9 Replies Latest reply: Feb 24, 2012 8:29 AM by rbickel RSS

a file with the same name already exists, would you like to overwrite it?

NCam

Is there a way to not allow the office connector to OVERWRITE a jive file, it removes versioning and comments? there should be some kind of fail safe. also if this does happen how do we recover our old versions/file

thanks

ni
      Capture.JPG

• Re: a file with the same name already exists, would you like to overwrite it?
          tim

I am running into this too.  It wiped out all history on the file I was editing.

This needs to be fixed quickly.

(Edit) I did find a work around.  Save the document to your local hard drive as a copy.  Close the document and re-open it using Jive.  Open the copy and copy/paste the changes.  Then publish via Jive.

NCam

thanks tim,

what we found was, if someone wants to do a "save as" then they MUST upload using the jive web portal and not the office connector. i guess i am just a little concerned that we have not heard from any Jiver's. did i put this post in the wrong spot?

Hey All,

This override behavior is by design. It's only supposed to appear when you press the "Publish As" button in Office. If the document you have opened is connected to the Jive server (i.e. the document dashboard appears and the correct details are specified in it), pressing the Publish button should preform a regular save that will not override the document. If the override dialog message appears when you press the regular Publish button this is not the expected behavior, and in that case I would like to collect some more data.

In any case, I see the issues you raised with a complete override of the file, and I am raising the discussion of whether we should do a regular update in all cases in next version internally.

Thanks!

tim

Hi Re'em,

The easiest way to reproduce the problem is to click "Publish As" and then cancel.  As you state, the behavior is as designed... perhaps the design needs a little tweak.  :-)

Unless I actually click OK on that dialogue I expect the document's state to stay the same.  Just like "File-Save As" does not change the file name until I click 'OK', the identity of the Jive document should not change until I click "OK" to publish as a different document.

Also, "Publish" acts two ways... if I have already published then it immediately sends up to the Jive server without asking me anything... and I don't see any indication something is happening until Jive has finished.  This can be disconcerting.  I would rather see something to indicate what Jive is doing.  A "Publishing..." status.

I really like the plug in.  Just a few tweaks left!

Cheers,

Tim

NCam

hi Re'em

the plug in is great and one of the reasons we chose Jive! as you mentioned this overwriting is by design, I think that is ok. But what may be helpful is to let the person know that when they overwrite the file, they will also be removing all of the old versions and comments. It makes sense to me the way you explained the process, the thing is mosyt folks may not. they only know what they know and what i mean buy that is, they think the wrd file is what they are replacing, not all the great things that jive does in the background

cheers

rbickel

Yep, I agree with Nick Cameron. I work with him and have been looking into this issue as well. I think 2 things would be most helpful:

(1) As Nick said, a little more descriptive information as to what overwriting is when you are about to do it - it is NOT simply creating a new version, which is what people might think if they aren't really thinking about things.

(2) As Re'em said, a back-up version of the document that would simply need to be restored by a super-admin if it is lost. At this point, we are still unclear as to what we would have to do to get that document back if we needed to.