10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2011 4:23 PM by disaacs

Responding to Naysayers

Here is a discussion starter for our group. I got the following note from one of the people selected as a participant for our pilot.  I have a couple of answers to my discussion question (I will share them later) but I am interested in how the rest of you would or would not respond.  Here is the note........

START MESSAGE

"When I first got the email saying I was to be a pilot for social media here at <XXXXXX> my first thought was "Who, me?" I said to myself, "I am the last person they want helping them do something that I find a complete waste of time. But after thinking about it a bit I came to realize I was the perfect person for the job as I will pick it apart. And the first few things I tried were broken on the Jive website. Then I looked deeper at the Flightdeck <our social media site> site and found misspellings and other errors. So now I see "Why, Me!" "

END MESSAGE

It would be interesting to know who recommended him for the pilot.  Out of 20,000+ people....how was he selected?  Possibly this individual's manager doesn't suppor the social media intiative, so he sent his most critical employee.  I'm interested in hearing from the rest of you...........

• Re: Responding to Naysayers
          Mlavoie

I would reply:

"That is exactly why we chose you!  We knew that you would give us the most critical assessment of this pilot project, and that is what we need to ensure its success.  Thank you for the time you took to point out errors, we will fix those immediately and hope that you will come to learn the benefits of collaboration."

Period.

crossman

Well, at the very least you've gotten some good feedback that you probably needed.

It's a little hard to respond without knowing how your pilot was rolled out. But, I am assuming that it is being rolled out to solve a problem or to provide specific features that your business is asking for. You should, I would assume, be able to point this user to something that says "here's why we're doing this."

Are those things actually broken? Or is the user not understanding how  to use the product?  You should be able to address either scenario,  since I assume this rolled out with at least some self-help or training material, right?

I'd also assume that your pilot had a set list of pilot users who were invited. You should know who those folks are. The fact that this user was invited should indicate that the "viral" effect is working.

I'd call the user. Thank him for pointing out the broken things, and try to explain why this is happening. You should also ask how he was invited.

As the community manager I would ask him to elaborate on why he thinks it's a waste of time, chances are that others think its a waste of time and aren't even going to warrant this invitation with a response.  To combat that, use his response and your ideas to build the "I don't have time" excuse into your community management plan.   When you survey your users down the road I promise you will hear that excuse quite often and if you have a story built around this users response, people will listen.

I agree with Kevin, call him.  Show him you are a real person that cares.    

DGarber

This is timely!  I hear some similar kinds of comments. For those of us who are "believers" and spend time in collaboration every day, it's difficult to understand the resistance of some people. I think you would need to get inside his shoes and find out what are his day-to-day challenges. Find out how he currently communicates and with whom. Then strategize how online collaboration and social learning would improve his life.

FrankGebhardt

You got awesome feedback! Not only from that user and also from the Jive community.

Take a complaint as a gift. There are only few people who would respond in that way when they find a problem or things don't work as they expect. That allows you a valuable insight into your customer base and how they work. I totally agree with everybody else, Call the person. Any assumptions on your part (what is his training level, how did he get invited, what are his usual tools to his work, how is your Jive instance intended to help him do his job better, etc) is stifling any resolution and getting to a successful deployment.

Someone gave me the following "gift formula" when dealing with complaints (and that's fairly much in line with Kevin's approach)

1. say "thank you"
                  2. explain why you appreciate the complaint
                  3. apologise and empathise
                  4. promise to do something about it
                  5. ask for the necessary information
                  6. correct the mistake promptly
                  7. check customer satisfaction
                  8. prevent future mistakes

cheers

Frank

I really like my connections here in the group. I got some great response. I agree with Frank, I also got some good responses from the user in our new community. I had already decided to follow up with the user in person and let him know that I appreciate his comments and thank him for being a part of the pilot. I also want the other community managers to know that this is one negative comment within many many compliments. We do need to acknowledge the user with his negaitve comments, but we also need to keep focused on  those who will find value from the social media tool.  Thank you everyone.  Frank ...those are some great steps that you posted.

If anyone has anything else to add....please do.

lindsaymay

This is a great discussion, and is timely for some conversations that have taken place this week.  I often receive complaints from employees regarding the functionality of the site.  I agree that it is important to thank them for their feedback, LISTEN to them (sometimes people just need to vent) and then emphathise with them.

However, sometimes I find it difficult to promise to do something about the technology issue they are complaining about because many times it is totally out of our control to fix. This might be due to lack of budget to customize, or we might need to wait to upgrade to allow certain functionality that they are requesting.  One of my biggest personal pet-peeves is when someone promises to take action on something, and then nothing is done.

As the enterprise community manager, it is sometimes really easy to get bogged down with all of the negative comments and focus on the people who complain about some of the "trivial" aspects of the site (small bugs, formatting difficulty, etc). It is always a good reminder to keep focused on whose who get value from the tool, as so many of you have mentioned!

**I recently found this blog post that is sort of fitting that some of you might enjoy: Don't listen to lazy people. (NOT assuming all complainers are lazy)

Message was edited by: Lindsay May

Social Media is no longer a fad!

I here "waste of time" alot and it is often from people that think social media in general is a "waste of time". Alot of our sales people are very stuck in a purely email world and think that communities are a waste of time. All the way until they see a competitor post a comment on a "Social Media Community" and steal business and in turn money from their pocket. Only then do they start to realize the benefit of social media.

Transparency

Collaboration

Bottom up (rather than top down) messaging

If you can show the benefit of social media in general to these people it often will help them come around to being a pro-Jive user.

I did approach the naysayer as we discussed and i went well. As a matter of fact, I am taking some of the notes from our discussion here and I am putting a little tip sheet together for our community managers.  Thank you for all you input.  Frank, thanks for the outline.