7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2011 11:36 AM by gjagai

Folders vs Tags

gjagai

Hi All,

I was curious if anyone has a presentation / document that they can share that describes the benefit of Tags over your typical nested folders.

Thanks

Gian...

• Re: Folders vs Tags
          bjewell

Gian, I can't seem to find anything in my bookmarks, but you might try searching for folksonomy on slideshare.

gjagai

Thanks Brice.

I was hoping to find something specific to Jive Categories & Tags vs Folders. This is another big difference for users coming from SharePoint and Microsoft in general.

Gian…

Hi,

We put together a simple slide set to show the difference.  Basically you can only place a document in a folder (ignoring pointers and copies).  With a tag you can have it listed in multiple locations and by changing the tags, have it move to a new location.  When the item refers to more than one thing, people using folders will put it in the "wrong" one, according to the other folks looking for it.

Mike

gjagai

Thanks Mike. I think the use case of ‘how a single doc cannot live in multiple folders’ is probably the best way to illustrate the advantage.

I’ve found there are two ways in which users interact with the system.

1.      The Microsoft Way – using a hierarchy and browsing to the location where their content lives

a.      The MSFT way uses folders

b.      Users have been trained for years to do this in Windows, Outlook and SharePoint

c.       They use this performing work related tasks, and is the dominant context at work

d.      In this use case they typically own the content

2.      The Google Way – using search to find what you need and then putting your content there

a.      The GOOG way uses tags and categories

b.      Users are now used to having search return what they need within the first 2-3 results

c.       They use this at home or work when searching for content that is on the internet

d.      In this use case they are consuming the content

I guess its another ‘just educate the user’ scenario.

Gian…