28 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2017 2:21 AM by tburak

Deleting Social Groups

As an Admin for our Jive Instance, shouldn't have have permission rights to delete social groups (open, public, private, and secret)?  Right now I only have authority to delete groups I have created.  Do we need to change a system setting?

• Re: Deleting Social Groups
          lindsaymay

Hi Jen,

I've got admin rights and I have access to delete groups. What version are you on? We're on 4.0.12 right now. Wondering if thats a change in newer versions of Jive...

crossman

System admins should be able to delete social groups. That's been my experience with 3.0.x and 4.5.x

DGarber

We are currently on 4.08 and we cannot delete groups, spaces or projects!

Donna, it sounds like you need to have a permissions conversation with your system administrator.

DGarber

Gia, Unfortunately, no one at HDS can delete groups or spaces.  We are told it will be corrected when we upgrade to 4.5.5.2.

Donna - we are running 4.5.4 and while I cannot delete groups (as Administrator of the system - I just do not have database rights), our Systems Admin can delete the groups.   Hopefully when we upgrade to 4.5.6 I will be able to delete social groups.  Hate to continue to put that burden on our Systems Admin as I am responsible for overall Jive instance.

crossman

In 4.5.x, Group Owners and System Admins can delete groups. I believe this is consistent between all the 4.5.x releases (I can certainly confirm it to be the case for 4.5.4, 4.5.5, and 4.5.6.

So, if you want to be able to delete groups I think you'll need to be a system admin. That's an admin console setting that's very easy to flip over for your account (if appropriate, of course...).

Thanks Kevin - good to know.  In my opinion it does not make sense that individuals with overall admin rights cannot delete groups.  Due to security reasons (and the fact that I could really screw things up from a technical standpoint), I cannot be granted full system admin rights so it leaves us with no other option than to have our systems admin do clean-up and delete groups as needed. Not too ideal.  Do you know if this is changed in 5.0 release?

Andrew Kratz

We are on 4.5.5 hosted and our full admin id's can delete groups.  

I wanted to also add this to the discussion.  We have some significant business units and divisions of the company that are looking to create Jive groups instead of Intranet sites.  One concern they have is how easy it is for a group admin to delete the group.  A disgruntled admin can delete the group and all of its content in two easy clicks (delete and are you sure).  For some of these admins they also may be working in our test environment looking at new features coming etc..  They may have thought they were in a test environment and deleted a group but it was production.  Sounds unlikely, but the other concern is that when we discussed with Jive how we might restore a group that was deleted it sounded like significant work.  So long story short, we are considering removing the delete a group feature from the theme and only allow an community admin to perform that function.  Curious if others came across this.

crossman

Deleting groups is done in the main user interface, so I doubt that if you had that permission and never (or rarely) visited the admin console that you could do much damage.

crossman

It two-plus years with Jive we haven't had any issues with group owners accidentally or maliciously deleting their social Group communities (or, for space admins to do the equivalent).

jjoseph

I too have the similar issue, that i can't delete/moderate social groups. We are using v6 of jive but being an admin i don't have the rights to delete social groups created by users of our community. can somebody provide directions as I am fairly a new user of JIVE?

peter_c

Internally we have decided not to allow anybody anymore to delete groups or spaces (gone for good, gone forever). In Jive 5 space admins and group owners still had this possibility, but after a major incident we removed these rights.

We advice group owners to put a [to be deleted] in front of their group names and make them secret, so they don´t show up in the search anymore. Only super admins like me have the right to delete spaces and groups.

to_be_deleted.PNG

Mark Mazza

Hi Peter, appreciate this was a while ago now but wondered if this was setting in Jive 5 that's no longer available in Jive 8, or did you customise Jive to remove the 'delete group' rights from all users?

Martin Holmes - please can you confirm this isn't an option in Jive 8 and it's not that I'm missing something?  Thanks

russell.pearson

Do you know what happened with these admin options John Schwiller ?

martin.holmes

Hey Mark,

...please can you confirm this isn't an option in Jive 8 and it's not that I'm missing something?

Could you please confirm for me what you're looking for. Do you want to remove the ability for users (apart from Admins) to delete social Groups? If you could provide some detail as to exactly what you want to happen & who should be able to do that, I'll be able to help further.

Thanks,

Martin

1 person found this helpful
                                                tburak

Hi Martin Holmes  - I have the same request -

All Users - able to create groups

Only Admins - able to delete groups

We don't actually ever 'delete' groups, but simply change them to Secret, remove all members, post an announcement that the group has been archived / moved / merged

For compliance reasons, we need to keep a record that the group existed, and its contents.  And, we have had issues with people deleting groups mistakenly, and asking us to recover, which we know isn't possible.

Is this possible in cloud?

martin.holmes

Mark & Tanya - nothing has changed in this area for a very long time & there is nothing on the roadmap to suggest this will change anytime soon.

For Jive 8/9 you should be able to customize the theme to remove that option for all non-Admin users, however the Cloud Theming Tool doesn't allow this level of customization yet so sadly there aren't any options there

Mark Mazza

Thanks Tanya, this is exactly what we're wanting to do as well, prevent users from deleting groups that they have admin permissions for.  Looks like I may have to investigate a custom theme to 'remove' the delete link, but that then puts an overhead on a central team.  How do you prevent your users from deleting, have you gone down the custom theme route or is there a setting in the Admin Console which disables groups from being deleted (I can't find one)?

tburak

Hi Mark Mazza - the only safety net we have is our guidance notes, on our jive resource page which tell users to contact the central admin team, should they want to delete a group. I can only assume that they have in each instance, but, couldn't prove that we have known about all deleted groups.

The only saving grace about Jive 7 + and cloud, is that groups are now so difficult to build, manage and configure, users can rarely succeed on their own, and usually come to us for help building, so they also come to us when the group is no longer needed.

gsamuels

Been wanting to figure this one out too. The only people who have "full" admin rights are our COO and CEO. However, they can't be responsible for handling requests we get from people to delete social groups/spaces as we need them. They have better things to worry about.

So, my question is, is it possible to have full admin rights MINUS the ability to delete private groups. I think that's the only thing that the CEO/COO don't want us (as admins) to be able to peer into (understandably).