13 Replies Latest reply: Sep 27, 2011 7:07 AM by Mandar Tuljapurkar RSS

Jive Plugins

Elias Lecomte

Hi,

I have jive sbs 4.5 running locally, installed with maven.

However if i try to install a new plugin trough the admin interface, upload it, and then restart my jive with maven, I always get this error in the plugin screen:

The following plugins could not be loaded:

• video - Plugin error: Plugin video could not be loaded: no plugin.xml file found         delete

I restart jive this way:

To stop:

control + C

To restart:

/usr/local/apache-maven-2.2.1/bin/mvn -Dcargo.wait=true -P int integration-test

• Re: Jive Plugins
          Donald Rivard

Hi Elias,

I have not attempted to load the plugin via the admin interface when developing. I have always passed this in via the command line using the -DpluginDirs=.  For example here is the development commandline for my current project:

mvn -Dcargo.wait=true -Djive.ws.disabled=false -DskipTests=true  -P int cargo:start -DpluginDirs=C:\jive\plugins\demandware\jira_type_plugin\target\jira-type-plugin

You need to make sure that the plugin has been build and installed. And that you have the property set in the pom.xml for the web

<pluginDirs>${pluginDirs}</pluginDirs>

Hope this helps.

Elias Lecomte

For me that would be: mvn -Dcargo.wait=true -Djive.ws.disabled=false -DskipTests=true  -P int cargo:start -DPluginDirs=/Users/elias/Projects/eclipse-workspace/dummyCustomerSite/company-type/target/company-type

But that gives the error plugin.xml not found

What do you mean with build and installed?

I do mvn package..

Donald Rivard

Do you have a plugin.xml file in the /Users/elias/Projects/eclipse-workspace/dummyCustomerSite/company-type/target/company-type directory?

Elias Lecomte

Yes I do , that is the strange thing.

Donald Rivard

Can you do an ls -ls of that directory? Does the user that you are running mvn have proper rights to that directory?

Donald Rivard

I just noticed that you have the following:

mvn -Dcargo.wait=true -Djive.ws.disabled=false -DskipTests=true  -P int cargo:start -DPluginDirs=/Users/elias/Projects/eclipse-workspace/dummyCustomerSite/company-type/target/company-type

-DPluginDirs as the parameter you are passing in.
                              In the pom.xml file the value is -pluginDirs (lower case p). Can you check this in your pom.xml file to make sure that they are the same.

mvn -Dcargo.wait=true -Djive.ws.disabled=false -DskipTests=true  -P int cargo:start -DpluginDirs=C:\jive\plugins\demandware\jira_type_plugin\target\jira-type-plugin

mvn -Dcargo.wait=true -Djive.ws.disabled=false -DskipTests=true  -P int cargo:start -DPluginDirs=/Users/elias/Projects/eclipse-workspace/dummyCustomerSite/company-type/target/company-type

that

Elias Lecomte

That looks allright.

0 drwxr-xr-x  3 elias  staff    102 26 Apr 11:20 META-INF
                                8 -rw-r--r--  1 elias  staff   1323 26 Apr 11:20 cache-config.xml
                                0 drwxr-xr-x  8 elias  staff    272 26 Apr 11:20 classes
                                8 -rw-r--r--  1 elias  staff   2321 26 Apr 11:20 mail_template.xml
                                24 -rw-rw-rw-@ 1 elias  staff  11395 26 Apr 11:20 plugin.xml
                                8 -rw-r--r--  1 elias  staff   3111 26 Apr 11:20 readme.html
                                0 drwxr-xr-x  6 elias  staff    204 26 Apr 11:20 resources
                                8 -rw-r--r--  1 elias  staff   1564 26 Apr 11:20 sbs-ext.xml
                                8 -rw-r--r--  1 elias  staff   3841 26 Apr 11:20 schema.xml
                                32 -rw-r--r--  1 elias  staff  15151 26 Apr 11:20 spring.xml
                                16 -rw-r--r--  1 elias  staff   5287 26 Apr 11:20 struts.xml
                                8 -rw-r--r--  1 elias  staff    381 26 Apr 11:20 upgrade.xml

The thing is, if I replace <pluginDirs> with the path directly (in pom.xml), there is no problem!

