12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2011 8:56 AM by Julie Cardinali Brancik

Examples of the Ideation Module in Support of Enterprise Innovation

shannon_marie

Hi All,

I'm working closely with our internal innovation group, which has been an early adoptor of the Ideation Module in our Jive instance. They've made good use of the feature, but are looking for other examples of how folks have used it to support their innovation processes.

Thus far, they've found it helpful for managing Idea submissions and the voting feature helps gauge interest / priority, but they're struggling with how to use the tool to manage the ideas beyond the submission point -- so once they enter the innovation funnel. I'm wondering if anyone has had success with this using the Ideation Module? Or, alternatively, if anyone has found a supporting plugin or integrating tool that helps with this end of the innovation process, that would be helpful, too.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Shannon

• Re: Examples of the Ideation Module in Support of Enterprise Innovation
          Brad.Fitzgerald

We've actually found the opposite.  We added the ideation module after our community had been active for a year. Before the ideation module, ideas were presented in the context of a discussion and we now find that people would like to continue doing that.

In fact, I kind feel the same thing happens here in the Jive Community. I see a lot of ideas presented in discusison, and a moderator says "That's a good idea, could you put it XXXX."  It feels disruptive to the flow and risky that the user will take the time to go back into the system to create the idea.

I would be interested in seeing if there are other people who have the same problem and how they have overcome it.

I am very interested in this as well.  I believe that Ideation will be one of the primary uses to get our company's population to adopt the platform.  I have submitted a question in the Internal Community Manager's group Developing Process Improvement Program as a Group??.  I realize that my question is more specific to a particular use of Ideation, but managing Ideas is something that I have been thinking about.

I too feel like Ideas can be disruptive in the flow of discussion. My hope is to start a practice of developing groups across the enterprise for innovation with Ideas.  I hope we can get a good discussion going here.

jmarathe

The ideation module in its current state is under-cooked and lacks some very basic capabilities for it to be effective. Here are some deficiencies we found -

1. Cannot export or email the idea as a document for further consideration of the idea.

2. Ideas cannot be featured.

3. The anonymous idea posting is not anonymous (bug - fix is on its way) because it notifies members of the group indicating that 'xyz' just posted an anonymous idea

4. The ideas data type is not supported by the REST interface, so developing reports on ideas similar to other data types is not possible. Ideas do not show up in the cumulative content creation graph on the dashboard either!

5. The  Top Ideas widget is can only list ideas that are 'Active', you cannot include other states.

6. There is no indication of the count (number) of ideas that have been submitted.

We continue to uncover more issues everyday. As I mentioned to our sales representative, the only reason why we have purchased this module is because of the urgency of the request from our CEO. I cannot imagine anyone paying the list price for this module in its current state of quality. I would rate this product as beta at best.

AmandaS

Very good posting @jmarathe

#4 in your list is a biggie for us both for reporting and because we already have work tracking systems in place.  We'd like to vett ideas in the social forum and then pull them into work tracking when a decision has been made to give the idea to a team.  It would run it's course there and then become "delivered" in SBS when available. 

I've also posted elsewhere that I think the tab view for Ideas took a step back in usefulness in 5.0.  Ideas should be special, with a special UI treatment that helps prove the value, enhance the value, help admins/managers manage ideas etc..  Dropping Ideas in like any other content type doesn't make sense to me.  Ultimately someone has to make a decision on an Idea - there is some management involved and the feature itself really warrants some special attention.  And as I'm trying to prove the value of ideation internally, the more they look like discussions the harder it is to explain why we want/need to call out Ideas as something special via a fee-based module.

I also think the general lack of bulk management capabilities shows itself a lot with ideas (e.g. filter on the Category "ideation" in the Product Innovation area.  You will see Ideas that appear to be incorrectly categorized as Ideation.  Fun times to anyone who has to fix that - or it will just never be addressed/used). 

Lastly, being able to convert a discussion to an Idea could be useful so as not to interrupt the flow as people have stated above.

Julie Cardinali Brancik

jmarathe wrote:

The ideation module in its current state is under-cooked and lacks some very basic capabilities for it to be effective. Here are some deficiencies we found -

1. Cannot export or email the idea as a document for further consideration of the idea.

2. Ideas cannot be featured.

3. The anonymous idea posting is not anonymous (bug - fix is on its way) because it notifies members of the group indicating that 'xyz' just posted an anonymous idea

4. The ideas data type is not supported by the REST interface, so developing reports on ideas similar to other data types is not possible. Ideas do not show up in the cumulative content creation graph on the dashboard either!

5. The  Top Ideas widget is can only list ideas that are 'Active', you cannot include other states.

6. There is no indication of the count (number) of ideas that have been submitted.

We continue to uncover more issues everyday. As I mentioned to our sales representative, the only reason why we have purchased this module is because of the urgency of the request from our CEO. I cannot imagine anyone paying the list price for this module in its current state of quality. I would rate this product as beta at best.

Can you explain the comment in #3?  We use ideation for our entire process.  Are you talking about a user that hasn't logged in?  If so, how would it notify members that "xyz" user posted something?