2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2011 12:31 PM by jbrown Branched from an earlier case.

Hundreds of views, zero replies

DGarber

I noticed one one of the sites (I won't mention the company name) there are some discussions that have hundreds if not thousands of "views" and 0 as in zero, none, nada replies.  This seems like a not-so-good scenario.  What would account for that?

• Re: Welcome to the External Community Managers group!
          daniel.marotta

DGarber wrote:

I noticed one one of the sites (I won't mention the company name) there are some discussions that have hundreds if not thousands of "views" and 0 as in zero, none, nada replies.  This seems like a not-so-good scenario.  What would account for that?

Hi DGarber,

Could it be a great eye-catching title but terrible copy? Or some external linking that drives traffic to the thread and then the problem of the terrible copy again?

-Dan

• Re: Welcome to the External Community Managers group!
            jbrown

Here are a few reasons I can think of that a discussion gets reviewed but receives no replies. I'm sure others can add to this list:

1. The question/topic is catchy or intriguing. All communities have lurkers who are learning by reading, but especially in the beginning they are just not ready to reply with additional information. 
            2. The discussion is not framed as a question thus the author is sharing information but not really inviting anyone to respond.
            3. The opening question is answered by the author within the original post so no one feels the need to respond.
            4. Designing good discussion questions is an art!  Soliciting others to respond is important.  Sometimes you even have to seed a discussion to get it going.

I am sure there are many more reasons discussions never receive replies.  Consider your audience.  Think about the design of the starter question. Remember to invite them to reply.