3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2011 6:56 AM by bjewell

International users - native language

Mlavoie

Have an interesting thing happening on our employee-only communities.  I've begun to notice more and more content being posted in Japanese; and I expect that as time goes on this may expand into other languages.

It's an interesting phenomenon.  I can't say that it drives collaboration since most of our users cannot read Japanese, but it certainly drives collaboration among Japanese users who are wholeheartedly joining the conversation.

All of our employees do speak and read English, but I would imagine that when they are in their home country with their peers they would naturaly speak, write and collaborate  in their native tongue.

So what do you make of this?  Is it a good thing in terms of global engagement?  Or maybe a not-so-good thing because it may fracture collaboration?

• Re: International users - native language
          tmaurer

Hi Michelle,

We do encourage this in our employee-only community for the reasons you state above. Also, Google Translate has plug-ins for all three main browsers, so that is an option to suggest to employees who might want to collaborate in these areas but can't natively read. It obviously isn't perfect, but you can get a general gist. We're also hoping that someone will create a widget for the Jive Apps studio that will do translation.

Hope this helps!

Bart.Schutte

I think it's a good thing as well.  Any collaboration is better than no collaboration.  the people that need to collaborate on subjects that are international will naturally do it in english.  What would be useful is to encourage local people to translate and link content that they think would have a broader scope.  It will also be helpful if the Japanese and others at least try to tag their content using english tags.  than at least it will show up in searches.

bjewell

Agree with Bart and Tracy. The only thing we do is try to watch the creation of those groups and discourage groups on the same topics from showing up in multiple languages. Not doing so creates more silos that slow down the diffusion of knowledge across the company. For example, if we have a product or service that is sold and used the same way around the world, we try to ensure there is only one group that all employees can join to stay informed and collaborate.