9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2012 3:34 AM by ds232342

Enterprise Knowledge Mapping...

Hi all:

I've gotten multiple internal requests for something we informally call an "enterprise knowledge map".  The idea is we'd have a central repository of who knows what and who is working on what...so if I wanted to find out all the social networking experts within the company, I could just search for "social networking" and I can see that Tom, Dick, and Harry are the experts - and Harry is working on an SN project.   As a "phase 2" for this, we'd like to maybe include LinkedIn profiles so that we can capture past professional experience, etc...

First - am I using the right terminology for this, or is it really called something else.  Second, has anyone implemented anything like this using Jive and could you provide any hints/tips or examples?  It may be as simple as using the Profile page...but then again, maybe not.

Thanks for any help/guidance/advice you can give...

Jim

• Re: Enterprise Knowledge Mapping...
          trishaliu

Hello Jim -

I don't know if 'enterprise knowledge map' is the correct term or not, but I like it! It would be cool if it were an actual graphical map...

I think a great starting point would be a combination of:

1. Profile page
          2. Status updates

Both of these would require that each employee would need to complete the fields and keep them updated. Are folks currently very active with their profile pages and status updates?

Trisha

Thanks Trisha.  We’re just starting internal collaboration, so few if any employees have profiles set up, etc.  What I’d like to do is create the framework such that, when people start using Jive more, this “who does what/knows what/is working on what” thingy will be very easy for them to make use of.

Like your ideas on using the profile page/status updates as a jumping off point – I’ll go that direction.  Thanks for the tips!

Jim

Thanks Trisha.  We’re just starting internal collaboration, so few if any employees have profiles set up, etc.  What I’d like to do is create the framework such that, when people start using Jive more, this “who does what/knows what/is working on what” thingy will be very easy for them to make use of.

Like your ideas on using the profile page/status updates as a jumping off point – I’ll go that direction.  Thanks for the tips!

Jim

trishaliu

Now here is a killer app! It is for LinkedIn: http://inmaps.linkedinlabs.com/

Thank you to Greg L. and others on Twitter for surfacing this.

Trisha

We use MindManager from Mindjet.com to build maps. We upload the mindmaps or topic maps as Adobe flash files that can be used to navigate the Jive group site. Also have a look at Interlock Research and Interlock Diagrams at this URL http://www.claverton-energy.com/energy-experts-online/interlock-research  Mindmanager also allows maps to perform project managment planning to ingegrate resources.

Hi Jim, WS,

I notice that Mindjet have a plugin for MS Sharepoint, that allows users to create maps and then link the nodes to the Sharepoint resources. This way, it seems you can voluntarily create visual structure, hierarchy and links to Sharepoint resources. Given the overlap between Jive and Sharepoint, it would seem a natural fit for Jive to have its own functionality for this.

Actually, I'm looking for this functionality in a different way. I've been brainstorming a new project - I've put Tasks, Milestones, etc. into Jive. However, the actual brainstorming mind map, I can't create within Jive - documents are too flat and unwieldy - so I'm using Mindjet Connect for that part. It would be really nice to be able to stay within Jive for the entire project process, by their having a mindmap tool.

RyanSe

Hey Jim,

We have a similar thing set up on our internal community. We created a basic taxonomy using the "tag" field on the profiles page to manage. So far it seems to be working fairly well. It also allows for quick filtering of users based on those tags.

This sounds like what we need, Ryan!  Two questions:

• Would you be willing to share some/all of your taxonomy?  I'm sure our businesses are different but it'd be interesting to see the level to which you went to make it effective
                              • Would you be available for a call sometime to discuss?  I'm not sure of the groundrules for reaching someone outside the discussion group - feel free to "friend" me on Jive, or email me at jim (dot) jones (at) windriver (dot) com

Thanks!

RyanSe

Sure.

Here is a highlevel of the taxonomy. The basic context of the "system" is that since we support a variety of products and services we needed a standardized way for our frontline support teams to identify specific individuals in case additional contact is needed. Across a few hundred products/services, with people joining and leaving, it can be difficult to keep track of who does what. It is fairly basic but meets our needs.

I am going to use operating systems (not core to my business but the analogy applies) since it is a fairly universal concept. Our three key variables are:

• Product/Service - Examples being: Windows, Linux, Unix, OSX, etc
                                  • Role: Moderator/Analyst/Writer/Editor/Owner/Manager
                                  • Department: HR/Product Development/Finance/Customer Care/etc

So if I wanted to find the manager of the team in product development responsible for our linux work I would do a search for "manager product development linux" and since that person has those specific words in their tag their name would pop up in the People section of the search results page.

This approach leverages the search algorithm's assumption of "AND" to quickly constrain the results to only folks that match those areas. If no results turn up, you can always just remove a word here or there to find someone. In the above example, if no result returned, you could remove "manager" to find anyone in PD that deals with linux with the hope of making a connection.

The only caveat is that it requires users to make the updates to their tags but the carrot of being able to quickly find peers has been a sufficient enough motivator for our support teams to adopt.