10 Replies Latest reply: Aug 7, 2012 8:39 AM by Mike Pallia RSS

Non-exempt employees behaving differently than full-timers?

Jesse Kane

My company has a significant number of part-time employees, mostly in call centers around the United States. Is there anyone with a sizeable hourly workforce? If so, have you found any major differences in how the part-timers use or behave on Jive, compared to your FT employees?

My experience says "No, a PT employee will behave as well or bad as any FT employee."  My stakeholders say, "Prove it, please."

• Re: Non-exempt employees behaving differently than full-timers?
          Kevin Crossman

We have not experienced any noticable differences between employee types.

Brad Fitzgerald

My experience has shown that the management of part-time people are much less open to allowing their employees to collaborate and therefore part-timers collaborate less.

The quality of collaboration does not change once allowed to do so, though.

Line6Miller

I can't offer any input on your question but I'm fairly intrigued by why your superiors asked you to prove this out. Is it because they are hesitant to provide part timers with SBS access?

Tracy Maurer

My interpretations of what is said and unsaid:

1. Risk of important information leaving the company. Especially important if you are publicly traded.
                  2. Possible distraction from getting "real work" done.

Both are generally covered in other corporate policies, NDAs etc. that are part of the working contract, but that doesn't mean these are easy objections to overcome. Especially with a working population that is generally considered "less committed" to the success of the business.

Anneke Blair

I think we are in a similar situation Jesse & honestly we expected the worst but were told that the Community will police itself. It was actually very surprising to see that our employees behaved very well and did police each other. We also see reps provide coaching to one another around being positive etc.

We were also careful to set expectations around employee conduct as well as setting the filters on the backend to alert us if any behavior that was inappropriate were to take place.

• Non-exempt employees behaving differently than full-timers?
                    Jesse Kane

Some areas are hesitant to provide our phone reps with access because of a belief they won't get "real work" done and they'll abuse the freedom SBS gives them.  But as it has been noted in this conversation, the fear of these behaviors is greater than the actual risk

Erin Connors

I have a similar situation and was wondering how yours worked out. We have many full time employees and a large 200 person call center. I encouraged all employees to register for and participate on our external customer facing community. There is similar worry that employees will abuse the site or not get work done. I have distributed community /social media guidelines, blog posts, videos and documents are all moderated. Discussions are not but profanity filters are set up. I think its a shame that our employees would be discouraged from participating. Do you have any advice on how to alleviate manager worry? We may possibly have over 100,000 customers registering for the site in the next few months. I feel like we will need all the employee help we can get once we reach that goal.

Andrew Kratz

I think there are two sides to attack here.  Many of the above posts speak to how professionals (part or full time) behave equally well on a company sponsored collaboration tools for a variety of reasons (posts are not anonymous, they value their job, etc..)  The other side of the equation is how the platform can add value to management/company.  A part-time work force is by definition not spending as much time at work as their full time counter-parts, so having quick an easy access to best practices, Q&A with internal experts, How to's, etc... can bump up the service they are providing clients.  In addition, projects and groups focused on their work area can also add considerable value.  I have had a couple of service/help desks leverage Jive groups/projects to collaborate and continually improve call scripts, knowledge-base of FAQ through staff interaction on how things really work, etc..

My suggestion would be to propose a pilot.  You won't get all of the business benefits until you scale it up.  But by starting small and growing you can reduce the perceived risk that part-time staff are going to lose productivity and not get their work done.   By the way, my typical response to that question is to ask if they have access to email, instant messaging or the internet.  If they do, then the staff already has 1,000's of ways to goof-off via emailing/IM-ing friends, surfing countless web-sites...and yet they are still productive despite these distractions. 

Mike Pallia

Jesse, this is a very common obstacle at any level of the organization and there are lots of articles and research that state the exact opposite of what you are hearing.   Here's the two approaches we used to calm these objections: 1) Social Business = More engaged employees = more productivity and 2) Focus on how social business helps your best employees do their jobs even better.  There are plenty of metrics that show how social helps people find things faster and get input/feedback more effectively.