So then I replace this line: <pluginDirs>${pluginDirs}</pluginDirs>

With: <pluginDirs>/Users/elias/Projects/eclipse-workspace/dummyCustomerSite/profiler/target/profiler</pluginDirs>

But sometimes it looks in the wrong folder for template files, so that gives errors.

Donald Rivard

Just so I am 100% clear, If you have the following in the pom.xml  <pluginDirs>${pluginDirs}</pluginDirs>

And you run with the following:

mvn -Dcargo.wait=true -Djive.ws.disabled=false -DskipTests=true  -P int cargo:start -DpluginDirs=/Users/elias/Projects/eclipse-workspace/dummyCustomerSite/company-type/target/company-type

making sure that the it is -DpluginDirs and not -DPluginDirs you get the error also?

Donald Rivard

I just tested my enviroment and when I changed:

To

mvn -Dcargo.wait=true -Djive.ws.disabled=false -DskipTests=true  -P int cargo:start -DPluginDirs=C:\jive\plugins\demandware\jira_type_plugin\target\jira-type-plugin

I got the error:

[INFO] [talledLocalContainer] 2011-04-26 09:50:50,842 [NonBlockingEventDispatcher-thread-2] [:] ERROR com.jivesoftware.base.plugin.PluginManager - Plugin null could not be loaded: no plugin.xml file found

[INFO] [talledLocalContainer] 2011-04-26 09:50:50,848 [NonBlockingEventDispatcher-thread-2] [:] ERROR com.jivesoftware.base.plugin.PluginManager - Plugin null could not be loaded: no plugin.xml file found

[INFO] [talledLocalContainer] com.jivesoftware.base.plugin.PluginException: Plugin null could not be loaded: no plugin.xml file found

Don

[INFO] [talledLocalContainer] 2011-04-26 09:50:50,842 [NonBlockingEventDispatcher-thread-2] [:] ERROR com.jivesoftware.base.plugin.PluginManager - Plugin null could not be loaded: no plugin.xml file found
                                        [INFO] [talledLocalContainer] 2011-04-26 09:50:50,848 [NonBlockingEventDispatcher-thread-2] [:] ERROR com.jivesoftware.base.plugin.PluginManager - Plugin null could not be loaded: no plugin.xml file found
                                        [INFO] [talledLocalContainer] com.jivesoftware.base.plugin.PluginException: Plugin null could not be loaded: no plugin.xml file found

Elias Lecomte

Yes thanks, that makes sure that I can add a plugin from maven + command line.

Elias Lecomte

I found out that a lot of errors that I have, have this origin:

There are 2 xml files, containing countries + country codes and business sectors.

The filepath was set to jiveHome + Plugins + Plugin name + resources / xml filename.

Since that I have the source code, and am trying to get it running (to probably extend it), the plugin is not in jive home but like this:

jive development project / plugin/ target/ plugin / resources / xml filename.

but it looks for: jive development project / target / jiveHome / plugins / resources / xml filename.

Would you have a solution that looks for the xml file based on plugin parent folder and not to the jiveHome folder?

lee_vettleson

This scenario can also occur due to a database driver incompatibility.

I had this issue in my development environment and for me it turned out to be a issue with my postgresql driver being incompatible. I have an existing postgresql 9.0 instance running so I opted to use that instead of the v8 that comes with the training class.

Everything seemed to work/run just fine until I wanted to install my sample plugin. On restart it complained that it couldn't find my plugin.xml. That was because it couldn't load the plugin from the database into my local jiveHome folder.

I had to change the version of my postgresql dependency from 8.3-603.jdbc3 to 9.0-801.jdbc4. Once I did that and restarted my jive instance, the plugin showed up under the plugins [admin] console properly.

(I spent 4+ hours googling/troubleshooting this so I'll be darned if I can't save someone else some time.)