20 Replies Latest reply: Jun 5, 2013 10:04 AM by Ryan King RSS

Catalyst Plug In

Chris.Lawton

What does the catalyst plug-in do, and how can I explore it?

• Re: Catalyst Plug In
          cowboyboo

Hi Chris,

Noticed you had a couple unanswered questions floating around out here so here I am again On first blush I'm not finding any sales collateral that would provide a nice, tidy overview of the Catalyst, but I've provided a listing of the included widgets below. What I would recommend is posting this as a case to our support team in your dedicated customer group, and they can connect you with your account manager as needed to get you more details.

Here are the widgets it includes:

1. Lobby Widget - Filter content by groups, categories, and tags
          2. Social Group Tag Widget - Aggregate all groups that share a specific tag (or tags)
          3. Active Participants Widget - View all currently logged-in users
          4. Blog Summaries - View a roll-up of recent posts, including a 200-char summary of each
          5. Watch Tags Widget - Aggregate content sharing a list of specified tags
          6. My Profile Widget - View the general profile info of the currently logged-in user
          7. Pick A Blog Widget - Select a specific blog to feature on the home page (e.g., always show the latest post from the CEO's blog)
          8. Enhanced Navigation Widget - Surfaces the currently logged-in user's content
          9. Find People Widget - Provides dedicated people search functionality
              FrankGebhardt

I didn't know about the Catalyst plugin although the Essential Plugin provides a similar feature set.

1. OnlineMembersWidget - Shows all users online.
              2. EnhancedBlogWidget - Does an abbreviation of blogs (first 200 chars) with read more and pulls images from the blog to identify them better with a failover to the users avatar.
              3. WatchTagsWidget - Specify as many tags that you want to see. NOTE: the installation of the Essential Plugin will replace the default 'Watch a tag' widget with this 'Watch Multiple Tags" widget
              4. MyProfileWidget - Shows your profile, your status, your work, etc.
              5. PickYourBlogWidget - Specify the exact blog to show.
                  tmaurer

Catalyst is the Essential Plugin rebranded for 4.5 and later versions. Or at least that was my understanding.

CurtisG

That is pretty much it.  Rebrand + or - a few widgets that were added to the core product.

FrankGebhardt

Cool - and Catalyst is the plugin for version 4.5 if I understand correctly. But it is not listed in the Plugins directory? I'm confused.

tmaurer

And Curtis, can you also tell us if Catalyst has a 5.0 version?

The one additional widget that I remember in Catalyst is the Lobby widget. And although it is really cool in theory, performance of the widget is a bit dicey.

cowboyboo

Hi Tracy, there is indeed a 5.0-friendly version of this plugin (note however that a few of the individual widgets were rolled into the core product as of 5.0).

Frank, my suspicion re: why there aren't listed is that since all plugins (recently rebranded as "extensions") available via our Professional Services group 1) carry an additional cost and 2) do not require a separate license key, we presumably keep them off the site to prevent people from downloading and installing them without purchasing them.

Hope that helps!

CurtisG

Hi Tracy, it would appear that the Lobby is still part of the package.  If it does have performance issues, please let us know so we can get some fixes in place.

tmaurer

Not sure if there are issues with it in Jive 5. Maybe I should add it to one of our private groups to test it out. I can tell you that in we've had performance issues with it all along in 4.5 and 4.6. I think it is a GREAT widget, but I it is slow to load when you switch topics. I've always assumed that is because the queries it has to load to filter all the content on the assigned tags is a bear to run. Let me know where you'd like me to comment and/or provide information and I'll do so. Ted will also have input as he is more sensitive to the performance of it than I am. I think I cut it more slack realizing the work it has to do.