7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 30, 2013 6:51 AM by Belinda Benton RSS

Chat Rooms and Jive?

Nikhil Nulkar

Are there Jive Customers who use/used IRC (or other equivalents) now/before alongside Jive?

Have you ever considered what happens if users end up having discussions/knowledge that share in there, rather than on your internal Jive instance?

OTOH are there ways people have integrated (thought of integrating) chat options (IM or chat rooms) with their core internal platform? Have anyone explored these options for their community - any pros and cons?

Would love to hear from people/customers here.

• Re: Chat Rooms and Jive?
          Nikhil Nulkar

Any comments anyone?

cc Ryan Rutan Olivia Teich

Olivia Teich

Hi Nihkil. If you search this community, I believe you'll find some other discussions around this. I'm only familiar with one customer who's actually done an integration (into a widget, for live time-based event chats) but that was quite some time ago. More and more is possible on the platform through the Apps framework in Jive 5 and coming in Jive 6.

Nikhil Nulkar

Thanks Olivia! Apps might be an interesting approach. However it would be great to understand if and how we can use the existing behaviors & apps that people already use and have them integrated within Jive. For instance we are on google apps stack internally and almost everyone uses gtalk for IM. Considering we are a developer-centric company we have used various chat clients in the past including the IRC chat rooms. It would be awesome to see how people can continue using this, but still have them archived (for the lack of better word) on Jive that way generic public conversations can be available for future use.

There is similar interest I have with email too and I had posted a status update in JC here yesterday, about this new email app called Fluent. If you haven't seen it yet, you may want to take a look at it. It would be brilliant if we can get that kind of experience for our emails within our jive activity stream. Of course that would be mean emails & that app would need to open to have us pull that into our activity stream but would be an exciting opportunity considering most of us (all Jive customers) are heavy users of email.

Milos Krocian

It would be interesting also for us. Any ideas how to chat inside Jive?

Belinda Benton

Integrated chat is definitely a feature we're looking for. I know Jabber can integrate but native chat and other communication functionality would be perfect. I've heard various things are planned since Jive bought meetings.io, am sure there will be more details to come.