5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2011 3:49 PM by bjewell

What is your Internal Social Media Strategy?

Hi,

We are looking at defining our Internal Social Media Strategy.  I wanted to collect ideas and examples.  Because of the complex ecosystem in large corporations, we have to address all the other communications tools and how we relate.  Since this is related to people, it needs to include the concept of adapting and changing.  While tactical items have measurements, how is a strategy measured?

I also wonder if the people asking for strategy really want to hear about goals and objectives.

What are your thoughts?  Any good strategy references or ideas?
      Thanks

Mike

• Re: What is your Internal Social Media Strategy?
          DGarber

I'm waiting for the responses too!

I'm a newbie at this as well, but I'll share what I can...

Our strategy has definitely evolved over time (and it's still not firm yet).  The big goal was "everyone collaborate."  We have a lot of distributed teams, and everyone said "Boy it'd be great if we had some way to share documents, project plans, etc."  So that became our compelling need, which drove the goal of better collaboration tools.

It also helped to look at the individual groups rather than the whole company.  I've been to several potential users internally and asked what their needs are.  We determine what the success criteria is for each group (number of users, reduced time to project completion - whatever is important to them), figure out a way to measure the criteria, and then appoint a "champion" from that specific area.  That's our liaison, and the person who has a vested interest in the success of the project.

The people asking for strategy may or may not want to know about goals/objectives - I'm guessing they will, though.  Start in broad strokes.  Paint a vision of the community first - we want the internal community to be the place where <fill in your overarching goal here> happens.  Your strategy is then to provide the tools, processes, technology, and training to make <overarching goal> happen.  Then, you get down to goals and objectives - we will establish 5 pilot programs with 3 different groups in the next 3 months...whatever.  Start lofty, then work down to specific details/measurements, not the other way around.

Also - someone just clued me into a book that may be useful in forming internal/external community strategies.  The book is Groundswell by Charlene Li and Josh Bernoff.  It's supposed to be very helpful in deciding what type of community you want and in forming community strategy.  I just ordered the Kindle version - I have only to download it and start reading (LOVE my Kindle, that's another topic!!!).

Hope this helps - please let me know if you have follow up questions.

Thanks.  You will need to filter and adapt heavily from the book since the focus is external.  We started with a similar need (objective).  As with a lot of communities, it grew organically.  Now, I am asked to fit a strategy on top of it.  While increasing, enabling, etc collaboration and knowledge sharing seems to be a default strategy, I wanted to see if anyone is thinking out of the box.

What about Knowledge capture?  Improve communications?

Using the collaborate and share strategy can run into the “we do not need it since we use email”.

Thanks

Mike

Hey there Mike-

This is less of a "social media strategy" and more of a "community strategy".  From the research I did for our community,  we identified the top 3 characteristics our community would have (out of 7 or more possibilities).

They were:

•   Sharing (volunteering information)

•   Relationships (connecting)

•   Groups (collaborating)

•   Presence (Broadcasting)

•   Reputation (status)

•   Content (consuming information)

•   Conversations (dialogue)

We picked 4, namely:

1.  Searching – finding the right experts and content for high quality and timely responses to client, department, locational queries and solutions.

2.  Connecting – becoming aware of one another, identifying commonalities, developing trust, encouraging/fostering collaboration.

3.  Collaborating – clusters of people around a common interest or goal.

4.  Sharing – sharing knowledge, ideas, expertise and best practices that is meaningful to people, across locations and departments/disciplines ultimately to demonstrate consistent actions on strategic directions.

Our overarching goal is to create a place that will help people connect to each other, to find the information, answers, examples and experts they need.

The objectives are speed, agility and findability.

Your strategy is largely going to depend on what your goal is of your community.  What do you want to achieve? Is it behaviour change? Is it brand engagement? The possibilities are limitless why did you install Jive in the first place? I'm confused as to why your company is asking for this post launch- or perhaps the strategy has evolved...

bjewell

This is a big question. For our social business initiative, which includes Jive and other apps, we have a vision, mission, key focal points or imperatives (which are measurable), and then our strategies are really tied to specific audiences we've identified as important to achieving our mission. We work on projects that will drive engagement in satisfaction in those audiences. The projects are usually at the org or business unit level and they employ things like connecting, collaborating, knowledge capture, etc. to achieve business goals.