1 Reply Latest reply on May 27, 2011 2:00 PM by bjewell

Is Federation on the roadmap for the future of Jive SBS?

Something has been nagging at me about social business systems since I came back from the New Way talk. What does the future of social business systems look like when/if most businesses have a system? For example, how will employees of different companies, each with thier own Jive SBS system, collaborating on a project together decide where the main project space is hosted, or how the data will be shared between separate SBS systems? Will Jive SBS systems (and other social business systems for that matter) federate or some how inter-connect in the future? Is that a reasonable thing to do? Will there be arguments over who's system gets used as the repository for a particular set of content?

• Re: Is Federation on the roadmap for the future of Jive SBS?
          bjewell

This is a very hard problem to solve for, and I'm not sure there will ever be an answer. The problem is complicated by the fact that most businesses likely have SSO sitting on top of Jive and their own policies and protocols around it. The lawyers could spend months reviewing another company's policies to determine if they'll even trust an identity coming from that company, not to mention the development work involved to support it. Multiply that by X number of companies whose identities you would be willing to entertain federation with. The business world is very different from the consumer world. In the consumer world, if I'm writing a web app today it's largely expected that I'd support federation with FB and Twitter. But in the business world, if I run a private Jive community for a financial services company, would I allow a user to log into my community using their jivespace (this site) account? Of course not, reason #1 being the fact that my username and password requirements are much more stringent than on this site.

In your scenario, I think it's just going to come down to "your place or mine" to decide where the cross-org collaboration takes place, and subsequently, who has to create a new account on whose community.

1 person found this helpful