4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2011 8:49 AM by jeremy54

Moving hosting outages on Friday night into Saturday morning?

jeremy54

My company has offices all over the world and some locations, like Dubai, work on Sundays as part of the normal work week.  The Jive SBS solution is becoming more critical to our business and the outage today was disruptive for half of the working day in Dubai.  An easy solution would be to move the maintenance windows from Saturday night to Friday night PST.  Is that possible?

Best,
      Jeremy

• Re: Moving hosting outages on Friday night into Saturday morning?
          tmaurer

+1 from UBM. We got notice from some of our personnel there as well that they were frustrated with not being able to access the site on what is for them a normal workday.

jeremy54

Bob, the timing of the maintenance outages continues to be an issue.  The Dubai outage is 9:00am - 2:00pm (working day).

Can I tell my business that we will come up with a reasonable solution that will minimize the outage during the working day in Dubai?

Thanks,

Jeremy

robert.brown

Jeremy,

We picked Saturday evening because that is when Sunguard schedules their maintenance events.  So if they need to do maintenance, and we aren't on the same schedule, there are potentially 2 maintenance windows that customers are subjected to.  The only other potential option is Friday evening that would minimize impact on customers.  I am meeting with the Sungaurd execs next week and will bring this topic up with them to see what kind of flexbility they have.

The good news is the majority of these maintenance events don't involve service interruption unless something goes wrong.

jeremy54

Bob,

That’s great news, thanks for pushing it.  I would definitely prefer Friday night if possible.

On a related note (this is a longer term goal possibly worth aspiring to) it would be great if you could get to the point of personalizing the maintenance window to my hosted instance and segment the window into “no impact”, “reduced performance” and “possible or expected outage” time ranges.  I would likely only announce to business the last category which may greatly reduce the perception of downtime associated with the maintenance.

Best,

Jeremy