11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2011 10:58 AM by nickjhowe

Status Updates

Del

Hello all.

I've been pretty quiet on here so far, enjoying the conversations but feel my participation is long over due - So I thought I'd share this tip with you. It may be a pretty basic one that you're already doing, but perhaps not.

Status updates are massively under used on our platform and we've been thinking of ways to encourage people to use them more, and this starts with bringing them to the surface more.

There is a "Community Activity" widget on the 'Your View' tab of the landing page, but this widget isn't available on the 'All Content' tab which is more commonly used by our community.

So on my 'your view' tab, I've added this widget and configured it so show 'everyone' and 'updates only'.

I've then taken the RSS feed from this widget and fed it into a RSS widget on the 'All Content' Tab.

By hiding the boarder of the widget and then placing a "Formatted Text" widget above it to act as a header (and again hiding the boarder), I've ended up with a basic "Status updates" widget.

Status Updates.jpg

It's working great and has been received well by users.  (Prior to adding this we'd crowdsourced a discussion asking "Which features do you think are underused and why" - a great exercise in itself - and Status Updates came up in the top 3 items).

So thats it, Top Tip #1.  I'm off to add this to the Jive Ideas pool.

Laters

• Re: Status Updates
          gjagai

Del Green wrote:

There is a "Community Activity" widget on the 'Your View' tab of the landing page, but this widget isn't available on the 'All Content' tab which is more commonly used by our community.

So on my 'your view' tab, I've added this widget and configured it so show 'everyone' and 'updates only'.

Hi Del,

What version of Jive do you run? I'm not able to find the community activity widget or edit another widget to show me the RSS feed for status updates.

Thanks

Gian..

Andrew Kratz

Del..great idea to leverage the RSS feed to bring it up to the main page.  I 100% agree that without this the status updates are buried.  Two other thoughts for you.  In Jive 5.0, the “What Matters” implementation brings status updates to the forefront.  Also, Jive Professional Services (or your own tech team if they have the right skill set) can allow that community Activity widget from the “my view” page to be shown on the main landing page.  It is a couple of hours of effort for them.  So may be worth the money if you are not planning on jumping to 5.0 for a while.

The advantage over what you did with RSS is that you get those nice filters on the community activity widget as well as the ability to update your status in that text box located in the community widget.

Hope this helps.

tmaurer

Hi Del,

I have mine confugured the way you do as well. I often check that view and then respond to people's status updates, like them, repost them. Seems to be a great way to promote activity. They get excited to see that other people are actually seeing what they are posting. And I also like the Top Liked Content widget that is available after 4.5 as well. At first there wasn't much showing up. but now as people have caught on, it has encouraged a lot more participation in people giving this kind of feedback on content.

Del

Hello Tracy

The Top Content widget is a good one.  We currently have an incentive running where users upload a video about a particular topic, and the video with the most 'likes' will win a prize (an ipad2).

Using this widget configured correctly helps show who the current leaders are.

The re-posting of users updates is a good idea too.  I'll start using that one

Emixam

Hi Del,

I've tried what you said and I just can't change the properties of the "Community Activity" widget.  I only get two choices : 'Custom Title' & 'Number of results'.

Have you tweak your widget in any other way?

I'm on jive 4.5.5

Thanks.

Del

Hello Maxime.

The 'Only Updates' and 'everyone' options are on the front end of the widget (at the top) - see the screenshot

Once you've picked the info you want - you can then use the RSS icon at the botton of the widget to get the feed

Community Activity.jpg

Does that help?

nickjhowe

The Filter isn't available for the 'small' version of the widget.  Has anyone found a way (other than using the RSS approach above) to recreate the functionality of the old 4.0 Status Updates small widget? i.e. have a small widget that allows you to update your status and shows other people's updates?