2 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2011 7:55 PM by RyanSe

What are the dimensions you apply to measuring adoption?

Hi Folks

I'm currently trying to help my client figure out what a reasonable 'target state' might be for the use of SBS over the next 2 years. Intuitively it feels that just focussing on a single dimension of '% of users logged in and created a profile' is a bit bland and one dimensional given the scope of what is possible.

What other dimensions do you assess adoption against? How do you gauge how much the tool is being 'exploited' rather than 'used'? And what shifts do you typically see on these dimensions over the first 1-2 years?

Ultimately I'm trying to frame an answer for my client in terms of what is it realistic to achieve?

Thanks

• Re: What are the dimensions you apply to measuring adoption?

Hi,

The first thing I do is connect community usage with a corporate goal.  For us it is “innovation”.  To support that means we need to have collaboration and use the tool to spread (surface) ideas.  I continually try to move people away from page views and  to looking at the interactive elements, such as comments, replies, discussions, and ideas.

Need to think about and acknowledge any behavior shifts needed by the members.  For example, if the sales folks only use email and will not find a hot spot to login, then all the information displayed on the community landing page will never be seen.

Mike

• Re: What are the dimensions you apply to measuring adoption?
            RyanSe

Hi Lucy,

Realistically, every business is going to have slightly different definitions and goals. For us, we use our community primarily as a resolution tool so our ideal metrics for adoption are focused on getting our users to answer and resolve issues. Here are a few of the items we look at:

1. Usage pyramid - Measures % of user base who login, view, search, interact (defined as posting, rating, liking) and finally contribute (helpful/correct answers) in that order. Envision a user needing to hit a certain usage threshold before moving to the next level. The goal is to have users actively interacting each month is some fashion and ideally contiributing value via having their posts marked as helpful/correct.
            2. % of questions answered by community members vs. staff - In our ideal world, the community would be largely self sustaining with peer to peer answers accounting for the large majority.
            3. Speed of answer - How quickly are questions being answered. 

These are three of our primary areas of focus. We are seeing good numbers for peer-peer answers however many of the answers are coming from the same individuals so we are focusing on widening the group of users that provide answers each month.