13 Replies Latest reply: Aug 8, 2012 11:25 AM by Melissa Rosen RSS

Why did you "LIKE" that piece of content you read?

Gino Rossi

One of the metrics we were able to track in 2011 from our internal community was the number of "LIKES" that were recorded thru the entire year.

I didn't place too much attention to this metric because of how young our community is, but I wanted to know exactly why our community members were clicking the "LIKE" button.

In order to fully understand what our members intentions were when they clicked the "LIKE" button we decided to run a poll to ask some basic questions:

poll.jpg

The results of the poll were very interesting & encouraging.  However, the question does remain .. can the "LIKES" be treated as an accurate key performance indicator?

Not sure I am able to answer that question, but I can see a trend on the popularity on some of our community members content & the "LIKES" that they have gotten.

The infographic below tries to explain my findings, but I'm curious to read your thoughts on this topic.  Enjoy.

infoGraph_Likes.png

• Re: Why did you "LIKE" that piece of content you read?
          Kevin Crossman

I clicked the Like button on this post because I thought it was really interesting and appreciated you sharing it.

JohnSchwiller

Tempted to say "Don't Know" but I'm a sucker for your great Infographics, and this one is no different

Frank Gebhardt

unstoppable - hey!

Great work Gino!

(and I clicked on the tag "likes" to like it - doh!)

Ryan Rutan

I like puppies! ... and the infographic...I guess =)

sahana

Beautiful infographic. We have been discussing the use of Infographics in our community as well to make info easy to digest.

Just pondering about the question, which is very valid: Can the "LIKES" be treated as an accurate key performance indicator?

As a community manager, I have thought about this quite often. The way I see it at this point (our community is also not too old, still nascent I suppose) is that a Like indicates a) someone read/skimmed/scanned the content, b) liked something about it and c) found it worthwhile to take a second to click on the Like tab. The fact that the Like is also visible to the individual's social group means s/he doesn't mind being associated with the content.

mdcrocker

I liked this because you have all the key elements that you indicated: useful, graphic, well written.  I think a new community I think that a new community is the place to get Likes going faster.  Using the poll, reminding folks of the function, and engaging people can get the new behavior going.  I also think that the folks who are already familiar and using Likes out in the world will adopt this faster.

I wonder if Likes factor in the Trending, popular, and recommendations? Ryan Rutan

Mike

Edward Ford

I think "Likes" are a good measure of the types of content that people are engaging with and that they find helpful. We have Top Liked Content as a widget on our homepage. It tracks likes for the previous 7 days to surface trending content.

I think that counting the sheer volume of likes is helpful. I was just thinking about whether a ratio of likes to views, perhaps in a time-defined space (say the first week that content was posted) could provide additional insight into the utility and perceived quality of content. It would also put content that has broader appeal on par with more niche posts. It could be a cool added metric.

Great infographic!

Melissa Rosen

Hi gino, thanks so much for sharing this!! I'd be curious to know how you and others differentiate between likes and ratings. I get this question sometimes, and honestly, I'm not sure they are too different, other than Likes gives you a "yes/no" kind of answer (either it was liked or it wasn't), while ratings give a scale of 1 - 5 stars. Otherwise, i'm not sure how to direct my users on which one is better to use.

Andrew Kratz

Likes are easy and a positive force.

Ratings never seem to get as much traction in terms of use.  Maybe because unlike an Amazon rating you are not giving insight into a faceless product but rather someone's work..someone you work with.  Are you really going to give the document or video they worked on all week a 1, ouch?   For those that do leverage these internally it is usually to say how much they love something with the max number of stars.  If ratings are going to be so binary just use a like?

quick story...

I remember when we were doing a social Intranet RFP and selected Jive a competeting company said the only reason they implemented ratings was because it kept showing up as part of knock-out criteria for RFPs.  They said, your users won't ever really use this, but everyone thinks it is a must have feature.  I think they were on to something there.

Gino Rossi

Hi Melissa Rosen .. Andrew Kratz is absolutely correct.

Ratings are hardly used in my community, likes are by far more popular & simpler to interact with.  You either like the post or you don't.

In my queries I came up with extremely few ratings .. so little that it was not worth running any reports against.  Likes were much more popular & after doing this Infographic, they became even more popular.

Gino

Nikki Bussard

We're turning rating off for everything but documents. Every time people have to make a choice, you interrupt a potential interaction with the system. If I have to decide to rate something versus like something, I may just decide to do nothing. As a content contributor, I am not very much informed by the ratings, because I don't know what criteria people are using when they rate. Also, if I have 7 likes, and an average rating of 4, what does that mean? If someone liked my blog post and then also rated it 4 stars, what does that mean? Nothing that is useful, as near as I can tell. So, let them just use Like.

We are leaving it on for documents, because we have a number of repositories where we are sharing templates, re-uable examples, processes, etc. We really do need 1-5 rating feedback on these documents in order to figure out which ones people like best and help guide them to the good stuff. Generally speaking, these are not so much a comment on the author but on how well the content helped them do their jobs, so hopefully the rating will be less of a personal judgement.