual CPUs (4+) - Java5.0.12 - 4GB - OAS 10g 10.1.3.3.0

Boots in about 5-10 minutes...seems to always complete, but had to jack up the timeout threshold for Oracle so it didn't think the process failed.

We did a quick Memory check, and it seems as though Spring was chewing up a bunch of CPU time (makes sense)....but other than that...didn't see anything else that stood out...will continue to look into the matter....but would really like to see if this can be solved / identified by Jive/Community.  If anyone needs any more information/details, please let me know.

sgaddam

Hello,

I still see the same issue on clearspace community 2.5.2. it's brand new installation with clean database. It just hangs after restart on completion of setup process.  Waited for 30-40 minutes, it never came up and uses the ~100% CPU.

Jdk: 1.6.0_07

Tomcat: 6.0.18

DB:mysql 5.0.51b

Windows XP.

JVM paramters: MS and MX set to 512 & 1024 M respectively.

-XX:MaxPermSize=384M
                                                                          -XX:SurvivorRatio=3
                                                                          -XX:MaxNewSize=128M
                                                                          -XX:NewSize=128M

Any suggestions/solutions?

Thank you,

-Sreeni.