2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 28, 2012 10:04 AM by Matt Richmond RSS

API to pull out custom profile fields from Jive

Sumeet Moghe

JIve allows us to create custom profile fields but we're struggling to find an API that allows us to pull out these custom fields. Are we missing an easy way to pull this information out

• Re: API to pull out custom profile fields from Jive
          Ryan Rutan

Pull out?  Assume you mean read?  If so, use the UserProfileManager in concert with ProfileFieldManager to read the userProfile (map of fieldID,ProfileFieldValue)

Hope this helps.  RR

• Re: API to pull out custom profile fields from Jive
              Matt Richmond

Hey Ryan:

I just found this thread.  I have a couple of questions.  I have a Jive partner that would like to use an HTML widget on the Home page to navigate a user to their "primary" group - which for this community would be a police department (Portland, Seattle, Baltimore, etc.) with one click.   See screenshot below:

home-page.jpg

They are going to store this primary group in a custom profile field.   So, my questions:

1)  Is this feasible (or even possible) within an HTML widget?  I know I'd first have to use one of the v2 or v3 of the APIs you mention above to pull this value from the profile field and then use that value to build a URL link.

2)  If #1 is possible, should the custom profile field be defined as the group name or ID?  I know that the APIs return JSON objects wherein the ID of the group isn't the same ID that shows up in the UI.

3)  Since this would only run when the user logged in, would I need to send the user credentials as part of the GET request?  Or would Jive already have that information available - could the script run using the credentials of the currently logged in user?

Thanks for any advice/guidance you can provide.

-Matt Richmond

Jive Software

Federal Sales Engineer