12 Replies Latest reply: May 10, 2013 7:20 AM by GinaB RSS

Automatic email signature type info that gets added to your post?

mdcrocker

One of our external community champions posed the question about info that automatically gets added with a post, such as the email signatures.  Anyone else thought about this?  Anyone submitted and idea or have a customization?

Thanks

Mike

• Re: Automatic email signature type info that gets added to your post?
          JasonLax

Do you mean the automatic eMail notifications or something that would be added to a post automatically? If it's eMail notifications, you can manage the templates used. See Editing Email Notification Templates.

nikhilnulkar

Mike - If I understand you right, you are referring to the email signature that gets automatically added to a message when replied via email. We have noticed that with a few posts in our internal community too. Not too sure if there is way to manage that - since the way Jive talks with email is that it truncates everything after a line such as "On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 8:09 AM, Username <user@companyname.com> wrote:" and in most cases the responders email signature is before that line and hence gets populated with his/her reply on the community.

From what I understand, there don't seem to be a easy fix for this. Would love to hear from others if they have noticed this and have a solution.

mdcrocker

I was looking at a way to add a tag line of set of links at the bottom of all the emails as a way to promote the community.  There are some email templates, so for those specific types, we can modify the html.  Our community is mostly questions and replies.  I did not see a discussion or reply template that we could modify.  This would also be a great place to add a tip or "ad" to increase awareness.

Mike

GinaB

HI,

did you ever hear from anyone about this?  I'm having the same problem in my external community.  It seems like peole are replying to status updates or disussions in the community, adn their full email signature - that ususally contains all their personal contact info - is appearing in the community.  Clearly this is a huge problem, as we are inadvertently publishing our client's contact info in a public forum.  Need this to stop right away, and would appreciate any advice.  We had the same challenge with OOO messages and were able to fix that, howeer, not sure which system property to edit and how.  Corey Mathews James Ungerer or Michelle Gantt, any ideas?

mnevill

I think this is a common problem.  We manage it today with SMEs catching them as they come in, but that does not scale well.  I am fairly certain if the users add so many hyphens in a row (I think 3 is the magic number) before their e-mail signature Jive will parse that and omit anything past the hyphens.  For example a signature could be setup like this:

----

Thanks,

Name

Title

Company

Address

Phone Number

Social Security Number

Bank Account Number

Anything past the hyphens would not make it in the thread, but everything before it does.  Unfortunately the big problem with this is no one sets up their signatures that way.  Especially with external communities, you have no control or even a good proactive way to inform users about this caveat. You can put it in your Help section material but from my experience barely anyone ever reads it.  For now we edit the posts we find them in, add the line "edited by <username> - removed personal contact information", and then follow up with the user via DM to let them know we removed it to protect their privacy.  Again, this is a lot of manual work.  If anyone has a better way to deal with this, I'm all ears.

GinaB

You’re right, getting external users to change their signatures would be almost impossible…

Manual removal is certainly not the ideal, as it would be possible to miss posts that have signatures.  But, that’s what I’ve been doing.  I learned today, however, that you can’t edit a status update, so if someone replies to a status update via email, the signature appears in the message and the only option is to delete it, which is also not great.  I’ve opened a support case, as this is something that needs to be addressed as it violates our privacy policy.

mnevill

Please keep us posted with the result in case you are able to come up with something. 

GinaB

Hi,

there really isn't a resolution beyond asking users to change their signatures, which isn't a feasible option in an external community.

Here's the response from support.  Additionally, there is no way for an admin to edit a status update, so if someone replies to a status update from email and their signature appears, the only option you have is to delete it. 

Additionally, the ability to filter out email signatures is a known limitation of the system. I've filed an improvement request (JIVE-30089) to see if there is a way we could make this a bit more powerful. The code looks for a couple things to key off of, such as a string of five consecutive underscores or dashes in a row, and drops the rest of the message if it finds it. Since the signatures above don't match, they are getting posted. There isn't a way to prevent this, other than self policing your instance sadly. I would also try educating your users to either drop their signature when they are creating by email, or to alter their signature so that it starts with the dashes or underscores.

nikhilnulkar

Sorry for the delay, Gina Bowen. Haven't heard much from anyone!