5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2010 9:23 AM by dougmackay

How to restrict spaces from view?

dougmackay

Hi,

Our SBS instance supports all of our clients.  This would be both our internal employee space and a jumping-in point for clients/partners and vendors.

The structure of the spaces is something like this:

SBS

Space1

SubSpace1

SubSpace2

Space2

Space3

I'd like to setup a framework where "Client1" logs into SBS and ONLY see's "Space1", and not Space2 or Space3.

Furthermore, is it possible to have a SupSpace2 restricted from Client1 view?

Ideally I'd like to setup the user within a SBS-based group to allow for group policy management.

Please let me know.

• Re: How to restrict spaces from view?
          wallyrogers

Hi Doug,

We have the same type of community you do and we do this all of the time.  However the “Client” sees all spaces that are open to everyone that has a login.  If you restrict all spaces except the top level, you could achieve this.

We have several spaces and subspaces we want all to see and potentially participate in.

They are:

Site Support

Around the Water Cooler

Communities for All (and all the many subspaces underneath) –

This one is our horizontal space organization (meaning non-silos)  These are typically cross organization HR managers, trainers, IT staff, project managers, enterprise projects, information sharing across the organization, etc.

Our vertical space organization lists all of the departments. These are typically restricted to the department projects with their invitees and collaboration but some open them up too.

Once a space is created for a department, they own the knobs and dials on creating subspaces, who gets access, etc.

I hope that helps.

Wally

• Re: How to restrict spaces from view?

Hi,

Yes, you can create a group and set the permissions levels.  The system will only show people what they have access to see, so you can control access at any level.  Unless you have an automated way to identify them, managing them will be done manually.

Mike