8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 22, 2012 10:49 AM by pravin jaiswal RSS

Usage of Jive Software

pravin jaiswal

Hi Jive Developers Team,

We have installed jive 5.0 on CentOS Environment. we can design the page using widgets and plugins.

Please help us on configuring the development environment to extend our customizations using Jive application.

- What are the steps to be followed for developing customizations using jive?

- To build applications, which tool need to use Ant or Maven?

- How to integrate jave code to do customizations using jive as we don't have source code with us. Do we get any link from jive team?

(one of jive member said jive don't provide source code).

- What is Maven repository? we don't have rights to get access for Maven.

- Provide Steps for Maven configuration. I have tried to configure as per the documents available in Jive documents link.

When i execute the below mentioned command,

mvn archetype:create -e -DarchetypeGroupId=com.jivesoftware.maven -DarchetypeArtifactId=maven-jive-archetype -DarchetypeVersion=5.0.x-SNAPSHOT -DgroupId=com.jivesoftware.dummycustomer -DartifactId=dummyCustomerSite

maven related jar files get downloaded. Gave error at last moment - 

Downloaded: http://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2/org/codehaus/plexus/plexus-utils

/2.0.5/plexus-utils-2.0.5.jar (218 KB at 34.5 KB/sec)

[INFO] Installing C:\Maven\Repo to C:\Documents and Settings\incubation\.m2\repository\com\jivesoftware\maven\maven-jive-archetype\5.0.x-SNAPSHOT\maven-jive-archetype-5.0.x-SNAPSHOT.jar

[INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------

[INFO] BUILD FAILURE

[INFO] Total time: 54.687s

[INFO] Finished at: Wed Feb 22 11:51:30 GMT+05:30 2012

[INFO] Final Memory: 3M/254M

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-install-plugin:2.3.1:install-file (default-cli) on project standalone-pom: Error installing artifa

ct 'com.jivesoftware.maven:maven-jive-archetype:jar': Failed to install artifact com.jivesoftware.maven:maven-jive-archetype:jar:5.0.x-SNAPSHOT: C:\Maven\Repo (Access is denied) -> [Help 1][ERROR]

[ERROR] To see the full stack trace of the errors, re-run Maven with the -e switch.

[ERROR] Re-run Maven using the -X switch to enable full debug logging.[ERROR]

[ERROR] For more information about the errors and possible solutions, please read the following articles:

[ERROR] [Help 1] http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/MojoExecutionException

please find attached the error log and also settings.xml

Please suggest if anything is wrong configured.

• Re: Usage of Jive Software
          BanduLiyanage

Have you deployed Jive on a single server or multiple servers as Jive recommended? 

pravin jaiswal

We have installed version of Jive 5.0 on CentOS & deployed on Single server.

Maven configured on my local development machine. Please let me know how can we integrate our java code for customizations/extending the jive application.

Do we need to contact jive Team to get source code or directly import the jar file in eclipse. where the maven comes into picture. As per the jive community member, we won't get jive source code. then how we can extend the features of jive application. Sorry please help us on these confusion points working with jive.

Please help us where we are wrong as i am new to jive and maven to configure.

Ryan Rutan

Source code is distributed to customers via the Maven repositories, so you should be good to go there.   As for development, I'm not 100% sure what you are trying to do; however, in your previous post it sounded as if you are good to go with widget development etc..., which means you should be good to go from a "setup" perspective.  As for your specific use-cases and coding endeavors, I'm not sure how we can help (at a high-level at-least).

Not to sound like a broken record, and please do not take this as a pure upsell motive, however, I think you would greatly benefit from taking the Jive Back End Developer Training course offered by our Jive Training team.  If this doesn't answer all of your questions, it should bring you up to speed on how to ask a bit more targeted questions.  Given the results from previous customers, I would suspect the former.

Thoughts?

pravin jaiswal

Thank you Rutan,

I was bit confused while creating developing environment as we don't have source code and how to use maven to get jive related stuff.

One of Jive member said that jive won't provide source code and the configuration for the Jive Maven repository not in detailed in the available documents.

We will contact support team for Maven repository.

Thank you!! 

hberes

You have to request an account for the Jive Maven repository before you can run any of the Jive maven stuff.  Follow up with your Jive Tech Support.

pravin jaiswal

Thank you so much

till now i was in confusion as one community member said jive won't provide source code. then i have question what is the necessity of Maven repository.

Ofcourse i am new to jive as well to Maven too. I request you please help me too if you have any steps for doing configuration of Maven and creating development environment using eclipse and maven.

Need all of your help for further concerns to get sound on customizations using jive application.

Thank you!!

Ryan Rutan

Pravin, while I and all other developers in here will do what we can to help; however, that being said, there is a level of understanding that is needed for our help to be beneficial  Part of this understanding is the need to ask specific questions that can lead to specific answers.  One way to learn the platform to make this possible, is either by formal training (Jive Back End Developer Training) or via the documentation/references linked to on the Plugin Developer main page (not to mention conversations shared by other developers in the Developer space). 

All that being said, I'm sure we will do our best to assist, but out of courtesy to those offering their help, it would be appreciative if you leveraged these resources to make your future questions as specific as possible to achieve the best possible outcome.

In the end, the last thing I want is for this community to fail your expectations.  As such, trying to share the community's expectations back such that we can both be in a position for success.  Hope this helps. =)