7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2011 8:54 AM by gjagai

Bulk Email Subscription

gjagai

Hi,

Does anyone know is it is possible to bulk subscribe a group of users to a space? We are looking to eliminate a dlist  or two and bulk subscribing the members to a space would make the transition much easier. I found this post: Automatically subscribe users to a particular subcommunity but no recent updates.

Thanks

Gian...

• Re: Bulk Email Subscription

Gian,

One thing I've done is taken the emails from the distribution list and sent a few introductory emails announcing the migration of communication from DL to Jive.    Then once you have hit your date of migration/DL D-day,  you can send one final email with the link to the Space and intstructions to Follow the Space/Receive email notifications.

gjagai

Hi Luke,

How large was the dlist? And what was your experience with that process? i.e. Did you get lots of hate mail?

Gian…

The largest I had was 125 people and my experience was mixed.   I did have the people that wanted to high-five me immediately after and I did have the people that had the old gaurd attitude that the DL was "theirs".

One disclaimer I would include in your messaging is that you are giving them the option to subscribe to email notifications.    I also always tell them you will now be able to view discussions in a threaded manner so you don't miss anything in context.

trishaliu

Hello Gian - I am not aware of a bulk-subscribe feature, so we took an approach similar to what Luke described. We conducted training sessions for members of the DL to teach them how to:

• Login to the community
                • Find the space or group
                • Click 'receive email notifications' (or 'join this group')

The training was positioned as 'the community is replacing the email DL. If you follow these steps, then your experience will be the same as email (i.e., the content will still be delivered to you).'

The training also covered how to search, and how to start a discussion. We encouraged folks to search for answers first before starting a new thread.

Our DLs included probably around 150 to 200 employees. There was no hate mail and the adoption has been very high.

I hope this is helpful!

Trisha

crossman

Trisha Liu wrote:

then your experience will be the same as email (i.e., the content will still be delivered to you).'

Did you get any push-back from users who no longer received notifications of their own messages (which they would have received using email aliases)? We've had a bunch of folks complain when they don't get alerts for their own messages ("I want to make sure my note was sent out" or "I like to save a copy of the message I sent").

trishaliu

Hi Kevin -

Did you get any push-back from users who no longer received  notifications of their own messages (which they would have received  using email aliases)?

We sure did. That was a downside of positioning the change of 'just like email' - it is not EXACTLY the same as email. Some of our users want exactly the email experience, including being able to receive a copy of your own posts, and also ability to see the full thread in each email notification (not just the new content). We have not implemented any customizations to address these requests.

Trisha

gjagai

Hi Trisha,

Trisha Liu wrote:

Hello Gian - I am not aware of a bulk-subscribe feature, so we took an approach similar to what Luke described. We conducted training sessions for members of the DL to teach them how to:

• Login to the community
                        • Find the space or group
                        • Click 'receive email notifications' (or 'join this group')

The training was positioned as 'the community is replacing the email DL. If you follow these steps, then your experience will be the same as email (i.e., the content will still be delivered to you).'

The training also covered how to search, and how to start a discussion. We encouraged folks to search for answers first before starting a new thread.

Our DLs included probably around 150 to 200 employees. There was no hate mail and the adoption has been very high.

I hope this is helpful!

Trisha

I'm trying to remove as many barriers to participation. And to me its pretty easy to self subscribe. But its not as prominent on the page, and sometimes managers would like to get started on Jive and automatically subscribe their team. I think some focused training as you did would be very helpful. Thanks!

Gian...