6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2010 11:04 AM by CoraRodenbusch

How are you Reporting Adoption?

CoraRodenbusch

The bain of my Community Manager existence is our monthly adoption numbers. We have a report that tells us how many Jive users are coming from each region. Then I compare those numbers to what HR gives me.

The problem is that HR only reports employees, and not employees AND contractors so my numbers are always off. And each region's HR reports those numbers differently. Then there are all sorts of problems with me manually removing people when they leave the company and not to mention people who were hired in the US, but work elsewhere or vise versa. It ends up taking me 4 hours a month to get "accurate" numbers.

Are you doing the same thing? Should I just forget % adoption and go after our onboarding stats? How are you handling reporting?

Thanks,
      Cora

• Re: How are you Reporting Adoption?

Hi Cora,

You might find some direction about how other customers report adoption numbers in this thread: % of active users vs. total for internal community?

CoraRodenbusch

Thanks Gia - I think there are some things we can take away from that discussion (active vs contributing and the "no photo" contest, but I'm really looking for feedback on how to report % adoption per region. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

That makes sense. Did you add a field in your profiles that captures region for each employee (preferably a normalized list to choose from)? If so, you can create a custom report in Jive Analytics based on that field. If not, you might be able to capture this data via IP address using Web analytics tools, depending on the layout of your organization's network infrastructure.

CoraRodenbusch

Yes - Thank you Gia! We did, and we can easily capture region setting since we did that, however we have employees, contractors and vendors in our community selecting their region, but HR only gives us the employee numbers, not the contractors or vendors. So every month, I have to sort them out and I never feel like I have accurate numbers. I was just thinking that someone has bound to have figured this out.

Does our HR dept needs to change their reporting system? Or are people not worrying about splitting it up – contractors vs employees – and just report % change per month? Is anyone even reporting % adoption per region?

Kathryn

Hi Cora - the purpose of having that data is important for a couple of reasons.  If you are looking for executive support to improve adoption, it helps to go to the region with decent information about adoption in that region.  Also, you can more effectively target your "intervention" to improve adoption by focusing on use cases that are important to the region.  It gives you important clues sometimes.

Having said that - if it is a major pain, it is OK that the information is "approximate" rather than exact, given the difficulty you have getting the total population number by region.  Like everything else, it is a balancing act.  The fact that you are asking the question leads me to believe that the hassle is probably not worth the value you are getting.