6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 23, 2012 10:44 AM by Curtis Gross RSS

Objection I received

Andres Mejia

Last week I had a meeting to discuss using our JIVE instance to support internal customer support.

The materials in this group were very helpful -Thank you!

One person raised the questions below. Does anyone have experience with these objections?

1. This is way to get around governance.

2. Answering questions officially can leave us legally responsible.

3. How do we remove/archive outdated answers?

4. Fool-proof way to keep sensitive data out of the system.

• Re: Objection I received
          Curtis Gross

Andres, I am in talks with some of our strategy team to see what the best answer is.  I will get them engaged on an answer!

Andres Mejia

Thank you!

I have been thinking about these objections.

I look forward to hearing from you!

The main sticky wickets are

# 1. Governance - we are in the middle of a huge push to create oversight on anything and everything published anywhere in our systems.

# 3. Automatically removing old answers. We could get in trouble if we don't keep up with regulations.

These two are less important.

# 2. Seems like it would be the same issue in our current eMail solution, albeit less potentially widespread.

# 4. Same issue we currently have in our community. It doesn't come up too often.

Gia Lyons

Hi there,

Here's what I've seen others customers do to address some of these concerns:

1. This is way to get around governance.

Not really. When you set up proper processes, and configure Jive to support them, you can satisfy stringent governance requirements. For example, set up a process in which known subject experts are required to spend 20% of their time reviewing answers given within the internal customer support Q&A areas, and unmarking/marking answers as needed. A more stringent approach is to enable moderation - no comment gets posted until a moderator approves it. Compare this with how people get answers today, via email. There's NO WAY for them to verify the veracity of answers this way, unless they KNOW who the SME is.

2. Answering questions officially can leave us legally responsible.

Two ways to address this. Implement #1 above, or, the more common approach is to stipulate in the Terms & Conditions of Use feature within Jive - which requires users to accept it - all the legal language necessary to indemnify the company. This places the onus to comply on the end user. Add to that traditional community management activities, such as working to correct any shared mis-information, reminding end users that the company is not legally responsible, that they shouldn't share confidential or other information that could place them or the company at legal risk.

Technologically, you can archive discussion threads. Programmatically, you need someone to routinely perform this clean-up. This is the job of the community manager, or if it's a small group, the group facilitator. I actually do this quarterly for the internal Jive Sales Community in my part-time capacity as the Sales Community Manager. Gotta weed the garden from time to time.

4. Fool-proof way to keep sensitive data out of the system.

Enable moderation.

The NUMBER ONE thing to repeatedly educate people on overall is:

Humans must be continually involved in governing a community if you want it to succeed.

mdcrocker

Great post Gia Lyons.  One thing to remember is training the people so they know the right things to do.  What do you have in place today with regards to email and phone calls?  We pointed out that using the community means that it is visible.   Who is monitoring the phones and the email?

Mike

Andres Mejia

This is great information Gia. This will help me to explain how we will have much better information accountability with a support community.  Thank you for your Support!

Curtis Gross

One thing I would add here:  You may not need to archive old answers, just because they are old does not mean they are incorrect or irrelevant. Since our search engine does allow you to sort results based on the time that the content was created, you can effectively 'hide' the older content by just adjusting the default search time-range.  An admin can adjust the defaults and make only the last year, 90 days or whatever time period of content show up, and users can refine the results from there.