3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2011 7:37 AM by DrSteve

Wikis - one more time

Tim Gray

Here is the discussion thread I found discussing wiki and the lack of support for wiki markup -

What's missing from that discussion is how community managers deal with content that consists of documents (and/or folders) that are nested or hierarchical in design, given no wiki markup?

I'm interested in any ideas/workarounds or best practices.  One of our use cases (large Canadian Bank - 80k employees) is in our solutions architecture group where the documentation for large projects is significant and I'm at a bit of a loss to understand how we could manage the document artifacts created in support of this kind of large initiative.

• Re: Wikis - one more time
          DrSteve

Hi Tim,

This is a bit of a sore point for us as well. Jive is not the best for wiki-like functionality. My big gripes are:

• The lack of a 'wanted page' link (as your discussion thread link highlights).
          • Differencing between document versions Fix broken document comparison once the page has 10kb of html (only a page or two if you have a table in there).
          • RSS feeds chuck out the entire document content again, even if the change was just a single word - users have to play spot the difference.

Having said that, Jive does lots of other things so well. But how to get a wiki-like structure? Well, what I've found that works to some degree is:

• Create a top level structure using spaces and sub spaces (but as few as possible)
          • Create a document in your space to act as the main starting page for the wiki
          • Customise the space landing page to display a 'View Document' widget, and set this to be your main starting page document
          • Create links in this document to other documents to start your hierachy

I tend to keep two browser windows open whilst I'm editing a page, so I can use the second browser window to create the pages I need to link to. It's not too inconvenient as you can use the 'history' tab in the A@ window to quickly find the page link.

There isn't a nice widget that gives you a tree view of the document structure (like Confluence) unfortunately. But it should be possible to write  a plug-in.

1 person found this helpful
              Tim Gray

Thanks, creative uses of spaces and perhaps projects and categories seems to have some potential.

DrSteve

You may be less interested in the wiki aspects if your requirements are to manage MS office documents.

• Create a space for each large development, then under that create projects that contribute to it.
                  • Put information that needs to live on in the top level space (such as user guides etc)
                  • Put information that will die with the project at project level (meeting minutes) etc
                  • Use categories and tags to group information in the same way you might currently use sub-folders on a shared drive