4 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2011 9:36 AM by shannon_marie

Email Notification Triggers Documentation?

shannon_marie

I'm going to be creating a document for our community that clearly spells out what actions will and won't trigger an email notification. Before I go out and invent a wheel, I thought I'd post something here to see if anyone had already gone through the rigors of testing and compiling a document like this?

I've already put in Notification Trigger Documentation to see if we could (because we SHOULD) get this documentation directly from Jive instead of having to bend over backwards to test every possibly trigger scenario so that we can inform our users and be properly informed ourselves ... especially since ours is an environment where some folks are extremely sensitive about email.

If anyone has something like this -- even a start -- and is willing to share, it would be incredibly helpful. If not, I'll get cracking and share whatever I come up with here with the rest of the group.

Thanks in advance!

Shannon

• Re: Email Notification Triggers Documentation?
          crossman

I think there is an intuitive sense that if anyone does "something" to an item you've posted (comment, rate, edit, etc.) it would trigger a notification to the owner. But, it might not trigger notification to people following the community.  So, yeah, I do agree this is something that Jive ought to have documented.

shannon_marie

For us, it's particularly an issue at the group level, among populations that really bristle at any notification that they think doesn't pertain to them. (There's still a culture of "an email is a direct order or a to-do" that needs to be addressed, but that's a bigger behavior change than I can tackle in a 180,000+ population.)

It's the passive actions -- like moving a document, for example -- that unexpectedly trigger surprise notifications that are the most problematic. The person triggering didn't know and couldn't have been expected to know that it would trigger, and the population is unsettled by it. People begin to think that they can't do anything without every single person knowing about it, and so are hesitant to take any action at all. It's social media stage fright.

Andrew Kratz

Shannon...this was a blog post we did on our internal community dealing with email....hopefully the images come across and it adds some value to you...

Email: The Blessing and Curse

It won't take you long to realize that if you don't have the right e-mail notification settings in place on buzz you will either miss out on key postings or get hit with a fire hose like you are a protestor in the city square.  I can not claim to have found the perfect balance, but having been part of the build-out of Buzz I can share a couple of tips to get you started.  All I ask is that when you hit e-mail nirvana (or find a good tip) you pay it forward and share with the group!

First, turn it on.   Go to your profile.  The right box “Action Menu” has the “Edit Preferences” option.  The web page that is displayed has a second tab “E-mail Notification Preferences” as shown below.

email notification preferences.JPG

Content I Created

There are a lot of settings there, but the list of 18 “yes/no” settings are all basically saying “Buzz will send you an e-mail if someone interacts with content  you created or content you interacted with”.  You can see a few of the options in the above screen shot.  So these settings seem reasonable.  You probably do want to know right away if someone interacted with content you created or a discussion you participated in…so the defaults seem to work.

E-mail Summary

At the bottom of that list is the settings for a daily digest or summary.

Email Summary.JPG

This defaults to “never (send and e-mail)”, so I would suggest turning it on.  Depending if you like chocolate or Vanilla you can decide once a day , twice, or once  a week.  Since it is no more than once a day it is not very intrusive to your inbox.   We are interested in your feedback on this daily digest so give it some thought as you use it and let us know at Buzz Feedback Group.

Group Updates

This is one you really want to pay attention to. When you join a group there is a checkbox that defaults to getting e-mail notifications.

Join group.jpg

I recommend staring down at that checkbox and ask yourself  “do I really need to know immediately (via an e-mail) when someone posts content to this group”.   This checkbox is the fire-hose!  It is perfectly fine to join a group and when you are on Buzz for other reasons you will see content on the home page in the “Community Activity” section.  You will also be able to catch-up on the content when you visit the group via activity widgets.   Note that if you take the default settings in your profile as mentioned above you will get an e-mail notification for content you created or interacted with.  So you can still get an e-mail when someone is collaborating with you, but you do not need to get an e-mail for every postings in that group.

So for example, the Getting Startedand Buzz Feedback Group are quite busy now and there are lots of tips and enhancement ideas being posted.  But you probably can live with going to those groups from time to time on your terms and don't need an e-mail notification for every posting.

So it may seem natural then to accept e-mail notifications for an important group that is related to the heart of your work.  Say a department or project related group.  But I am starting to rethink this for myself.  If I naturally go to that group every day to do my work, do I also need an e-mail notification?  If the group has the widget “Recent activity” on the page (which I recommend) then I’m going to be looking at that 3 times a day as I do my day to day work anyway, so the emails will be redundant.

So e-mail notifications at a group level may be best suited for that gray area in between.   A group that is important enough to you that you want to stay connected on every post, but not one you naturally go to every day.  It is a tuff call that will require some trial and error to get right.

Inbox Rules

If you just can not get yourself to say “no” to e-mail updates for every group, then don't forget that you do have the ability to set-up rules in Outlook to at least move some of that content to another folder that you can review as you wish.  You don't want to miss out on an e-mail from your key client or manager because it was squeezed between Buzz content from the Water Cooler (no offense to the cooler!). This version of Buzz does not have the “mark read” feature (the next version does) so Outlook does add value there if you want to tick through the activity from a group in an outlook folder.   I will leave the specific “how to” on setting up outlook rules for Buzz content to someone else to keep this short.

So hopefully, this give you a few tips on e-mail notifications to get you started.

Let us know what is working for you!